Joe J

Petition to Visa Process

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Ok I have a quick question. We are waiting for NOA2, and I want to let my fiancee know how the system works and what to expect. I don't want to tell her something that is incorrect. If you get the NOA2 of acceptance and that it is going to the NVC, is an interview guaranteed at that point? Thanks and good luck to all. For all the folks you hear that say "time just goes by so fast anymore", they should go through this process and see time really slow down to a crawl!!

Ok I have a quick question. We are waiting for NOA2, and I want to let my fiancee know how the system works and what to expect. I don't want to tell her something that is incorrect. If you get the NOA2 of acceptance and that it is going to the NVC, is an interview guaranteed at that point? Thanks and good luck to all. For all the folks you hear that say "time just goes by so fast anymore", they should go through this process and see time really slow down to a crawl!!

You should both read the K-1 guide and flowchart to get an idea of the process: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1flow

And then check the regional forum for additional insights specific to folks who are going through/have been through Thailand.

Nothing is guaranteed. :)

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You should both read the K-1 guide and flowchart to get an idea of the process: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1flow

And then check the regional forum for additional insigs specific to folks who are going through/have been through Thailand.

I agree with LeftCoastLady. I would also like to add that a detour/delay or RFE is possible anywhere on this journey. You can be assured that you will have an interview when you have it, and you can be assured that you will have your visa when you look at it inserted in the beneficiary's passport. Those are only the initial steps in this process, look the Immigration Checklist in your Immigration Timeline section for the rest of the process.

Check out the DoS Nonimmigrant K-1 Visa FAQs for more supplemental information.

Good luck on your visa journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

Thanks to all for the links and the.comments. I had familiarized myself with the steps this goes through. My question is once the NVC sends the approval to the foreign embassy, is it "fairly" certain that the beneficiary will get an interview? Or at least if nothing turns up on the medical or police report. I understand that denial is always a possibility until green card is issued. Thanks again.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Laos
Timeline

Thanks to all for the links and the.comments. I had familiarized myself with the steps this goes through. My question is once the NVC sends the approval to the foreign embassy, is it "fairly" certain that the beneficiary will get an interview? Or at least if nothing turns up on the medical or police report. I understand that denial is always a possibility until green card is issued. Thanks again.

Once NVC looks at your file and everything is correct, the NVC will send your file to the embassy in Thailand. This usually takes at least a couple of weeks. Wait about 3 weeks and then call NVC to inquire about your file. Give them your VNT number is filed in Vermont or CSC number if filed in California. They will tell you if the file has been sent to the US embassy in Thailand. If it has been sent, you can track your file by following dhl.com and you will know when it arrives to the embassy in Thailand. Once you know it is at the embassy, contact them by phone or email and arrange an interview appointment for your fiance. She will be mailed a packet that includes instructions telling her what she needs to complete before her interview. Go to travel.state.gov and find the embassy for Thailand. Look until you find step-by-step instructions on what to do to prepare for the interview for that particular embassy. I hope this is helpful to you and yours. Good luck to the two of you and the rest of your journey. :thumbs::D

K1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Laos

I-129F Sent : 2011-07-16

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-07-19

I-129F RFE(s) : 2011-11-28

RFE Reply(s) : 2011-12-13 Received my initial evidence, 2012-01-03 congressional inquiry conducted; officer is looking at the documents; says should have decision in a few weeks

I-129F NOA2 : 2012-01-25

NVC Received : 2012-02-03

NVC Left : 2012-02-14

Consulate Received : 2012-02-21

Packet 3 Received : 2012-02-29

Packet 3 Sent : 2012-03-19

Packet 4 Received : 2012-04-02

Interview Date : 2012-05-10

2012-05-25 Evidence given to consular officer.

Interview Result : Approved!

Second Interview

(If Required):

Second Interview Result:

Visa Received :

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Your petition is submitted to NVC by USCIS after the NOA 2. USCIS places a bar code on the file and it is sent along with others in groups to the NVC mail room. It may appear to be "lost" until it is entered by scanning into the NVC system. Once its entered it will pass thru NVC pretty quickly because its a K 1. They take no action on those docs.

NVC will forward it to BKK. All case are sent to the consulate section first. It is across the street from the embassy where the visa section is located. This causes a short delay.

Visa section notifies her of the need for the P 3 docs. You can download them now but do not submit them until you are CERTIAN the case is at the visa section.

You need to complete the 134 and forward it along with a tax transcript to her for submission with the P 3.

She needs to obtain her medical and police report. To get the police report she needs to take a copy of the NOA 1 or 2 to the police station or mail it in depending on where she lives. Begin to work on this now to understand it correctly.

Submission of the P 3 will result in the P 4 which is the interview date. She can be certian of having the interview. If anything is wrong with the docs in the P 3 she will be told to correct it pior to the interview. Yes her interview is in fact guaranteed as long as these things are done.

Keep in mind BKK sees over 700 cases per month. This is why the interview date may seem to be taking a long time to obtain. Plan on about 60 days after submission of the P 3.

I dont know what you mean by the last sentence. She wont be denied a visa if you follow the process. The green card is the result of the AOS which you will do later. Again if you follow the procedures she will gain the G C.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Thanks Ning. Your explanation is appreciated.

This is a good site for people on the Thai side:

http://www.usvisa4thai.com/index.php

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Thanks Ning. Your explanation is appreciated.

There are many people here ready to help.

Something that may be useful in the future would be your fiance knowing that she can buy a special pin number at any Thai post office that will allow her to call directly into the visa section to ask questions. The questions must be framed in a general manner rather than about her exact case.

The medical is a little expensive as you may know. She can save money by going to her local doctor for the shots. She would just need to bring the info to the hospital in BKK later. The follow up shots can be done in the USA. The medical will take a few hours and she will be given the results before she leaves.

The visa fee is paid for at many Thai post offices. She will send in the reciept or hand carry it.

She will be nervous about the interview. No need to be when you understand the process. The P 3 docs are reviewed prior to the interview. Usually there is no problem. The case is more or less decided based on the case file and those docs. The interview is short and isnt an interrigation like some think. She will submit her passport for the insertion of the visa which takes about 3 days. This is due to computer time required.

I also suggest you check out the book Thailand Fever found on Amazon. Have her buy one in Thailand too. She can find it at mall location or farang bookstore.

Finally a small correction to one persons post. Everyone means well but some of this is specific to BKK. They will not accept phone calls about the interview date. They will only respond to the submission of the P 3 after which they will contact her to set the date.

Timeline

Hi Joe,

Lots of good advice here. Just follow the advice that ning and others have suggested and that should help answer your questions. You were asking about the NVC. I know everyone's story is different, but from my experience we got our NOA2 on June 27 last year and then it set at the NVC for a month. It finally made it to the embassy in BKK at the first of August and she had her interview on September 24th. So it took about 3 months for us to have the interview after the NOA 2.

3-5-2011: I-129F Sent

3-9-2011: NOA1

6-24-2011: NOA2

6-30-2011: NOA2 Hard Copy

7-19-2011: Received Case Number from NVC

08-08-2011: Sent Packet 3 to Embassy

09-12-2011: Received Packet 4 Instructions

09-28-2011: Interview: Approved

10-06-2011: Point of Entry

11-03-2011: Married

AOS:

11-17-2011: Filed AOS Packet

12-09-2011: AOS Check Cashed

01-01-2012: Biometrics

01-31-2012: Received EAD

07-20-2012: AOS Approved

08-01-2012: Received Green Card

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

yup, interview is fairly garunteed after the embassy recieves your info

United-States-of-America-LH.gif Bryan and Isabel Brazil-Brasília-National-Flag-RH.gif

Gonzalez

Our Timeline

03/02/2011 - Engaged

USCIS / VSC

12/20/2011: Sent I-129F to Dallas Lockbox

02/16/2012: NOA1 Received, Forwarded to Vermont Service Center

XX/XX/2012: NOA2

NVC

XX/XX/2012: NVC received

XX/XX/2012: Case number

US Embassy Rio De Janeiro

XX/XX/2012: Embassy received

XX/XX/2012: Medical

XX/XX/2012: Interview

XX/XX/2012: Visa in hand

XX/XX/2012: POE Newark, New Jersey

FkP5m4.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

And then check the regional forum for additional insights specific to folks who are going through/have been through Thailand.

:thumbs: :thumbs:

Picture4.jpg

Picture5.jpg

----------------------------------------

K-1 Journey (I-129F)

09/10/2010 ----- Filing date of I-129 F

09/22/2010 ----- NOA 1

02/22/2011 ----- Case being adjudicated

02/28/2011 ----- RFE, Waiver to file 2nd K-1 petition

03/04/2011 ----- RFE reply sent

03/08/2011 ----- RFE received and being reviewed at USCIS

03/17/2011 ----- NOA2 (I-129F approved)

03/23/2011 ----- NOA2 hard copy received

03/29/2011 ----- NVC received our Case

04/04/2011 ----- NVC letter received and case forwarded to US embassy Manila

04/08/2011 ----- US Embassy Manila received our case (Consulate)

04/15/2011 ----- Paid VISA at BPI

04/16/2011 ----- Received Eligibility Letter from US Embassy Manila dated April 8, 2011

04/25/2011 ----- 1st day of Medical

04/26/2011 ----- 2nd day of Medical (I PASSED!! Thank you Lord!!)

05/13/2011 ----- Interview (221g - Case under Administrative Processing "AP")

08/12/2011 ----- Received an email from the embassy "Case is pending review by a consular officer"

----------------------------------------

My blog: All about my writings and essays

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.