kinkyara

K1 Visa Co-sponsorship Question

68 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone! We're waiting for our MNL case number and we're using a co-sponsor since my fiance is a graduating student, he works in the school too and has another part time job as an artist but he can't still meet the poverty guidelines to be the sole sponsor. I am aware that they don't always allow co-sponsorship in the Philippines but we are planning that he be present too on my interview day if possible. I'm just wondering if there is a limited number of co-sponsor/s needed. Thank you in advance!

=]

Feb 13, 2012 - I-129F Sent
Feb 16, 2012 - NVC Received
Feb 20, 2012 - NOA1 Hardcopy (With beneficiary's misspelled name)

Mar 14, 2012 - NOA1 Hardcopy (Corrected)
Jul 12, 2012 - NOA2 Approved (e-mail)
Jul 16, 2012 - NOA2 Hardcopy
Jul 23, 2012 - NVC Received
Aug 28, 2012 - USEM Interview (Approved)
Sep 3, 2012 - Visa Received
Sep 23, 2012 - POE SFO
Nov 24, 2012 - TIED THE KNOT!!!

March 27, 2013 - AOS Approved!

July 15, 2015 - 10-year GC Approved!!

I'm not sure what you mean by "a limited number of cosponsors needed." However, the U.S. Embassy Manila accepts joint sponsors on a case-by-case basis.

Here's what the U.S. Embassy Manila told a fellow VJ K-1'er in an email about joint sponsors:

Petitioners in fiancé(e) (K1) nonimmigrant visa cases are generally expected to provide the adequacy of their own financial resources to ensure that an alien, after admission into the United States, will not become primarily dependent on the US Government for subsistence. While our immigration law does not disallow joint sponsorships for K nonimmigrant visa applicants, the mere submission of an I-134 Affidavit of Support from joint sponsors is not sufficient to establish that the alien is not likely to become a public charge. Accordingly, we make a thorough evaluation of other factors, such as the sponsor's motives in submitting the Form I-134, the sponsor's relationship to the applicant or petitioner, the length of time the sponsor and applicant have known each other, etc. An I-134 Affidavit of Support submitted by a casual friend or distant relative who has little or no personal knowledge of the applicant has limited value. Unlike the I-864 filed by joint sponsors in immigrant visa cases, the I-134 is not legally binding and imposes no legal obligation on the joint sponsor to make good on his or her promises. Please be assured that we look at the totality of circumstances in assessing the credibility of joint sponsorships.

Timeline

I'm not sure what you mean by "a limited number of cosponsors needed." However, the U.S. Embassy Manila accepts joint sponsors on a case-by-case basis.

Here's what the U.S. Embassy Manila told a fellow VJ K-1'er in an email about joint sponsors:

Petitioners in fiancé(e) (K1) nonimmigrant visa cases are generally expected to provide the adequacy of their own financial resources to ensure that an alien, after admission into the United States, will not become primarily dependent on the US Government for subsistence. While our immigration law does not disallow joint sponsorships for K nonimmigrant visa applicants, the mere submission of an I-134 Affidavit of Support from joint sponsors is not sufficient to establish that the alien is not likely to become a public charge. Accordingly, we make a thorough evaluation of other factors, such as the sponsor's motives in submitting the Form I-134, the sponsor's relationship to the applicant or petitioner, the length of time the sponsor and applicant have known each other, etc. An I-134 Affidavit of Support submitted by a casual friend or distant relative who has little or no personal knowledge of the applicant has limited value. Unlike the I-864 filed by joint sponsors in immigrant visa cases, the I-134 is not legally binding and imposes no legal obligation on the joint sponsor to make good on his or her promises. Please be assured that we look at the totality of circumstances in assessing the credibility of joint sponsorships.

Thank you for your response Tahoma.. I was just wondering whether you can have two or more co-sponsors? or is it limited to just one co-sponsor.. just wondering... Thank you so much! =]

Edited by kinkyara

Sep 23, 2012 - POE SFO

I don't know the rule about how many joint sponsors are allowed, but that information should be available on the Department of State website. What's your idea about having more than one joint sponsor?

If it takes two joint sponsors in order to surpass the 125% of the poverty line for the household size, I'm thinking that the consular officer may not accept them because both of them are low income and aren't in much of a position to support you. Why not use one joint sponsor who has a solid income?

Timeline

I don't know the rule about how many joint sponsors are allowed, but that information should be available on the Department of State website. What's your idea about having more than one joint sponsor?

If it takes two joint sponsors in order to surpass the 125% of the poverty line for the household size, I'm thinking that the consular officer may not accept them because both of them are low income and aren't in much of a position to support you. Why not use one joint sponsor who has a solid income?

I have no idea about how many. We will have my fiance's mother as our co-sponsor and she sure has a solid income above the poverty line. I was just wondering if it's a plus to have more co-sponsors whose income meets the poverty guideline.

Thank you Tahoma!

Sep 23, 2012 - POE SFO

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I have no idea about how many. We will have my fiance's mother as our co-sponsor and she sure has a solid income above the poverty line. I was just wondering if it's a plus to have more co-sponsors whose income meets the poverty guideline.

Thank you Tahoma!

Any joint sponsor must qualify on their own as a sponsor. There is no combining of incomes with the I-134.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

Any joint sponsor must qualify on their own as a sponsor. There is no combining of incomes with the I-134.

Thanks for replying Anh map. I know you guys understand the worries of having co-sponsors in the Philippines, so I was thinking of other possible ways to make sure we get approved.

And one more question, would it really help to have my fiance with me on the interview?

Thank you again =]

Sep 23, 2012 - POE SFO

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Thanks for replying Anh map. I know you guys understand the worries of having co-sponsors in the Philippines, so I was thinking of other possible ways to make sure we get approved.

And one more question, would it really help to have my fiance with me on the interview?

Thank you again =]

A close family member seems to be the best bet as far as a K visa joint sponsor at Manila.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

A close family member seems to be the best bet as far as a K visa joint sponsor at Manila.

Yes, we will have my fiance's mom as our co-sponsor and we will be living with her on the same roof. Her income is above the 125% of the poverty guidline so hopefully things will go well on our case of using a co-sponsor. My fiance will be graduating next year, he's taking up Digital Art Media.

Sep 23, 2012 - POE SFO

^^^ Ahn map...Thanks for clearing that up. :thumbs:

...would it really help to have my fiance with me on the interview?

^^^ I believe it would be a big help.

^^^ Agreed. :thumbs:

Timeline

^^^ Ahn map...Thanks for clearing that up. :thumbs:

^^^ I believe it would be a big help.

^^^ Agreed. :thumbs:

Thank you so much guys...

So on the interview day, I will be needing the I-134 from my fiance and I-864 from his mom, is that right?

And would it be ok if we present a letter from his mom about supporting us?

Sep 23, 2012 - POE SFO

Filed: Country:
Timeline
Yes, we will have my fiance's mom as our co-sponsor and we will be living with her on the same roof. Her income is above the 125% of the poverty guidline so hopefully things will go well on our case of using a co-sponsor. My fiance will be graduating next year, he's taking up Digital Art Media.

Based on feedback on VJ over the last 3 years I'd say your situation is one that USEM approves. Since your Fiancé is a recent college graduate they'll consider him a good candidate to have increased earning potential in the near future. Also with the Co-Sponsor being a close family member (his mother) which is another situation they're comfortable with.

You guys shouldn't worry too much about this, just make sure everything else is in order...

Timeline

I think the case where you will be living with his mom, your chances are better. Also, yes, in your case it would probably help a lot for him to be there, to explain that he's just graduating, that you will be staying with his mom while he starts his career, etc.

Also to improve your chances, have her fill out the I-864 and get it notarized if need be, and that will maybe help too.

Timeline

Based on feedback on VJ over the last 3 years I'd say your situation is one that USEM approves. Since your Fiancé is a recent college graduate they'll consider him a good candidate to have increased earning potential in the near future. Also with the Co-Sponsor being a close family member (his mother) which is another situation they're comfortable with.

You guys shouldn't worry too much about this, just make sure everything else is in order...

Thank you Bob 4 Anna! We're getting things in order and thanks to VJ and to you guys for making things easier.

Sep 23, 2012 - POE SFO

Timeline

I think the case where you will be living with his mom, your chances are better. Also, yes, in your case it would probably help a lot for him to be there, to explain that he's just graduating, that you will be staying with his mom while he starts his career, etc.

Also to improve your chances, have her fill out the I-864 and get it notarized if need be, and that will maybe help too.

Thank you again, Mogambi! I finally had a time to voice out my status here on VJ and I'm getting positive feedbacks which makes me feel more confident on the interview day. And of course my fiance gives me the best support and does everything to really take me with him the soonest possible time.

Sep 23, 2012 - POE SFO

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.