amygadge

passport in interview

15 posts in this topic

My passport was in my company i wonder how many days will i need to tell them so that i can borrow that. Is there anyone else have any idea here in abu dhabi know's this. Thanks...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My passport was in my company i wonder how many days will i need to tell them so that i can borrow that. Is there anyone else have any idea here in abu dhabi know's this. Thanks...

you have to borrow your own passport? You will need for interview and if approved it may take several weeks before getting back. If denied you can get back same day. If the put you in AP (Additional Processing), they will likely let you keep it and request it from you later if approved out of AP.

you have to borrow your own passport? You will need for interview and if approved it may take several weeks before getting back. If denied you can get back same day. If the put you in AP (Additional Processing), they will likely let you keep it and request it from you later if approved out of AP.

yes i need to borrow from my company while im working with them. i see, thanks for your answer and giving me an idea.

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiancee will have this same problem. In UAE, seems a lot of employers hold onto the employee's passports. It's tricky for the employee to get their passport, and also to get the time off of work, come time to go for the interview. My fiancee has to declare her vacation time at beginning of the year. Since she won't know her interview date until the middle, she has to come up with excuse to change her time.

My fiancee will have this same problem. In UAE, seems a lot of employers hold onto the employee's passports. It's tricky for the employee to get their passport, and also to get the time off of work, come time to go for the interview. My fiancee has to declare her vacation time at beginning of the year. Since she won't know her interview date until the middle, she has to come up with excuse to change her time.

That sounds ridiculous.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

i just found this Article

Apparently private businesses and government institutions that withhold their employees' passports are breaking the law but it is a common practice.

Excuse my ignorance, but isn't that illegal?

I think it's just their way of securing the employees are not going to run away while under contract. But I've read sometime ago that in UAE it's illegal for the employers to hold their employees passport as it is their personal property :blush:

K1
05/22/12 - Mailed I-129F
08/17/12 - Approved I-129F NOA2 (85 days)
11/19/12 - Approved Visa!! (179 days)
12/01/12 - POE Honolulu, HI
12/21/12 - Wedding Day!
AOS, EAD and AP
01/05/13 - Mailed I-485, I-765 and I-131
01/09/13 - USCIS accepted case and received text
01/11/13 - Cashed check
01/08/13 - Received NOA1
01/18/13 - Received Biometrics Appointment Notice
01/22/13 - Early Biometrics Walk-in (scheduled Feb 7)
01/27/13 - We're pregnant!!
02/04/13 - Received Appointment Notice
03/04/13 - Approved EAD and AP (58 days)
03/12/13 - Received EAD and AP combo card
03/12/13 - Interview and Approved GC (63 days)
03/20/13 - Received Green Card

10/3/13 - Baby #1 arrived

2/17/14 - Pregnant again! LOL

10/20/14 - Baby #2 arrived
ROC
01/09/15 - Mailed I-751

01/12/15 - NOA

01/16/15 - Received NOA Letter

01/20/15 - Mailed DMV 1yr Extension

02/05/15 - Received Biometrics Letter

02/09/15 - Early Bio (Walk-IN)

02/19/15 - Biometrics Appointment

06/15/15 - Approved
06/15/15 - Card Ordered and Mailed

08/22/15 - Card Received

N-400 on or after 12/15/15

and they'll live happily ever, ever after...
Relationship Journey: Our pursuit to happiness

It's illegal but it is still common practice. Companies also discriminate depending on nationality - most wouldn't dare hold the passport of an American or British citizens but others (Indians, Filipinos, certain other Arab nationals) within the same company are fair game.

OP - Does your company know you are interviewing for a visa with the US embassy? If so I would either put unknown or TBD if you think you can get away with it otherwise I would put 30 days.

Abu Dhabi doesn't take long to issue the visa (less than a week) unless you are put on AP (but as a Filipino national that would be unlikely). Either way once you have your visa I would be hesitant to give your passport back. Are you planning on canceling your residence visa or will you just leave? Are you going to try and get your gratuity from your company?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

For my fiancee, they put it into the contract she had to sign, that the employer will hold her passport. I guess that's how they get around the law. But I agree, when I first heard that they are holding the passports, I was aghast. Seems like forced into slavery.

For my fiancee, I will make just getting out of their a priority. Forget any bonuses and will pay whatever contract penalty. I don't want her to give her passport back after that though. Just consider it a cost of getting the visa. Maybe some employers there are more understanding, but I don't trust my fiancee's employer.

It's illegal but it is still common practice. Companies also discriminate depending on nationality - most wouldn't dare hold the passport of an American or British citizens but others (Indians, Filipinos, certain other Arab nationals) within the same company are fair game.

OP - Does your company know you are interviewing for a visa with the US embassy? If so I would either put unknown or TBD if you think you can get away with it otherwise I would put 30 days.

Abu Dhabi doesn't take long to issue the visa (less than a week) unless you are put on AP (but as a Filipino national that would be unlikely). Either way once you have your visa I would be hesitant to give your passport back. Are you planning on canceling your residence visa or will you just leave? Are you going to try and get your gratuity from your company?

my company doesnt know my interview in embassy but i will talk to them about this. i think they will understand me. God will make a way for possible things. thanks for sharing and giving time for some information. God bless

hi'

thanks for your answer. i need to wait to cancel my visa to my company to make sure that everything will be in good hands. i need to be patient and follow their rules. i know i will feel good after that. God bless.

I think it's just their way of securing the employees are not going to run away while under contract. But I've read sometime ago that in UAE it's illegal for the employers to hold their employees passport as it is their personal property :blush:

hi'

yes your right. there are some employees who runaway that's why they are aware of some things gonna happen.

my company doesnt know my interview in embassy but i will talk to them about this. i think they will understand me. God will make a way for possible things. thanks for sharing and giving time for some information. God bless

hi'

thanks for your answer. i need to wait to cancel my visa to my company to make sure that everything will be in good hands. i need to be patient and follow their rules. i know i will feel good after that. God bless.

If you think it won't be a problem with your particular company then I would let them know you have an interview at the US embassy. Do they know you will be leaving? I had no trouble getting the gratuity from my company when I left but my husband had all sorts of problems.

Good luck with the rest of the process.

If you think it won't be a problem with your particular company then I would let them know you have an interview at the US embassy. Do they know you will be leaving? I had no trouble getting the gratuity from my company when I left but my husband had all sorts of problems.

Good luck with the rest of the process.

thanks a lot...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.