Just Kelley

Wow, lots of info...

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi everyone - newcomer to the site here and my mind is boggled with all of the information/discussion. :blink:

A friend of mine wants to visit the USA from his home country, Brazil, to check out universities. He thought summer time would be a great time to travel so he could get in a little sight seeing, too. After reading everything here, it seems like a tourist visa is really difficult to obtain. I told him about how he needs to prove to the interviewer that he will, in fact, be returning to Brazil and he was a little concerned because, after everything I told him I read here, he's not sure he has enough documentation to prove that his visit is only temporary. His family owns property in his city and his work has been to help manage that but it's never been a paycheck kind of thing. He also lives with his family - they are very close. He does own a motorbike and has a bank account plus credit cards in his town. Given the above information, what does he need to do to prove that he is, in fact, returning to Brazil? I think he was planning to visit the USA for a month or so. I'll pass on any tips/words of wisdom and I'm sure they will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any relevant and helpful info!

Oh! Also, is there anything I can do here from the states to help him? No big deal if not but I figured there's no harm in asking. :)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Oh! Also, is there anything I can do here from the states to help him? No big deal if not but I figured there's no harm in asking. :)

No

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Any paperwork that proves his ties to him home country.

Mortgage or rental agreements and current payments

Utility Bills and phone bills ( I would take 3 months worth with me when I traveled )

A letter from an employer showing vacation dates

A return plane ticket ( thats a biggie )

Just anything that he thinks that he can prove to show that he has to many responsibilities to just up and walk away from.

~~~ Hes the chance Im taking ~~~

April 2007 - Met online

Oct. 2008 - He came to Canada to meet me

Dec 25 2009 officially engaged

March 2010 - sent off I-129F

March 27 2010 - Vermont receives package :)

April 3 2010 - Informed through mail that cheque is cashed NOA1

May 28 2010 - RFE notification ( yeah Im online checking alot >.< )

June 5 2010 - RFE hardcopy received

June 18 2010 - RFE returned ( had done it June 7 - but USPS returned grrrr )

--- case says we should hear from them in 60 days from June 18 ---

June 23 - Touched

Aug4 - Email notification of NoA2 :)

Aug. 10 - NOA2 Hardcopy received

Sept. 13 - Faxed off Package 3

Sept 14 - Interview notification set for Oct. 5

Oct. 5 2010 Interview Passed

March 17 2011 POE Canadian/US border

April 1 2011 Marriage

Mailed AOS June 1

Chicago Lockbox confirms delivery June 3

Check cashed through bank - notification June 9

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

He should apply and see.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

BlueBonnet, not sure if you read my post or not... as I mentioned, he doesn't have a pay stub or a mortgage. It's a family business and he lives with his mom (his father passed away) so I'm not sure what good bringing utility bills with her name on them would do.. He's a house music fan who wants to study music production and he's really keen on visiting Chicago, the birthplace of house music.He dreams of DJing at the big house music club in his town (evidently, famous DJs from around the world play there).

Boiler, that's his plan, I think. I was just asking for tips on how to convince the interviewers that he'll be coming home - it seems, from what I've read of other people's experiences, to be a pretty subjective process.

Timeline

There is inevitably a small subjective element.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Hi everyone - newcomer to the site here and my mind is boggled with all of the information/discussion. :blink:

A friend of mine wants to visit the USA from his home country, Brazil, to check out universities. He thought summer time would be a great time to travel so he could get in a little sight seeing, too. After reading everything here, it seems like a tourist visa is really difficult to obtain. I told him about how he needs to prove to the interviewer that he will, in fact, be returning to Brazil and he was a little concerned because, after everything I told him I read here, he's not sure he has enough documentation to prove that his visit is only temporary. His family owns property in his city and his work has been to help manage that but it's never been a paycheck kind of thing. He also lives with his family - they are very close. He does own a motorbike and has a bank account plus credit cards in his town. Given the above information, what does he need to do to prove that he is, in fact, returning to Brazil? I think he was planning to visit the USA for a month or so. I'll pass on any tips/words of wisdom and I'm sure they will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any relevant and helpful info!

JK, unfortunately there is nothing you can do to help him, get his visa, for these are granted on the ability of the individual alone. Having said that, here is what I would recommend he do to help him show evidence of the nature and to the purpose of his visit to the US:

1/If he does not have a paycheck, he should be a dependent in his parents' tax returns. If he is past the age of being allowed to be a dependent, tax-wise speaking, he should have his own tax returns. Either will help him prove the source of his income, along with his bank statements.

2/He should have travel plans ready and he should have an airline ticket booked at the time of the interview, just in case. The trick here is that all good fares are non-refundable, so he should find a way by which he can book an airline ticket without losing the entire amount of the ticket in case he needs to cancel it. One easy way is to make the booking close to the date of the interview so it falls within the grace period during which he can cancel the reservation without penalties.

3/He should have all his hotels booked for the duration of his intended stay and they should match his itinerary. If he is staying with you he should be able to furnish the consulate with your full name, address and telephone number.

4/It would help him if by the time of the interview he had already secured and booked some face time with the advisors at the institutions he plans to check out while in the US.

5/He may need to be prepared to discuss the financial aspects of studying in the US. It will not be required at this interview, but he will need to prove he has enough money available to pay for his tuition if/when he comes to apply for a student visa.

6/He needs to have all these documents with him at the time of the interview but he should only produce them if he needs to refer to any of them or if the interviewer asks for any of them.

Wish him good luck!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

I don't know why you think it will be hard. Brazil has a very high approval rate, so much so that they are teetering on becoming a Visa Waiver Program country, where people can visit the US with just a passport. Of course, a high approval rate is no guarantee, but I think you might have missed that somewhere.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Gegal, that's very helpful info, thanks! Since I'm female and he's male, I wasn't sure if him staying with me would hinder his plans or not but if it's no big deal, then sure, why not save a couple thousand dollars? He has no idea if studying here would be condusive to his plans but checking out schools AND making it a visit to the place where his favourite music style was born just seemed like a great idea to him - which made sense to me - and, hey, there's a lot of cool stuff to see and do in Chicago so why not make a full holiday of it?

I wasn't sure if the bad stories of failed attempts at tourist visas here were typical for everyone who aren't from VWP countries or if this is the place people tend to go to to try to find answers if something goes wrong.

One question: I've read conflicting information at this site - some people have said that it's smart to book the flight prior to the visa interview and others have said that the interviewers sometimes consider that pretty nervy behaviour. What about having him book his appointments with the school advisors but hold off on booking the flight until he's approved? Maybe I'm a cheapskate but to me, the idea of booking a $2000 flight with the possibility of losing half of that money just sets my teeth on edge!

I don't know why you think it will be hard. Brazil has a very high approval rate, so much so that they are teetering on becoming a Visa Waiver Program country, where people can visit the US with just a passport. Of course, a high approval rate is no guarantee, but I think you might have missed that somewhere.

Oh I really had no idea, Harpa, LOL! Neither of us knows much about international travel at all (although he did tell me he'd heard on the news that things are moving in that direction). I read some post here about some guy's mother in law who wants to come visit her daughter in the USA and she was rejected even though she has a husband and son in Brazil and has had a job at the same company for more than 30 years so I thought "woah, maybe it's a little more challenging than I thought!"

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Gegal, that's very helpful info, thanks! Since I'm female and he's male, I wasn't sure if him staying with me would hinder his plans or not but if it's no big deal, then sure, why not save a couple thousand dollars? He has no idea if studying here would be condusive to his plans but checking out schools AND making it a visit to the place where his favourite music style was born just seemed like a great idea to him - which made sense to me - and, hey, there's a lot of cool stuff to see and do in Chicago so why not make a full holiday of it?

I wasn't sure if the bad stories of failed attempts at tourist visas here were typical for everyone who aren't from VWP countries or if this is the place people tend to go to to try to find answers if something goes wrong.

One question: I've read conflicting information at this site - some people have said that it's smart to book the flight prior to the visa interview and others have said that the interviewers sometimes consider that pretty nervy behaviour. What about having him book his appointments with the school advisors but hold off on booking the flight until he's approved? Maybe I'm a cheapskate but to me, the idea of booking a $2000 flight with the possibility of losing half of that money just sets my teeth on edge!

JK, imho, when dealing with the US consulates abroad, the truth is always the best option. If he is staying with you there should be no problem in disclosing that, unless the two of you are an item in which case it might set off an alarm.

If his plan is to check out universities and schools he should be able to discuss that at some level with the interviewer. It shows preparedness. There is nothing wrong in making a full vacation out of this visit either and there is no reason to keep that from the interviewer. Alas, Chicago is one of my favorite cities!

All the bad visa stories you heard are quite possibly true. It is true however, that in most cases, visas are often denied to those who misrepresent themselves or lie to the interviewer and somehow, these people can sense it.

I mentioned the airline booking - and hello, yiiikes... gambling on 2,000 is steep for anyone - in case he could do it without penalties. Where some see nervy behavior others see confidence. In any case, the airline ticket is not a litmus test.

The most important thing he can do is be honest and truthful with the interviewer.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

You should not buy a ticket until you have the visa in hand, especially one that is not refundable.

BlueBonnet, not sure if you read my post or not... as I mentioned, he doesn't have a pay stub or a mortgage. It's a family business and he lives with his mom (his father passed away) so I'm not sure what good bringing utility bills with her name on them would do.. He's a house music fan who wants to study music production and he's really keen on visiting Chicago, the birthplace of house music.He dreams of DJing at the big house music club in his town (evidently, famous DJs from around the world play there).Boiler, that's his plan, I think. I was just asking for tips on how to convince the interviewers that he'll be coming home - it seems, from what I've read of other people's experiences, to be a pretty subjective process.

Whether it's difficult or not, aside from ties, usually depends on the country/consulate and how credible his trip sounds to the CO.

I know it seems like a huge hurdle and quite frankly, the amount of paperwork going into a mere tourist visa application can seem a lot. Wording on different websites too can be enough to scare anyone away.

I have no idea how difficult the various consulates in Brazil can be, but as Harpa Timsah said, the approval ratings for Brazil are pretty high. While it is advisable that he brings any and all documentation he can, don't be surprised is he's not asked to show any at all. Again, he may be asked to show everything too.. The problem with any visa application and anything in immigration really is that nothing is guaranteed until the visa is in hand, even then, the CBP (at the airport) has the final say on everything.

I'd just have him focus on his plans (wanting to check out colleges sounds like a legit plan). I would advise him though to have a clear idea of what colleges specifically he's looking at, and where, as this is something that's likely to be asked at the interview.

Like, if they ask him "what colleges are you looking at?" then an asnwer like "I've been looking at UCLA, US and a few others in the LA area" would sound a LOT better than "I don't know. Maybe in LA."

Just my two cents.

Edited by jaejayC

Really appreciate those suggestions, thanks! There are several colleges for music production in this city so I doubt setting up appointments to visit will be an issue and he's not on any sort of a tight deadline that I'm aware of so taking his time to prepare before setting up his interview shouldn't be any trouble whatsoever.

I love showing my city off to friends and once you get away from the tourist trap areas, it becomes quadruply amazing. I think he'd really enjoy experiencing some of our festivals (we have several to choose from every weekend all summer long) if he can make it here before Labor Day!

I'll pass on the well wishes to him the next time we chat - thanks again for the helpful tips, everyone!

Just FYI, the refusal rate for 2011 was 3.8 %. http://www.travel.state.gov/pdf/FY11.pdf

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.