udong2

Would unemployment benefit be accepted as income?

12 posts in this topic

Hi Vijayer

I just received NOA2 for my K-1 visa and am gathering documents for my interview. In a preparation I have a urgent question and would you guys give me an advise. I was looking for these information but I got confused so want to ask again.

My fiancé is a dentist. He worked at a big dental group by the time we filed our I-129 petition on March. And then this June, he got laid off coz his company had sold to other big company and they want to re-organize their biz structure. The thing is he can find a job whenever he wants but my fiancé is planning to come to Korea to spend some time with me on September. (If he works only 2 month at some place and then quit its going to look bad to that employer plus any employer want to hire somebody works only 2 month and leave. plus he want to have some break between job.)

Here is my question.

1. He starts collecting unemployment benefit which is $1,800 per month and expects to get it at least a year. Would it be counted as an income on I-134? ($1,800x 12month = $21,600? Or Should he combine his 6 month income from this Jan ~ June and unemployment benefit? – it’s going to be way over $50,000.

2. Can we have a two different co-sponsor? We asked my fiance’s father to be my co-sponsor and he said yes. He lives with my fiancé and owns a business and make money above poverty line but not sure its enough. So we asked his brother-in-law to be our second co-sponsor and he said yes. (brother in law doesn’t live with my fiancé) Would it be possible? or should I go with anyone who make more money???

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi Vijayer

I just received NOA2 for my K-1 visa and am gathering documents for my interview. In a preparation I have a urgent question and would you guys give me an advise. I was looking for these information but I got confused so want to ask again.

My fiancé is a dentist. He worked at a big dental group by the time we filed our I-129 petition on March. And then this June, he got laid off coz his company had sold to other big company and they want to re-organize their biz structure. The thing is he can find a job whenever he wants but my fiancé is planning to come to Korea to spend some time with me on September. (If he works only 2 month at some place and then quit its going to look bad to that employer plus any employer want to hire somebody works only 2 month and leave. plus he want to have some break between job.)

Here is my question.

1. He starts collecting unemployment benefit which is $1,800 per month and expects to get it at least a year. Would it be counted as an income on I-134? ($1,800x 12month = $21,600? Or Should he combine his 6 month income from this Jan ~ June and unemployment benefit? – it's going to be way over $50,000.

2. Can we have a two different co-sponsor? We asked my fiance's father to be my co-sponsor and he said yes. He lives with my fiancé and owns a business and make money above poverty line but not sure its enough. So we asked his brother-in-law to be our second co-sponsor and he said yes. (brother in law doesn't live with my fiancé) Would it be possible? or should I go with anyone who make more money???

Thanks in advance for your help!!

It's no wonder taxes are so high when we have able bodied people milking the system for un-employment benefit. I think it will look bad any way you do it if he must explain why he is a dentist and cannot find a job to support his family, and needs a co-sponsor.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

It appears as if his income from unemployment would be sufficient, but it's only for a year so you may need a co-sponsor (I am not an expert on this so I could be wrong).

Do you have a potential co-sponsor for if you need it? You could always go in with the plan not to use a co-sponsor but if told that you need one have everything there as a back up?

We became a couple : 2011-05-29
I visited him : 2011-10-28 - 2011-11-17
He visited me (and my crazy family) : 2012-02-05 - 2012-02-17
I-129F Sent : 2012-02-05
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-14
I entered on VWP to stay 3 months: 2012-04-11 - 2012-07-03
---
Went to get my medical done for interview in Australia (much cheaper in the US and I was already here):2012-05-20
Medical issue diagnosed
K-1 petition cancellation request sent to CSC : 2012-06-01
Married: 2012-06-21
Filed for AOS : 2012-08-08
NOA1 : 2012-08-10
Biometrics : 2012-09-14
EAD approved : 2012-10-16
Applied for SSN : 2012-11-01
Received SSN : 2012-11-13
Received interview notice :2012-12-27
Interview- APPROVED :2013-01-28
Green card received :2013-02-04
Baby girl born :2013-03-09

Filed for ROC :2014-12-05
NOA :2014-12-11
Biometrics : 2015-01-15

ROC Approval : 2015-05-14

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

the unemployment benefit is going to make the process even worse because the EDD or the government has to pay for him... You best bet will be getting a co-sponsor, preferably a close-relative.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You need to list his current income, not what he made in the past. He is currently unemployed. Unemployment can be listed on the I-134 as income, however, since it is not permanent, you will need a co-sponsor if that is his sole means of income.

You can only have one co-sponsor that will fill out their own I-134. They need to meet or beat the 125% requirement for their own household size plus the beneficiary. A co-sponsor can be any US citizen or legal permanent resident residing in the US.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

It's no wonder taxes are so high when we have able bodied people milking the system for un-employment benefit. I think it will look bad any way you do it if he must explain why he is a dentist and cannot find a job to support his family, and needs a co-sponsor.

I never knew you could take a vacation using unemployment benefits. I always thought you had to be actively looking for employment each week to qualify. Maybe things have changed, or not all states require that?

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

I never knew you could take a vacation using unemployment benefits. I always thought you had to be actively looking for employment each week to qualify. Maybe things have changed, or not all states require that?

thanks for comment. and you are right and if he wants to take a vacation he wouldnt get it because its illegal. He has no intention to get it while he leave the country. It is a bad thing to do..

you are right. I think it is better to cancle his trip plan and get a job there so he can proof he is my primary sponsor and I'm not going to be a public charge. Thanks for the comment!

You need to list his current income, not what he made in the past. He is currently unemployed. Unemployment can be listed on the I-134 as income, however, since it is not permanent, you will need a co-sponsor if that is his sole means of income.

You can only have one co-sponsor that will fill out their own I-134. They need to meet or beat the 125% requirement for their own household size plus the beneficiary. A co-sponsor can be any US citizen or legal permanent resident residing in the US.

Thanks for comment. I think it's better for him to get a job asap so he can get an employment letter to show consulate proving he is my primary sponsor.

the unemployment benefit is going to make the process even worse because the EDD or the government has to pay for him... You best bet will be getting a co-sponsor, preferably a close-relative.

Thanks for the comments!! It is better for hime to get a job... Thanks

Filed: Timeline

Not only actively looking for work but be available to accept qualified work.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Have him find a job to start in a month or a few weeks, take the vacation now... :thumbs: . Everyone likes a little time off between jobs, but yes, it would look better not needing co-sponsor if possible. (for a doctor / dentist)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I was unemployed a while back because of the Obama depression and I asked the unemployment office if I could leave the country and still collect. They said No!

I had to be actively looking for employment in the USA.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.