thefish

Waiting for the K-1 use a tourist visa?

11 posts in this topic

My fiancée is from Hong Kong and I am also currently in Hong Kong (will be leaving in June) anyway I am starting to think that the K-1 will not come through by the middle of June when I have to go home to California. By that time she will have already finished the embassy interview but it is my understanding we wont yet have the visa. I want to bring my fiancée with me, is there any legal way? She has a valid tourist visa, is it possible to come to the USA with the tourist visa then just kind of hang out until the K-1 comes through?

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline
My fiancée is from Hong Kong and I am also currently in Hong Kong (will be leaving in June) anyway I am starting to think that the K-1 will not come through by the middle of June when I have to go home to California. By that time she will have already finished the embassy interview but it is my understanding we wont yet have the visa. I want to bring my fiancée with me, is there any legal way? She has a valid tourist visa, is it possible to come to the USA with the tourist visa then just kind of hang out until the K-1 comes through?

She should have her visa within a few days after the interview if everything is OK.

They will keep her passport and cancel the B2 visa also.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

She has to go through the interview in her home country, so I don't think it will be possible for her to "hang out" while the K-1 goes through. If that were possible, we'd all be with our fiancé(e)'s. :) She can visit, but if its like other countries, she has to show strong ties to her home country before the CBP will let her in. Hope this helps some :)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

She has to go through the interview in her home country, so I don't think it will be possible for her to "hang out" while the K-1 goes through. If that were possible, we'd all be with our fiancé(e)'s. :) She can visit, but if its like other countries, she has to show strong ties to her home country before the CBP will let her in. Hope this helps some :)

They California office is currently working on December 31st 2005 our date is January 17th 2006, so I hope it will come through smoothly. Middle of March would be ok with me, what are the chances of this? Also my fiancée has a possible career move to an office in San Francisco (the company would supply a work visa) is it possible to get this even with the K-1 process going on now?

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

That might be possible, I'm not familiar with work visas. Still, I think she would have to be in Hong Kong for the K-1 interview at the consulate there. I don't think there are any exemptions to this. Yeah, California has really picked up speed. My fiancé and I went through California and it took 104 days to get our approval. There are other couples on here where one is from Hong Kong. Maybe if you go to the Regional Discussion Forum you might find someone there that can tell you better than I. Good Luck! :luv:

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

We just "waited" because I was too stupid/naive. He wanted to file for the k1 the whole time but I always said "oh but I can't be away from you for that long..... I'll get a tourist visa and marry you when I'm there". Turns out I tried to get a tourist visa several times, was denied every time and thank god I realized I was going the wrong way. It's never too late. But if I had done the right thing, I'd probably be there by now.

He went back to the States in June, when I could've filed..... so 8 months of delay.

Oh well, everything happens for a reason... living and learning!! :blush:

Good luck to you!! :thumbs:

OUR COMPLETE TIMELINE

Latest steps:

10/26/2006- Consulate receives case (seriously, one month to receive the case?? BS!), and packet 3 that I sent even before they had received the case.

01/02/2007- Interview!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got a 221(g)

01/23/2007- Second Interview. VISA granted!!!

01/29/2007- VISA arrived.... no envelope though. I'm gonna contact them and see what happened this time!

01/31/2007- I'll have to send them one last financial support evidence.

02/01/2007- Evidence sent

02/02/2007- Evidence received by Consulate

02/06/2007- Consulate sends envelope!

02/07/2007- Envelope received!!!

02/10/2007- Flew to the USA!!!!!!

04/17/2007- Wedding day!!!

--- Wish us luck!!! ---

I would agree with those who say wait. You could possibly delay things for yourself and might have a hard time getting into the country if you try for a tourist visa at the same time as your K1. Best wishes for a speedy approval! :)

Naturalization

=======================================

02/02/2015 - Filed Dallas lockbox. Atlanta office.

02/13/2015 - NOA received

03/10/2015 - Biometrics

03/12/2015 - In-Line for Interview

04/09/2015 - E-notification for Interview Letter

05/18/2015 - Interview - passed!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Did he not say that she HAS a tourist visa already?

The risk you take is that she will be denied at POE because of the K1 being in process. If you can afford for her not to be working, then yes she can attempt entry on her B2, stick out the waiting process (as long as it doesn't go on forever!) and return to Hong Kong for her interview. When the K1 is approved, she can get her passport and visa back, and come out to join you for good. Great in theory, a bummer if she's turned away at POE.

As far as the work situation, I guess she'd be looking at an L visa rather than a H1-B (sounds more like an intercompany transfer from what you've said). I don't know whether she would be granted that seeings as the K1 is going through already. It's certainly something to check out pretty carefully.

Good luck!

:star:

Make sure you're wearing clean knickers. You never know when you'll be run over by a bus.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

An L would be fine as it allows dual intent.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
I would agree with those who say wait. You could possibly delay things for yourself and might have a hard time getting into the country if you try for a tourist visa at the same time as your K1. Best wishes for a speedy approval! :)

I agree. :yes:

Peter Miami

Johanna & Peter

Colombia / U.S.A.

I-129F / K-1 Fiancee Visa

08-20-02 - Met Johanna in Armenia, Colombia

10-05-05 - K-1 Sent to TSC

10-14-05 - Received NOA1 by E-Mail (Day 9)

12-22-05 - Reveived NOA2 By E-Mail & Mail (Day 78)

03-03-06 - Interview Date! (Day 149) Approved

03-10-06 - Johanna Arrived

05-27-06 - Married

I-485 / AOS (Did not applied for EAD or AP)

06-05-06 - Sent I-485 application to Chicago via USPS (Day 1)

06-06-06 - AOS Package Delivered at 12:29PM

06-12-06 - Received NOA1 by Mail

06-14-06 - Check Cashed

06-22-06 - Received Appointment Notice for Biometrics

06-26-06 - "Request for Additional Evidence" Online, waiting for letter

06-29-06 - Biometrics Done!

06-30-06 - Received RFE Letter by mail. (Missing Birth Certificate)

07-10-06 - Sent RFE by Express Mail USPS

07-11-06 - RFE Delivered @ 10:54AM Sign by D. Atwell

08-28-06 - AOS Transferred to CSC E-mail & USCIS Website (Day 85)

08-30-06 - Touched #1

08-31-06 - Touched #2

08-31-06 - E-Mail from CRIS & USCIS-CSSO - CSC received AOS Application

09-01-06 - Touched #3

09-01-06 - NOA by Mail Regarding Transfer to CSC

09-05-06 - Touched #4

09-07-06 - Touched #5

09-13-06 - Touched #6

09-15-06 - AOS Approved by Online Status & E-mail

09-21-06 - Received GC and Welcome Letter (Day 109)

I agree. :yes:

Peter Miami

To clear things up she currently has a valid B2 tourist visa...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.