356 posts in this topic

:help: I am in dyer need for a little advice. I am married to my Italian prince and we are both living now in Italy. The original plan was to get married here and get his visa through direct consulate. Well, it seems as though that fast track may not exist here in Rome. I am anxiouse to get back to work in the states. I was advised to apply for the I-130 then when I recieved the notice apply for the I-129F. This is supposed to be the quickest way for us to leave the country. My concern is would it be smarter for us to stick out his I-130 here in Italy? May it be a quicker and easier process for him to recieve his visa here in Rome? I asume since I live in California finishing our visa journey there may be a long long complicated fiet. I have been holding on to these forms for 2 months anxiety ridden with what to do. I don't mind sticking things out for the next 6 months or so if it will may life less complicated in the end. Please, please I beg anyone with any tid bit of info for a moment of your time to help. Thank You :help:

colgirl,

yes I believe your best bet is cr1 and so do I130 alone..the process realy doesn t take longer than the k3 that you will have to adjust later ...if you are willing to wait a couple extra months, it is a smart way to go .

good luck :thumbs:

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

colgirl,

Hi and welcome to our little bunch, glad you found your way here. In no time you'll sort your options out and find the right one for you and your husbands needs. Don't put too much worry into the process like I did, you'll see in the end that it wasn't that bad at all, quite simple once you get the hang of things really, so set your worries aside!

whattodo did a great job of explaining things, nice and simple unlike me....

First things first, do you have a permessio di sorrgiorno/Permit of Stay in Italy? You'll need that to be able to use the DCF option.

You mentioned "Well, it seems as though that fast track may not exist here in Rome."

If you are talking about DCF an option in Italy, Rome/Embassy just takes care of the first thing you will file, the I-130. I believe yes, Italy still offers DCF or have things changed that much since I filed? Here's the number I called quite often: 0646742190

You will send just the I-130 form and the documents they requested to the Embassy in Rome who will process just those papers. Looks like they take about a month to be approved. After approval, they will contact you stating that the I-130 Petition for Relative was approved and sent to the Consulate in Naples for further processing. In my opinion, all the staff at Rome couldn't have been more polite and helpful. I'm thankful I was able to call them for any concerns or questions.

Naples, will take care of the other forms and surprisingly was also wonderful to go through in my opinion. Yes, they were slow sending us papers, but in reality we didn't need to wait on their papers because you can download and print everything you need from the internet! We were assigned an interview date really quick too. There are easy as cake to contact for questions on Tues and Wed, and are SO laid back, they asked for those required documents at the interview, (birth certs, marriage certs, etc. ) and that was pretty much it! I'm sure every case is different, but if yours is straight forward, they will be staight forward also.

Our whole process took 3 and a half months! They estimate that it will take 4-6 months. That wouldn't happen in the U.S. as far as I know it's more like 6+ months!?! It would have been even faster for us if the Adam Walsh Act didn't confuse and put a hold on things at the Rome Embassy for us! You can look in the processing times or the immigration timelines tabs at the top of the page and get a better idea as to what the california service center looks like. I haven't done my research, but in my opinion DCF is generally alot faster!

You might need to consider the I-864/Affidavit of Support, it is a form stating that the spouse immigrating will not become a public charge in the U.S. (ask for food stamps/other help from the U.S. goverment) You will always be the main spronsor for your spouse and only U.S. income is counted. If you have no or not enough U.S. income (i think its some where in the 16,000$'s per year or xxx much cash) you'll need to get a joint sponsor who is a U.S. citizen and makes more than that to support your spouse.

If you just do not have anyone to be a joint sponsor THEN I would consider you going to the U.S. continuing to work for the I-864 purpose, keeping the 16,000+ amount in mind.

Read MargotDarko's post here : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;#entry1047890

So my vote is DCF. I'm thankful we were able to do it! But then again I don't know so much about the U.S. route, can your husband be in the U.S. during the process over there? I thought no, but I'm not sure. All i know is that it seems to take longer. Sorry I'm not much help, you might try to post there too and see about others, or check peoples timelines.

Another thing i wanted to add. If your married for less than two years at the time of the visa approval, (called conditional) your husband will later adjust status in the U.S. if instead you are married for more than 2 yrs at time of visa (called unconditional) then he will not havve to adjust status later.

cr1=conditional=married less than 2 yrs and ir1=unconditional=married more that 2 yrs.

So, I would suggest the DCF Italy route to everyone! lol

Hope you've made some sense from my jibberish, sorry to not be much help! Let us know what your deciding!

Bree

Jan 17 2007.......I-130 arrived at Rome Embassy

Feb 23 2007.......I-130 approved

Mar 05 2007.......Naples recieved I-130 from Rome

Mar 21 2007.......NOA recieved from Rome by Fax

Mar 28 2007.......Interview Appt Date set for 8th May

May 08 2007.......Visa Approved, also our Wedding Ann!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi guys,

3sila, hope everything is going well, I know today and tomorrow are very important for you, please give all of us details!

My husband's interview is in one week. We have yet to pay the 100 dollars at Banco Nazionale di Lavoro. What does he have to say when he goes there? (In italian, please!) Does he fill in a form, or just simply tell them that he has to pay the visa fee?

Thanks!

Molly

08-16-2007: Husband arrives in Chicago

10-13-2007: AOS package sent

10-24-2007: Received NOA1 for AOS, EAD, and AP

Timeline

:thumbs: Thank you everyone for your advise. You have no idea how much it help it is. Or perhaps you do! I think I will do everything here in Italy and be patient. I'm just a little concerned about the affidavid of support. My taxex for the last several years I have made plenty. But, now I work here and it seems that I can not use that income. But, I will leap over that bridge when I get to it. I only pray once we get all this I-130 paper work done things will move quickly. Any advise on wheater I should include photo's or extra stuff to prove our case with the I-130? Either way I think I'm ready to start the process. I'll keep ya'll updated. And look forward to offering my advise to anyone else in need. Lotsa thanks!!!! :no: Colgirl

Hi Colgirl,

I have not yet started the process but my understanding is that you can go through the process for an immigration visa (IR-1, or CR-1 if you're newly married) in Rome if you are already married and if the US citizen is resident in Italy, i.e., has a permesso di soggiorno. The I-129F has no part in this process, as far as I know. The I-130 petition needs to be submitted to and approved by the USCIS office in Rome (at the Embassy) and then the visa interview will happen at the US Consulate in Naples. You (the US part of the couple) need to be resident in Italy for the first part of the process, the petition approval in Rome. After that, I imagine you could leave and go to work in the US... In fact, it might help your application since you'll need to show resources to support your husband in the second part of the process.

As I said, I'm no expert, because I haven't started yet. But that's what I understand.

:help: I am in dyer need for a little advice. I am married to my Italian prince and we are both living now in Italy. The original plan was to get married here and get his visa through direct consulate. Well, it seems as though that fast track may not exist here in Rome. I am anxiouse to get back to work in the states. I was advised to apply for the I-130 then when I recieved the notice apply for the I-129F. This is supposed to be the quickest way for us to leave the country. My concern is would it be smarter for us to stick out his I-130 here in Italy? May it be a quicker and easier process for him to recieve his visa here in Rome? I asume since I live in California finishing our visa journey there may be a long long complicated fiet. I have been holding on to these forms for 2 months anxiety ridden with what to do. I don't mind sticking things out for the next 6 months or so if it will may life less complicated in the end. Please, please I beg anyone with any tid bit of info for a moment of your time to help. Thank You :help:

3sila- Sending you and yours lots of Good Luck wishes for tomorrow! Hope everything goes smoothly! Give us the news as soon as you get it!! :yes: Bree

Molly- So the big day's almost here!! Nerve racking huh? Now that 100 Dollars is for what if I may ask? Is that the interview fee? I hope someone can answer your question about the check. Let me know what you find out. Bree

colgirl- I'm glad everyone's ideas helped you out some, don't hesitate to ask anything else here. Do you have a joint-sponsor in mind for the Affidavit of Support/I-864, a relative or friend to help you out? Time flies.

Here's a link my/others Cover Letters for the first step, the I-130 that you'll send to the Rome Embassy.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3445

It's also helpful becasue of the documents listed. Good Luck!

Bree

3sila- Sending you and yours lots of Good Luck wishes for tomorrow! Hope everything goes smoothly! Give us the news as soon as you get it!! :yes: Bree

Bree

breezy,

WE GOT IT :dance:

Thank you SO MUCH for all the help..

Hi guys,

3sila, hope everything is going well, I know today and tomorrow are very important for you, please give all of us details!

My husband's interview is in one week. We have yet to pay the 100 dollars at Banco Nazionale di Lavoro. What does he have to say when he goes there? (In italian, please!) Does he fill in a form, or just simply tell them that he has to pay the visa fee?

Thanks!

Molly

I wish you and your husband the best of luck, :star:

I am not sure as far as the fees because we filled for cr1 and not the k3 and so the only thing that my hubby payed for was the medical exam and veccination fees and that was about 235 eu and he payed cash NO PROBLEMS .

let me know if you have any other questions I will try to help. I will write a detailed review for the medical and the interview soon :luv:

i am still waiting the packet 3 :crying:

but why i ll find inside it the DS 230 and I 864 affidavit of support

that i have already filled ?

i have to fill them again???

ot it s enough the copy i have of them

i have to fill the ds 156 online ?? when ?

Kappa,

if you are filling for the cr1 like we are ..I wouldn t count on the embassay sending any packet...email them they will send you an interview letter and that all you need . all the document you would need are the ones sent with the ds 230 part I document instructions and download the ds 23 part II ....ds 3026 for the medical exam

that is all you need NO 156 that is for the k 3 visa not the cr1 okay

let me know if you need help finding the forms I can email them to you or give you a link okay

best of luck :luv:

Timeline
i am still waiting the packet 3 :crying:

but why i ll find inside it the DS 230 and I 864 affidavit of support

that i have already filled ?

i have to fill them again???

ot it s enough the copy i have of them

i have to fill the ds 156 online ?? when ?

Kappa,

if you are filling for the cr1 like we are ..I wouldn t count on the embassay sending any packet...email them they will send you an interview letter and that all you need . all the document you would need are the ones sent with the ds 230 part I document instructions and download the ds 23 part II ....ds 3026 for the medical exam

that is all you need NO 156 that is for the k 3 visa not the cr1 okay

let me know if you need help finding the forms I can email them to you or give you a link okay

CONGRATS!

That's so wonderful to hear...when is he flying to the US?

Quick question for you, do you know if they asked for your husband's Permesso di Soggiorno? (I think I remember you saying that he is a foreigner in Italy)...We're just not sure if that is something he should bring...my husband has had the "striscia" for almost a year now, and his permesso di soggiorno isn't ready yet, but it's already almost expired and he hasn't even gotten it!

mollyreyna,

thank you :luv: he is flying sometimes next month :whistle:

well to answer your question, he wasn t asked about the permesso di soggiorno but he had it as well as his work certificate. I hope they won t ask your husband but I believe he should have a receipt for his filled permesso that should do :)

don t worry about the interview so much it will be way simpler than what you think. just make sure he is organized and know what to expect okay

Edited by all for my love

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

congratulations!!

:thumbs::dance::thumbs::dance::thumbs::dance::thumbs::dance::thumbs:

edited to: reduce the amount of emoticons ive put in the post, becasue a certain number isnt allowed!!????

lets try to take out more the 2nd time...

a 3rd try??!

congratulations!!

edited to: reduce the amount of emoticons ive put in the post, becasue a certain number isnt allowed!!????

lets try to take out more the 2nd time...

a 3rd try??!

Thank you so much :luv:

when are you moving to the usa ?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

congratulations!!

congratulation again!!!!!!

who fill the ds 3026? the doctor ??

it s easy to fill??

--------------------------

-Married in Italy 2006

-Received Green Card-conditional status, Nov.2007

-Filed for removal of conditional status, June, 2009

-Received NOA, June 22, 2009

Waiting for Biometrics letter...

Timeline
mollyreyna,

thank you :luv: he is flying sometimes next month :whistle:

well to answer your question, he wasn t asked about the permesso di soggiorno but he had it as well as his work certificate. I hope they won t ask your husband but I believe he should have a receipt for his filled permesso that should do :)

don t worry about the interview so much it will be way simpler than what you think. just make sure he is organized and know what to expect okay

Did he have to show his original birth certificate or was a copy okay?

I've been a disaster b/c my husband lost his birth certificate and had have his aunt in Ecuador get a new one...she sent it in the mail but it still hasn't arrived yet. We have copies of the old one. I'm going crazy, I can't believe this is happening!

congratulations!!

congratulation again!!!!!!

who fill the ds 3026? the doctor ??

it s easy to fill??

I had printed the ds 3026 and send it to my husband not sure if he would need it , as you know we never received the interview packet. the doctor and his help help him fill it out, but he was told he was supposed to fill it out before getting there.

it is a very simple form that asked questions about health history.

best of luck.. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.