jerkchixlvr

Sponsoring a Step Child - Tourist Visa and I-130 help

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I've been married for two years where I sponsored my hubby for a gren card which was approved and received, and our plan was to have my step-son come visit for the summer to see how he would like living here and to also make sure that, as a family, the dynamics were OK especially becuase (as you probably know) life in the US is not all candy and rainbows. I work full-time, my husband works full-time (sometimes 80+ hours a week), and at home my step-son has a ton of family and friends around to spend time with at all hours of the day, which is why we wanted to make sure he would be OK being here. Here we would send him to camp where he didn;t know other children, living in an area where he couldn;t just walk down the street and find a friend or cousin at any time. Then, once we knew he could be OK, we were going to file a I-130 in about a year to try and live with us permenantly hopefully for next school year.

Well, the evil birth mother messed up his tourist visa interview on purpose and now hubby and I are looking at other options. Has anyone else out there had this issue? What have you done, and what were the outcomes? Did you file a I-130 shortly after not obtaining a tourist Visa? Did you try for the Visa again? DId you wait a while (what was the timeframe) before filing the I-130? I dont really know what to do here, we are not really in the best situation for a pre-teen but will do what we have to do becuase we love him. At the moment, we are just heart-broken and angry so I am really hoping that i can get some ideas from this forum...

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

Most Countries in the world if the mother has sole physical custody of the child then the child can't leave the Country without the mother's consent. If she messed up his tourist interview she won't allow your husband to bring the child to live in the USA at all. Your husband needs FIRST to solve issues regarding " child custody/visitations", and once the problem is solved you can submit the I-130.Good luck

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I've been married for two years where I sponsored my hubby for a gren card which was approved and received, and our plan was to have my step-son come visit for the summer to see how he would like living here and to also make sure that, as a family, the dynamics were OK especially becuase (as you probably know) life in the US is not all candy and rainbows. I work full-time, my husband works full-time (sometimes 80+ hours a week), and at home my step-son has a ton of family and friends around to spend time with at all hours of the day, which is why we wanted to make sure he would be OK being here. Here we would send him to camp where he didn;t know other children, living in an area where he couldn;t just walk down the street and find a friend or cousin at any time. Then, once we knew he could be OK, we were going to file a I-130 in about a year to try and live with us permenantly hopefully for next school year.

Well, the evil birth mother messed up his tourist visa interview on purpose and now hubby and I are looking at other options. Has anyone else out there had this issue? What have you done, and what were the outcomes? Did you file a I-130 shortly after not obtaining a tourist Visa? Did you try for the Visa again? DId you wait a while (what was the timeframe) before filing the I-130? I dont really know what to do here, we are not really in the best situation for a pre-teen but will do what we have to do becuase we love him. At the moment, we are just heart-broken and angry so I am really hoping that i can get some ideas from this forum...

will she allow him to come? she has to authorize him to leave the country. it looks like she has custody.

will she allow him to come? she has to authorize him to leave the country. it looks like she has custody.

Yep. You can file the I-130 but if she isn't even willing to let him come for a visit I can't imagine she'll allow him to move here permanently, and he can't come without her permission. Otherwise, it might be best to visit him there.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Timeline

Crazy enough, she will let him come here permentanly to live (in my opinion she is F'ing crazy). She will also write the necessary letters allowing this and will get them notarized. I am just curious more about the time inbetween processes... if someone else has gone through this and what they experienced, etc. We are also looking into him going down and obtaining sole custody, but in the meantime my step-son lives (and has been for 6 months) with my MIL becuase his mother doesn;t want any responsibility (i.e. why i think she is F'ing crazy...if you dont want the responsibility of a child, than why mess up his tourist visa. But then there is no reasoning with crazy).

Its a bizarre sitaution. Which is why i am reacing out to this community. Really more concerned with the timing inbetween processes and what others have experienced. I think we would be OK in an interview, especially if we state that his mother has basically abandoned him. At the moment they have shared legal custody as their divorce was here in the US.

Edited by jerkchixlvr

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

question 1 are u a jamaican by birth if so u should know that is going to be a hard fight to get that child here for 1 if the mother dont want the child to leave its not going to # 2 if the child is there it give her all she wants if the father is sending child support if u do a i130 she have to give consent and hope the dad name is on the birthpaper i think they are doing dna now good luck

• 3 months later...
Timeline

Hi. I am an american citizen married to a jamaican man. we filed for his children in january. now they will go to the interview in early october. So my advise, is one: you have to have the mother cooperate in order to be approved for the child to leave the country. Me and my husbend kissed her butt and had to pay for her to travel and blah blah blah even though they live with his sister and she don't even take care of them but we knew we NEEDED her. So two: the process is so costly and so time consuming you and your family need to decide either you want to petition for the child to visit or to come permanently. I think you should petition for permanent residence which is what i did because in general there is so much more opportunity in america. In short, suck up to baby mama, forget the tourist visa and get busy on the I-130 petition for alien relative. Hope it works out.

Timeline

Crazy enough, she will let him come here permentanly to live (in my opinion she is F'ing crazy). She will also write the necessary letters allowing this and will get them notarized. I am just curious more about the time inbetween processes... if someone else has gone through this and what they experienced, etc. We are also looking into him going down and obtaining sole custody, but in the meantime my step-son lives (and has been for 6 months) with my MIL becuase his mother doesn;t want any responsibility (i.e. why i think she is F'ing crazy...if you dont want the responsibility of a child, than why mess up his tourist visa. But then there is no reasoning with crazy).

Its a bizarre sitaution. Which is why i am reacing out to this community. Really more concerned with the timing inbetween processes and what others have experienced. I think we would be OK in an interview, especially if we state that his mother has basically abandoned him. At the moment they have shared legal custody as their divorce was here in the US.

I am in the same situation only my step kids mother isn't taking care of them she did willingly cooperate with them coming to the united states. we just had to send her money to go to town and get the form noterized. If she doesn't want to be a mother seems like she wouldn't care if they went to the united states so it wouldn't or shouldn't be illegal to basically brive her. I know another friend of mine married to a jamaican and mother bailed out on child. they just freaking pay her for her time pretty much to go sign the papers so the child can be with the other parent. sick really. but that's what happens. and we told my step kids mother to go spend time with the kids cuz once they leave teh country they are gone and you know what she told us? freaking give her some money to go and she will go see her kids. so now we would even have to pay her to go visit her kids. ugh we said forget it. kids are better off without her. just give them to me i will be their mother.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.