CDNme

Questions of all sorts! (USC - Military)

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone!

My fiance and I had been set on going through with the K1 since we started looking at our options. Recently, we have changed course to the IR1 because of several aspects, however, the main reasoning being less of a process once in the US. You see, my Fiance is in the military and is about to embark on about 18-20months of intensive training after which he/we will be relocated to another base. So, filing for the AOS, EA and AP just didn't seem like the best option given that we would be relocated relatively close to my arrival in the US.

Anyway - we are close to filing time (and having a civil ceremony) and have many questions due to our 'special circumstances'.

1.) My Fiance's address. He is currently stationed in Texas... he will be moving to NC in October and his home of record with the military is in Las Vegas. His address on his driver's licence is Las Vegas. He does not have an address where he/we would be living once I arrive in the US (it will be off-base). Is it acceptable to put his 'home of record' address on the application? If not, what other option do we have?

2.) How do we go about getting married? I realize it would be recognized in either country... but coming to Canada to be married might be difficult for my Fiance with his upcoming move/training. Do I declare to the border agent that I will be getting civily married? (This doesn't seem smart, as they would likely turn me away?!) I do not want to 'omit' that information in fear of it negatively impacting my immigration process (afraid it will appear as though we were married intentionally on a 'visit' entry).

3.) If we end up filing within the month we are married... and for security clearance reasons (potential issues/concerns - that we are currently investigating the validity of said concerns - with my Fiance's new job in the military/being married to a foreign national) I cannot be added to things like bank accounts, etc., until I am granted a visa... how/what can we provide as 'proof' of a valid marriage (over and above a marriage certificate and pictures).

I've found a lot of the answers to my other questions while perusing the site over the past year... any help on these topics would be great!

And by the way... please pardon my overuse/abuse the ellipsis =)

Thank in advance!

12.27.10 We met in Vegas

05.31.12 Engaged... in Vegas =)

K1
03.02.13 I-129F sent to TX
03.07.13 NOA1 E-mail Notification

08.13.13 NOA2 E-mail Notification (6+ months)

08.29.13 Case arrives at MTL Consulate

09.13.13 Packet 3 arrives

09.17.13 Packet 3 is accetped at MTL (confirmed via Xpresspost tracking)

09.26.13 Packet 4 arrives

10.22.13 Medical

11.07.13 Interview (Approved!)

11.20.13 VISA/PASSPORT IN HAND!!! (Couriered)

12.26.13 P.O.E. Detroit, MI.

12.31.13 ***WEDDING***

AOS

02.25.14 NOA1 for AOS, EAD & AP

03.xx.14 RFE (mid-March)

03.21.14 Biometrics

04.21.14 RFE docs received & AOS case touched

05.22.14 EAD/AP approved

05.31.14 EAD/AP received

06.09.14 Notice of Potential Interview Waiver Case (projected additional wait of 6 months)

07.30.14 Notice that my Permanent Resident status has been registered!!!

08.05.14 Card/Document Production

08.07.14 GREEN CARD IN HAND =)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

1. Use his current address he receives mail at. Military personnel get a bit better treatment through this process.

2. You can get married in the US and DO NOT LIE. They usually just ask a Canadian if you are coming for business or holidays. Just say for holidays. Odds are you won't be questioned further. You do need to be prepared though to show proof of ties that you will be returning to Canada (if you own property, a doctor appt or a job etc).

3. My wife and I file less than a week after getting married. Since we were married in the states we had a notary public come to the wedding and we had about 15 affidavits filled out. I also sent in a copy of the receipt for the wedding reception etc and paperwork adding my wife to my health insurance and as beneficiary to 401K and life insurance policies etc. On top of that add her as an authorized user on my credit card which you don't need a SSN for (at least with Capital One, also put a picture of my wife from our wedding day on the card too).

Timeline

BUMP!

1.) My Fiance's address. He is currently stationed in Texas... he will be moving to NC in October and his home of record with the military is in Las Vegas. His address on his driver's licence is Las Vegas. He does not have an address where he/we would be living once I arrive in the US (it will be off-base). Is it acceptable to put his 'home of record' address on the application? If not, what other option do we have?

2.) How do we go about getting married? I realize it would be recognized in either country... but coming to Canada to be married might be difficult for my Fiance with his upcoming move/training. Do I declare to the border agent that I will be getting civily married? (This doesn't seem smart, as they would likely turn me away?!) I do not want to 'omit' that information in fear of it negatively impacting my immigration process (afraid it will appear as though we were married intentionally on a 'visit' entry).

3.) If we end up filing within the month we are married... and for security clearance reasons (potential issues/concerns - that we are currently investigating the validity of said concerns - with my Fiance's new job in the military/being married to a foreign national) I cannot be added to things like bank accounts, etc., until I am granted a visa... how/what can we provide as 'proof' of a valid marriage (over and above a marriage certificate and pictures).

Thank in advance!

I thank the poster that offered some answers... hoping there's someone else out there with additional info? Or someone that can confirm?

**My fiance and I are not yet married - but will marry soon before filing!

12.27.10 We met in Vegas

K1

10.22.13 Medical

12.31.13 ***WEDDING***

AOS

03.xx.14 RFE (mid-March)

03.21.14 Biometrics

05.22.14 EAD/AP approved

05.31.14 EAD/AP received

06.09.14 Notice of Potential Interview Waiver Case (projected additional wait of 6 months)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

*** Moving from CR-1 to Military forum as questions are related to fiance/ soon husband's job ****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Timeline

You can't use his home of record, because it's not his physical adress. Being in the military, even moving around a lot, he will always have an adress. All he has to do, is fill out a form and send it to USCIS when he moves with his updated adress.

NEVER lie to the IO. If the question comes up, tell him yes you will be getting married but you also will return to Canada after. You are not planning on staying, correct?

What does his security clearance has to do with your bank account. His clearance will be a little more difficult anyways, as soon as you get married. You won't be able to hide the fact. Bonafide proof being married military:

Bank accounts, Military Dependent Card, Tricare enrollment and your name as a beneficiary on his group life insurance. That's all you need and thats all we send in. We didn't send pictures, but we showed them at our interview.

Timeline

You can't use his home of record, because it's not his physical adress. Being in the military, even moving around a lot, he will always have an adress. All he has to do, is fill out a form and send it to USCIS when he moves with his updated adress.

NEVER lie to the IO. If the question comes up, tell him yes you will be getting married but you also will return to Canada after. You are not planning on staying, correct?

What does his security clearance has to do with your bank account. His clearance will be a little more difficult anyways, as soon as you get married. You won't be able to hide the fact. Bonafide proof being married military:

Bank accounts, Military Dependent Card, Tricare enrollment and your name as a beneficiary on his group life insurance. That's all you need and thats all we send in. We didn't send pictures, but we showed them at our interview.

Thanks for the info!

His physical address is something now (barracks) changing in September (barracks for 4 weeks) and changing again in November (not sure if barracks or housing). I'm figuring it would be easiest to wait 'til November... but of course, we don't want to wait any longer. Gah.

I am not planning on staying in the US. I own a home, have 2 jobs... I will be staying in Canada until my application is approved (and possibly longer depending on the completion of my fiance's schooling at that point).

We (well, he) has raised concerns about possible negative impacts "marrying a foreign national" could bring upon him with his new job in the military (Special Forces). He has heard rumours (and yes, there are a lot of them in the military world) that another was not selected to continue in his field because of this person's relationship with 'foreign national' (not sure which country). My fiance is looking to get some more information on this... just wondering if anyone else had information on this particular situation.

12.27.10 We met in Vegas

K1

10.22.13 Medical

12.31.13 ***WEDDING***

AOS

03.xx.14 RFE (mid-March)

03.21.14 Biometrics

05.22.14 EAD/AP approved

05.31.14 EAD/AP received

Filed: Timeline

My husband gets his top secret right now (it wasnt a big deal, just takes a little longer) but he has to admit the relationship with you & the marriage, if you do get married. theres a difference between Canada & a third world country. There's no way you gonna be able to 'hide' a marriage anyways .... Not in your security clearance. They are going through his entire life ...

Edited by AF-Wife

Timeline

My husband gets his top secret right now (it wasnt a big deal, just takes a little longer) but he has to admit the relationship with you & the marriage, if you do get married. theres a difference between Canada & a third world country. There's no way you gonna be able to 'hide' a marriage anyways .... Not in your security clearance. They are going through his entire life ...

PS: I just talked to my husband. He said, that marrying you from Canada won't have an impact on his clearance. But lying or hiding the fact you have a relationship, being engaged & getting married will. He wont pass his clearance, if he lies or hides something.

Thanks for your info! We are definitely not going to or trying to hide anything... but there were rumours, blah blah... I'm not too concerned, TBH. But my fiance is because of how hard he's been working to get to this point. I'm sure they'll look into me and us and see that everything is legitimate and juuuust fine!

12.27.10 We met in Vegas

K1

10.22.13 Medical

12.31.13 ***WEDDING***

AOS

03.xx.14 RFE (mid-March)

03.21.14 Biometrics

05.22.14 EAD/AP approved

05.31.14 EAD/AP received

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Hello, have a quick question

My husband lives in the US while I am in Malaysia. I have a tourist visa, which is valid for at least another 5 years. We haven't filed for I-130 yet, just recently got married.

Recently, my husband called the USCIS military helpline. The lady he talked to told him I could fly to the US on a one way ticket, told the IO if they ask, that I'm filing for adjustment of status in the US and stay, hence the one way ticket. She also said it's ok, and we can do it.

From what I understand, it means I can visit but not stay. My question would be would flying there on a one-way ticket be ok? I'm not sure if this is a good idea. I don't want to fly all the way there only to be told to go back to Malaysia, or worse, get banned from entering the US.

Edited by JP and Tee

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.