gretchen_darren

American vs Filipino

222 posts in this topic

perhaps it had to do more with her age than ethnicity. maybe it's more than just a single factor.

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

Darren, it's time to start following your own words. "home. home. home. Now we start adjusting to being together all of the time." start, before it's too late.

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

darren's top 20 fun and light-hearted comments

:wow: darren, if those are your top 20 fun and light-hearted things, i'm pretty sure i don't want to read your bottom 20. :unsure:

You know... I think you hit my bottom 20 with that list... :help:

......not the top 20.....

Top few:

number 1, would be married to a wonderful, loving caring wife.

number 2: my kids and my wife accept each other

number 3: despite all my faults, my wife accepts me, and knows I am trying to improve

number 4: i accept her as she and try my best not to force her to be what I want.

number 5: I can't stand being away from my wife. She is wonderful. Home is very tranquil and peaceful. What I love most about her is how she loves me. She tries her best.

number 6: she accepts my work and the crazy hours it brings....

K-1 Visa Timeline:

02/11/2011 - Engaged at her house by her Godmother.

02/18/2011 - Engagement party with relatives - propose in Visayan.

02/24/2011 - K-1 packet sent.

09/18/2011 - POE, Viva Las Vegas, Baby !!!!! Home to Phoenix.

12/10/2011 - Official Wedding

07/05/2012 - Princess Rose born.

07/07/2012 - AP/EAD received.

07/17/2012 - AOS passed. (Birthday for Mama Rayos)

event.png

event.png

event.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

perhaps it had to do more with her age than ethnicity. maybe it's more than just a single factor.

it may be more then one factor....pregnancy, work, her being shy, I don't know...maybe she gets invites I don't know about until later on.... I have noticed in her family there is always the "don"t tell dad rule" what he doesn't know won't bother him. (I think this partly translated to "don't tell hubby" rule... I have been working hard on getting us over this one...) The hard part has been getting bank accounts setup with her on them so she can take care of bills, plus know where money is going... there has been the perception of us having lots and lots of money plus also the shock in cost of items in the USA being more then expected by her standards.

K-1 Visa Timeline:

02/11/2011 - Engaged at her house by her Godmother.

02/18/2011 - Engagement party with relatives - propose in Visayan.

02/24/2011 - K-1 packet sent.

09/18/2011 - POE, Viva Las Vegas, Baby !!!!! Home to Phoenix.

12/10/2011 - Official Wedding

07/05/2012 - Princess Rose born.

07/07/2012 - AP/EAD received.

07/17/2012 - AOS passed. (Birthday for Mama Rayos)

event.png

event.png

event.png

it may be more then one factor....pregnancy, work, her being shy, I don't know...maybe she gets invites I don't know about until later on.... I have noticed in her family there is always the "don"t tell dad rule" what he doesn't know won't bother him. (I think this partly translated to "don't tell hubby" rule... I have been working hard on getting us over this one...) The hard part has been getting bank accounts setup with her on them so she can take care of bills, plus know where money is going... there has been the perception of us having lots and lots of money plus also the shock in cost of items in the USA being more then expected by her standards.

Aaahhh, so you do treat her like a child.

You're contradicting your wife's behaviour. If prices are higher than she expected why would she be as wasteful as you make her out to be?

You also complain your wife's not into Southern comfort food (by your pic u look 2 comfortable to me) or American food but how much have you compromised on eating food from her culture?? As much as you may find food from the Philippines unsavory, your wife finds American food just as bad. Have you tried to see if both of you like French foods, Italian, Mexican, Chinese, Japanese or Thai foods? Have you tried making your meals be a good combo of American and Philippines styles of cooking?

Edited by aaydrian

The hard part has been getting bank accounts setup with her on them so she can take care of bills, plus know where money is going... there has been the perception of us having lots and lots of money plus also the shock in cost of items in the USA being more then expected by her standards.

Why don't you just go ahead and let Gretchen take care of the budgeting? She might surprise you. :thumbs:

You're contradicting your wife's behaviour. If prices are higher than she expected why would she be as wasteful as you make her out to be?

:thumbs: I've already found out that I'm the wasteful one in my house. :innocent::lol:

You also complain your wife's not into Southern comfort food (by your pic u look 2 comfortable to me) or American food but how much have you compromised on eating food from her culture?? As much as you may find food from the Philippines unsavory, your wife finds American food just as bad. Have you tried to see if both of you like French foods, Italian, Mexican, Chinese, Japanese or Thai foods? Have you tried making your meals be a good combo of American and Philippines styles of cooking?

:thumbs: again. Compromise should be pretty easy. Maybe things are harder due to the pregnancy but I wouldn't think it would be so difficult for two adults to find a meal they can agree on.

Why don't you just go ahead and let Gretchen take care of the budgeting? She might surprise you. :thumbs:

:thumbs: I've already found out that I'm the wasteful one in my house. :innocent::lol:

What guy doesn't love a woman who doesn't decrease the zeros his bank account?

I was very surprised at what was said about this Filipina. I've never heard of a squandering Asian woman...unless their husband/boyfriend pretended to be a big poppa and bit of more than they could chew.

I was very surprised at what was said about this Filipina. I've never heard of a squandering Asian woman...unless their husband/boyfriend pretended to be a big poppa and bit of more than they could chew.

I've already found out that we never throw anything away. We've got food that neither one of us likes, but we keep it in case somebody comes over and maybe they'll like it. :wacko:

You know... I think you hit my bottom 20 with that list... :help:

......not the top 20.....

darren, that was your list, not mine. you said you wanted to talk about lively, funny, and light-hearted stuff, but you went on to post a laundry list of your problems. what's up with that?

Kroger, Safeway, Food lion, Albertson's are "not her food stores", only the Asian market is "her store". (she actually said this recently, I boiling mad inside, but I did not say anything.)

this was one of the most disturbing things you said. why in the world were you boiling mad that gretchen likes the asian market? isn't the asian market the store where you can buy filipino food? what's wrong with gretchen eating filipino food? strange.

The hard part has been getting bank accounts setup with her on them so she can take care of bills, plus know where money is going... there has been the perception of us having lots and lots of money plus also the shock in cost of items in the USA being more then expected by her standards.

darren, would you please stop blowing hot air. there's nothing hard about setting up bank accounts. it took 15 minutes at the bank for my wife and i to do it.

also, gretchen has been there for nine months, so she knows how much things cost. if you have shown her your monthly household budget and she still has the perception that you have lots of money, then there's a problem. then she's telling you she doesn't care.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Age is a factor too many don't want to admit matters.

Young[er]: Defiant; the world is your oyster.

Old[er]: Compliant; the world is what you make of it.

02-27-2013 I-129F Packet Sent
03-03-2013 I-129F Packet Delivery
03-04-2013 NOA1 (text/email)
03-08-2013 A Number Changed
03-09-2013 Received NOA1 hardcopy
06-13-2013 Approved in 99 Days!
06-15-2013 Received NOA2 hardcopy
06-28-2013 Received MNL Case Number
07-08-2013 Manila Embassy Interview scheduled
07-22-2013 SLMEC Medical Exam Day 1
07-23-2013 SLMEC Medical Exam Day 2 - Passed!
08-31-2013 Arrived in Manila
09-02-2013 CFO - PASSED
09-03-2013 Manila Embassy Interview - APPROVED
09-05-2013 Visa Issued
09-09-2013 Visa ready for pick up at SM MOA
09-18-2013 Picked up passport and got CFO sticker

09-22-2013 Departed from Manila
10-04-2013 Fiancee departs for U.S.

Filed: Timeline

Age is a factor too many don't want to admit matters.

Young[er]: Defiant; the world is your oyster.

Old[er]: Compliant; the world is what you make of it.

Younger = spoiled, demanding, foolish

Older = mean, miserly, boring

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.