rocks

Ecuador Grants Asylum to Assange, Defying Britain

72 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Calling someone a British Citizen is similar to calling someone a US Citizen. It is what your passport says.

English is more about ethnicity, I am actually Anglo Welsh, English on my fathers side, Welsh on my Mothers.

I usually drop the Welsh bit as Americans seem to not take Geography at school.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I lived in Scotland for 42 years. I class myself as Scottish first and British when it suits me! The whole Scotland/England/Wales/Northern Ireland/Great Britain/United Kingdom thing didn't seem complicated to me. I used to get annoyed when Americans didn't understand that England and Britain isn't the same thing but since I have tried to explain it to people in the same kind of way that has been used on this thread I realized just how confusing it is. If I hadn't grown up there I'd never understand it either.

bostonharborpanoramabyc.jpg

"Boston is the only major city that if you f*** with them, they will shut down the whole city, stop everything, an find you". Adam Sandler

Filed: Timeline

You're usual MO. Not surprising. I thought it was the U.K? At least that what it says under your flag.

I'd like someone to tell me how this guy is going to get to Quito? I have a few suggestions.

Maybe they can give him a spoon and tell him to start digging. The earth's diameter is only 12,700 miles. Better yet maybe they can just transport him Star Trek style.

Helicopter to an offshore Ecuadorian ship?

:lol: I knew this was going to get complicated.

Great Britain is the big island of the two British Isles. Britain is the same as the United Kingdom. Two different things.

That would be weird, kind of like calling a Canadian or a Mexican an American. Taking into account the unrest in Northern Ireland, it would probably be wise not to mention Britain when referring to an Irish person and their nationality. I've seen it happen before by a French person and it isn't pretty!

What happened? The Irish threw his mug of Guiness on him? :rofl:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Helicopter to an offshore Ecuadorian ship?

What happened? The Irish threw his mug of Guiness on him? :rofl:

Not sure how the UK would feel about someone violating their air space.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

It's quite obvious this whole thing is being done for political purposes - the Govt. wouldn't be taking this stand and threatening to violate the embassy (an unprecedented event as far as the law in question is concerned) if it were anyone other than Assange.

It's stupid for the Home Office to even threaten to do this - stupider still to actually follow through on it. You'd get all sorts of ####### for tat - just what you want to see in the news - Iranian police breaking into the British Embassy in Tehran to search for spies.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

If you were to ask Evylin where London is, she would prolly say Ontario.

There is a London also in Kentucky.

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I thought it was pretty cool of the British/English/UK govt. to give this guy bail so he can hang out at some estate while his case was being settled. Apparently he showed them. I wonder if bail jumping is an offence there? (Notice the offence)

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Timeline

It is, that is what they will arrest him for.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

It is, that is what they will arrest him for.

Just like Al Capone, they didn't get him on being a gangster, but on his evasion of taxes. When the government wants you, they usually find a way.

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Timeline

To be fair he found his own way.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I lived in Scotland for 42 years. I class myself as Scottish first and British when it suits me! The whole Scotland/England/Wales/Northern Ireland/Great Britain/United Kingdom thing didn't seem complicated to me. I used to get annoyed when Americans didn't understand that England and Britain isn't the same thing but since I have tried to explain it to people in the same kind of way that has been used on this thread I realized just how confusing it is. If I hadn't grown up there I'd never understand it either.

It really is confusing, that's why I brought it up. It's a common mistake and is totally understandable. How many Brits know American geography? Probably not many!

Calling someone a British Citizen is similar to calling someone a US Citizen. It is what your passport says.

English is more about ethnicity, I am actually Anglo Welsh, English on my fathers side, Welsh on my Mothers.

I usually drop the Welsh bit as Americans seem to not take Geography at school.

:thumbs:

I used to have a Welsh flag tag on my car, I'm sure people looked at it and thought it was some "weird asian thing". :lol: