one...two...tree

Los Angeles becomes largest U.S. city to ban plastic bags

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

It was really strange pushing the cart out of the store, and no bags.

Hmmmm...but this is interesting...remember back in the 70s when all products in the grocery store had a ton of extra packaging? And, sometime during that decade, it was decided that all that extra packaging was not necessary/wasteful...so the majority of it was removed. So, perhaps it is the same with the use of plastic bags? I mean, do we really need 'em? I mean, do I really need my 12 pack of beer put into a plastic bag? Nah... :star:

Maybe next time, if I forget to bring the plastic bags, I won't take option B of buying them for a nickel. I'll just wheel them out to the car sans bagging completely. Good thoughts...why not?

Ya...its going to be a boring day here. I'm on vacation, wife is working. However, I still have to do a couple hours of month-end reporting (from home)...and then taking my wife/daughter to the airport tomorrow so they can go home for a month. so, sure, I have time to join the Great Plastic Bag Debate! VJ can still be fun :star::rofl:

Edited by BishopM

“Acquire the spirit of peace and a thousand souls around you will be saved.” Saint Seraphim of Sarov

jesus-animated-gif-image-0110.gif

“The love of one’s country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border?” Pablo Cassals

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Club warehouses like Costco and Sam's Club do not use bags of any kind.

Plastic bags are ubiquitous. Each year the world goes through some 500 Billion plastic bags. Of that, WorldWatch Institute estimates that about 100 Billion are used and discarded in the US alone, at the cost of 12 million barrels of oil.

Only about 2% of these bags are recycled. Most have a short lifetime with a consumer — they are used for the few minutes it takes to get from the store to home and then they're thrown away. Plastic shopping bags can last up to a thousand years in a landfill. In the environment, they break down into tiny, toxic particles that become part of the soil and water. They contribute to the plastic debris in the ocean that kill an estimated 1 million sea creatures each year.

Eliminating the use of disposable plastic bags is about more than just the environment, it is about health, sustainability, economics and ultimately, the quality of our life.

Plastic Bags Bans Around The World

United States

Alaska – As of 1998, 30 villages; California | Fairfax; Malibu; Manhattan Beach (In lawsuit), Oakland – voluntary ban; Palo Alto; San Francisco; Edmonds, WA; Iowa | Marshall County; Hawaii | Maui County; Paia; Kauai County; North Carolina (Outer Banks) ; New York | Suffolk County; Connecticut | Westport ;

Rest of the World

Bangladesh-2002; Bhutan-2007; Botswana-2007; Brazi-2007; Buenos Aires, Argentina – 2008; China-2008; Coles Bay, Tasmania -2003; Egypt (partial) – 2009 ; Eritrea –2005; France – Phase out completely by 2010; Corsica –1999; Paris, France – Full ban adopted January 2007; India – In 2002, a thickness rule on plastic bags; Delhi, India – Full ban 2009; Chandigarh, India – 2008; Himachal Pradesh, India—Full ban 2003; Maharashtra, India—Full ban 2005; Italy – Effective 2010. Karachi, Pakistan — 2008; Kenya –2007; Loddon Shire, Victoria (Australia) – 2005; Macedonia – 2009; Manitoba, Canada Coldwell – 2008; Eriksdale – 2008; Leaf Rapids –2007; Mexico City, Mexico – 2009; New South Wales (Australia); Kangaroo Valley – 2003; Mogo – 2003; Nova Scotia, Canada – 2008; Papua New Guinea — 2004; Quebec, Canada – 2009; Huntingdon – 2008; Amqui, Quebec – 2008; Rwanda—2005; Somalia—Adopted in 2005; Somaliland – 2005; South Africa– 2003; South Australia – 2008; Spain – Mandatory phase out of 50% by end of 2009; Taiwan – 2007; Tanzania – 2006; Zanzibar, Tanzania – Ban in 2006; Uganda–2007; Ulanbaatar, Mongolia – 2008; United Arab Emirates – 2013

United Kingdom: Aylsham, England – 2008; Banchory, Scotland – 2008; Girton – 2008; Hay-On-Wye, Wales – 2007; Hebden Bridge, England – 2007; Henfield, England – 2008; Kew, England – 2008; Llandysilio, Wales – 2007; Modbury, England – May 1, 2007

Overton, England – 2007; Selkirk, Scotland –2008; Tisbury, England – 2008

http://www.droptheplasticbag.org/

Edited by Mister Fancypants

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I like that many stores in the area here are now selling inexpensive re-usable bags, some of which are insulated so can be used for frozen or refrigerated foods. I have collected these over the years (hehe having to buy another one because I forgot to put the one I had used last back in the car) and now have enough that I keep in the trunk so whenever I go into a store, I just load myself up with my own reusable bags and leave the plastic ones behind. Many grocery stores here now have a place where you can drop off your old plastic bags and they recycle them, which is a great idea. I re-use the ones I have but it will be great when things like plastic bags are made of biodegradable plastic, like some of the big leaf bags now are, rather than a product that will not disintegrate for thousands of years. One of my concerns about these items when they get into the environment is that they can harm wildlife - animals get the plastic handles stuck on their necks or feet causing them distress and in some cases death. Those little plastic rings from around milk bottles and such are another problem. I end up cutting the ring so it isn't a complete circle before I dispose of it - and yes, there isn't a place here where I can recycle plastics so I end up having to throw it in the garbage. Recycling is really big back in Canada but it is only beginning to catch on here over the last few years. When I moved here we looked for a composter so we could compost left over food stuffs and use it as fertilizer in the garden. No one at Lowes or Home Depot knew what they were! Now, you see them on sale all over which is great.

We do need to get better at becoming less of a disposable, throw a way society. We have so many resources available and we end up wasting many of them which could be recycled and returned to a productive use instead of clogging a landfill - or waterways.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

I remember when some of the big supermarkets in the UK started charging 10p for each plastic carrier bag. In the lead-up to implementation, many of the supermarkets gave away "forever bags" -- very strong plastic bags which could be turned in and replaced for free when they wore out/broke. After a while, they put the price of the forever bags up to about a pound (can't quite remember). Anyway, it got people to reuse bags because old, worn-out ones were replaced for free and recycled. I still have a gazillion of these forever bags going strong after 5 years in the US.

I went to Jo-Ann Fabrics on Sunday in Santa Monica and there was a sign up warning that effective immediately there would be a 10 cent charge for bags. Luckily I had a nylon reusable bag in my car. Didn't mind using it at all. When LA goes onto the charging scheme, I assume I'll still pony up frequently since the bags are very useful for cat litter disposal.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I like that many stores in the area here are now selling inexpensive re-usable bags, some of which are insulated so can be used for frozen or refrigerated foods. I have collected these over the years (hehe having to buy another one because I forgot to put the one I had used last back in the car) and now have enough that I keep in the trunk so whenever I go into a store, I just load myself up with my own reusable bags and leave the plastic ones behind. Many grocery stores here now have a place where you can drop off your old plastic bags and they recycle them, which is a great idea. I re-use the ones I have but it will be great when things like plastic bags are made of biodegradable plastic, like some of the big leaf bags now are, rather than a product that will not disintegrate for thousands of years. One of my concerns about these items when they get into the environment is that they can harm wildlife - animals get the plastic handles stuck on their necks or feet causing them distress and in some cases death. Those little plastic rings from around milk bottles and such are another problem. I end up cutting the ring so it isn't a complete circle before I dispose of it - and yes, there isn't a place here where I can recycle plastics so I end up having to throw it in the garbage. Recycling is really big back in Canada but it is only beginning to catch on here over the last few years. When I moved here we looked for a composter so we could compost left over food stuffs and use it as fertilizer in the garden. No one at Lowes or Home Depot knew what they were! Now, you see them on sale all over which is great.

We do need to get better at becoming less of a disposable, throw a way society. We have so many resources available and we end up wasting many of them which could be recycled and returned to a productive use instead of clogging a landfill - or waterways.

Hydrocarbon based products, whether disposable diapers or plastic bags and bottles, can harm the environment when they de-compose because they release the carbon as CO2! Burying these things in huge landfills where they will remain many thousands of years actually makes sense from the perspective of global warming. It is a relatively small contribution but it is beneficial to the extent that you have 'locked' away that carbon for the time being.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

people will now wear carry sacks.. lol

Thanks to the economy, they do that already.

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hydrocarbon based products, whether disposable diapers or plastic bags and bottles, can harm the environment when they de-compose because they release the carbon as CO2! Burying these things in huge landfills where they will remain many thousands of years actually makes sense from the perspective of global warming. It is a relatively small contribution but it is beneficial to the extent that you have 'locked' away that carbon for the time being.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Timeline

I'm a Leafs fan, I put on one reuseable paper bag and I'm good to go for all 82 games.

IR5

Timeline

I helped the environment today (and saved a nickel) by just-sayin'-NO when asked if I needed my 6 pack in a plastic bag.

I iz a responsiblz citizen.

Blessings!

“Acquire the spirit of peace and a thousand souls around you will be saved.” Saint Seraphim of Sarov

“The love of one’s country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border?” Pablo Cassals

Timeline

I helped the environment today (and saved a nickel) by just-sayin'-NO when asked if I needed my 6 pack in a plastic bag.

I iz a responsiblz citizen.

Blessings!

I knew that this parable somehow involved St. Vitus.yes.gif

IR5

Timeline

I knew that this parable somehow involved St. Vitus.yes.gif

Brother 5, Blessings! And, yes, you know me well :yes:

In fact, now that I think about it, lets make that a shot of blessings a double! :yes:

:innocent:

MK

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I'm a Leafs fan, I put on one reuseable paper bag and I'm good to go for all 82 games.

:lol:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Timeline

I remember this "the sky is falling" hysteria back in Germany as various types of containers were banned or refundable deposits collected and plastic bags had to be paid for at the checkout counter. That started decades ago and when I visited last year, that darn sky was still up there. Imagine that. I shop at Aldi here every now and then (yes, a German discount grocery chain) and there you don't get free bags. And you have to put a quarter into the cart which you get back after you bring it back to the front of the store. You can leave it in the parking lot just as you would going to your local Publix - only at Aldi, that'll cost you a quarter. Now, you save many quarters during your shopping trip so you still come out way ahead. You come out way ahead still even if you buy some plastic bags to toss your groceries into which Publix gives to your "for free". On the other hand, you can use either reusable bags or just grab one of the cartons in the store to carry your stuff home. That's free. Plastic bags will go away. I've gotten used to that decades ago and I know that the sky won't be falling once it happens. There will be less trash, that's all.

Timeline

Brother 5, Blessings! And, yes, you know me well :yes:

In fact, now that I think about it, lets make that a shot of blessings a double! :yes:

:innocent:

MK

Peace and Blessings to you, too, Padre.innocent.gif I do indeed know you to be a faithful worshipper of the Spirits, although I don't delve Introit. tongue.gif

IR5