Chazzie

Petitioning my mom who is currently here in the US

13 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone, I am a naturalized US citizen and I will be filing a petition for my (annulled/divorced/single) mom along with AOS who is currently here in the US as a visitor, Her I94 expires Dec 25,2012. Her old time BF just proposed to her today who is an american Citizen and plans to marry her this week.My question is, do we have to wait for my application to petition her before getting married?or should i submit it after? will it affect the process? She will be living with my future stepdad in florida ,Can she do the biometrics over there?Im aware that if we are called for interview that i might fly over there to be with her or vice versa. Am i doing the right process of petitioning her instead of the spouse- to- be- petitioning her?

Thank you so much for taking time to read my post, i know its a little complicated. and Thank you in advance for all your response.It would be greatly appreciated.blush.gif

♥Timeline♥

AOS

03-11-2011: mailed AOS packet

03-14-2011: AOS packet received

04-16-11:USCIS lost our I485 forms thus received EAD rejection notice

04-18-11: mailed AOS packet AGAIN

04-19-11:AOS packet received by S. Bush

04-29-11: NOA1 hardcopies for I485 and I765 received :)

05-12-11:Successful walk in biometrics

05-25-11:email notification received stating interview on 6/24

05-27-11:hardcopy for interview received

06-24-11:done with interview.no approval yet

06-25-11: received EAD card

06-29-11:email received AOS approved and green card is on its way! yay! :)

96050467.png

heart_emo.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

instead of YOU being 'the sponser', let the new 'step dad' be the sponser. He qualifies , he's a USC. So, let HIM do the paperwork, not you.

Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

instead of YOU being 'the sponser', let the new 'step dad' be the sponser. He qualifies , he's a USC. So, let HIM do the paperwork, not you.

Good Luck !

It's better if the US citizen child petitions to adjust mom's status.

If the USC child petitions, then mom gets a 10 years green card.

If the USC husband files, then mom gets a 2 years conditional green card. She must remove condition at the end of 2 years.

Also, it's easier to prove a child/mom relationship with a birth certificate than a bona-fide marriage.

If the USC child petitions, then USC hubby cannot hold any immigration issues over mom's head. (See other threads where the USC threatens not to remove the condition or ship the LPR back home.)

If the USC child petitions, USC hubby can be the Joint Sponsor.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

If the USC husband files, then mom gets a 2 years conditional green card. She must remove condition at the end of 2 years.

Also, it's easier to prove a child/mom relationship with a birth certificate than a bona-fide marriage.

If the USC child petitions, then USC hubby cannot hold any immigration issues over mom's head. (See other threads where the USC threatens not to remove the condition or ship the LPR back home.)

All excellent points! :thumbs:

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: IR-5 Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

aaron2020 is 1000% correct....easier to process, less headache and a 10 year green card in hands!plus if the hubby says one day" thanks but no thanks!" she can walk away! :whistle:

I-130 SENT 2012/01/20

I-130 NOA1 2012/01/24

I-130 NOA2 2012/06/12

NVC receiv 2012/07/02

NVC case # 2012/07/13

DS-3032 emailed 2012/07/13

AOS paid 2012/07/20

AOS sent 2012/07/23

DS-3032 Accepted 2012/07/24

IV paid 2012/07/25

IV/DS-230 sent 2012/07/26

RFE missing pay stubs 2012/08/03

Case completed 2012/08/16

Inteview Date 2012/10/16

221g (new co-sponsor and proof of domicile for my son) crazy stuff!

Timeline

Thank u so much for this wonderful info, Another question if i may, Will the process of petitioning my mom gets affected if she gets married while she is here on a tourist visa?Or will it not matter?

Thank you again!good.gif

♥Timeline♥

AOS

96050467.png

heart_emo.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Thank u so much for this wonderful info, Another question if i may, Will the process of petitioning my mom gets affected if she gets married while she is here on a tourist visa?Or will it not matter?

Thank you again!good.gif

It doesn't affect her eligibility for a visa number, so it's not relevant.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

It doesn't affect her eligibility for a visa number, so it's not relevant.

Thank you!blush.gif

♥Timeline♥

AOS

96050467.png

heart_emo.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a possibility that USCIS can denied her mom AOS based on intent to immigrate/immigration fraud? Or at least make give them a headache? The OP posted that her mom I-94 expires on Dec,25,2012, which means that her mom should have entered the contry just a week ago, and she is already talking about filing for AOS, and her mom gettin marry this week.. I'm not immgration expert at all, but when I applied for AOS our lawyer asked us the time frame period between my entry, my marriage, and AOS.. to rule out immigration fraud base on intent to marriage with a non immigrating visa...

10/06 - Met online.

01/03/07 - Met in Person and started dating.

12/11/07 - Got Engaged.

01/05/08 - Got Married!!!

06/24/08 - Applied for I-130, I-485 and I765.

06/30/08 - Notice of Action

07/19/08 - Biometrics Appointment

08/26/08 - Received EAD card

12/29/08 - Letter interview date received in mail

02/23/09 - Interview date!!!----- APPROVED!!!

03/06/09 - Welcome letter in the mail.

03/13/09 - Green Card received in the mail!!

Removing Conditions

01/25/11 - Applied for I-751.

01/27/11 - I-797C, N.O.A issued

01/31/11 - Check cashed

02/04/11 - Received N.O.A

03/14/11 - Biometric appointment issued

03/19/11 - Biometric letter received in the mail

03/28/11 - Biometric appointment date.

06/24/11-Approval of ROC

06/27/11-Approval letter received

07/01/11- Green Card Received

B9gLm5.png.png.png

I would agree with the above poster. Before marrying or filing the petition, she should talk to an immigration lawyer experienced in the district where she will be processing her AOS (I'm guessing FL?). Immigrant intent can be an issue in the AOS process, and this can be a complication both by filing an AOS petition or by marrying a US citizen and living with him/her in short order after entering on a tourist visa. I would be very careful here before doing either of those things.

Long story short, we have a complicated case. We've been at this for nearly 5 years. You can read our story here. I highly recommend our attorney Laurel Scott, as well as attorneys Laura Fernandez and Lizz Cannon .

Filed I-130 via CSC in Feb 2008. Petition approved June 2008. Consular interview in Mexico, Oct 2008, visa denied, INA 212a6cii. We allege improper application of the law in this case.

2012, started over in Seoul: I-130 filed DCF on 7/2, I-130 approved 8/8, Medical at Yonsei Severance 11/20, IR1 appointment in November 2012.

CRBA filed 1-3-13 at Seoul for our daughter

4MLHm5.pngCzLqp9.png

You can find me at

Immigrate2us.net as Los G :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Something else that just came to my mind, is that when we had a interview with the lawyer that is handling my mom's AOS with a overstayed visa, was that he asked if when we applied for the B2 visa back in 2001, if we had any relative living in the US back then, and we lied or not about it... He said that if you have immiediate relatives living in the US chances of getting a B2 visa are really low to none, since USCIS doesnt want you to immigrate with a non immigrate visa..., and hiding/lying about are grounds for inadmisibility and triggers pretty much lifetime ban, since and there is no waiver that sons can file for parents. And only spouses of US citizens can file for a waiver based on hardship to the US Citizen which in this case I don't think will work since they are not already married.. I'm not saying the OP mom lied or anything, but there is so many aspects to consider and thinking of the worst case scenario.. I have learn that not everything is as easy as in seems when it comes down to USCIS.. Probably the safest route would be to apply for your mom in her country to avoid any possible denials

10/06 - Met online.

01/03/07 - Met in Person and started dating.

12/11/07 - Got Engaged.

01/05/08 - Got Married!!!

06/24/08 - Applied for I-130, I-485 and I765.

06/30/08 - Notice of Action

07/19/08 - Biometrics Appointment

08/26/08 - Received EAD card

12/29/08 - Letter interview date received in mail

02/23/09 - Interview date!!!----- APPROVED!!!

03/06/09 - Welcome letter in the mail.

03/13/09 - Green Card received in the mail!!

Removing Conditions

01/25/11 - Applied for I-751.

01/27/11 - I-797C, N.O.A issued

01/31/11 - Check cashed

02/04/11 - Received N.O.A

03/14/11 - Biometric appointment issued

03/19/11 - Biometric letter received in the mail

03/28/11 - Biometric appointment date.

06/24/11-Approval of ROC

06/27/11-Approval letter received

07/01/11- Green Card Received

B9gLm5.png.png.png

Timeline

Thank you so much everyone for all the replies. On I 130 it specifically says a parent of USC is considered immediate family and that visa is always available thats why I485 can be filed concurrently as long as beneficiary entered the US legally.My mom has a multiple entry visa, She comes to visit every so often without overstaying. IO is aware she has kids here in SF who can support her.She never mentioned about her BF because she wasnt asked.She never lied to any IO.Her original plan is to come visit and then come home for Christmas,She never expected Bf will fly over here in SF to meet her family and proposed.Fiance wanted to have the wedding here as all my siblings are here. California law allows people to get married as long as they are both unmarried.Fiance is willing to do all the paperwork and go through the process but it is my choice to petition my mom.We have consulted friends and immigration lawyers and they all advised us either way, that the process can be done.I come here on VJ to seek advice who might have gone through the same experience, and gain more knowledge about the process and immigration system. I appreciate all your concerns everyone and will keep u all updated. good.gif

♥Timeline♥

AOS

96050467.png

heart_emo.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

there's 2 search engines here - have you tried using them?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.