one...two...tree

You can identify poor neighborhoods from space

32 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I have no problem with that. And if it makes rich people healthier because they have trees then that's how it is.

I'm saying that if you've dedicated your life to find out why rich people are i.e. healthier, then this would be an interesting statistic to look at.

If it was somehow concluded that rich people don't get asthma (example) because they live in greener areas, then knowing that is valuable information. Whether tax dollars should then be spent on more trees in poorer neighborhoods is where it becomes political.

You can't be serious? You actually believe that planting a tree in front of each house is going to make the residents healthier?

First of all these "poor neighborhoods" we are talking about have REAL health problems.... Like their murder rate exceed that of many war zones. And you want to plant trees. :whistle:

Variances in Healthcare- Poor people are exclusivly using Gov't provided healthcare, wealthy neighborhoods typically have private secured Healthcare..

Start your research there.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I have no problem with that. And if it makes rich people healthier because they have trees then that's how it is.

I'm saying that if you've dedicated your life to find out why rich people are i.e. healthier, then this would be an interesting statistic to look at.

If it was somehow concluded that rich people don't get asthma (example) because they live in greener areas, then knowing that is valuable information. Whether tax dollars should then be spent on more trees in poorer neighborhoods is where it becomes political.

Don't worry. Obama understands this and has a solution. Perhaps you have heard about it.

Take the money away from the rich people and give it to the poor.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Filed: Timeline

I can google the Philippines and looks the same the entire county is poor. When you fly out of there on a 747 and look down the pictures look the same as the ones here.

You mean you don't notice all the squatter villages next to the newer subdivisions and gated communities? This is Quezon City:

Te8FX.jpg

Filed: Timeline

You can't be serious? You actually believe that planting a tree in front of each house is going to make the residents healthier?First of all these "poor neighborhoods" we are talking about have REAL health problems.... Like their murder rate exceed that of many war zones. And you want to plant trees. :whistle:Variances in Healthcare- Poor people are exclusivly using Gov't provided healthcare, wealthy neighborhoods typically have private secured Healthcare..Start your research there.

I'm speaking strictly hypothetical. I did my major thesis on statistics, so statistics fascinate me (I know how that sounds, lol). The only points I've made are:

1. Richer neighborhoods statistically have more trees.

2. Rich people are statistically healthier than poor people.

3. There could, or could not be a link. Most likely not.

4. Most likely, other factors are a lot more important.

5. Any statistic showing significant links between A and B are relevant. But that doesn't mean they're the answer.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

dang, i live in a rich neighborhood. i have about as many trees as are in most of those pics.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

I'm speaking strictly hypothetical. I did my major thesis on statistics, so statistics fascinate me (I know how that sounds, lol). The only points I've made are:

5. Any statistic showing significant links between A and B are relevant. But that doesn't mean they're the answer.

Rich neighborhoods have more trees for two reasons - a higher tax base for more street trees and better maintenance as well as lower densities with MUCH more strict planning rules. These rules include the preservation of existing trees.

Rich people are healthier than poor people because they rely less on heavily processed foods and fast foods.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I am sure it would be easy to prove that,

a - being healthy increases your likelihood of becoming rich.

b - being rich allows you to own much larger residential properties.

c - Larger residential properties are much more likely to have trees.

Other associations may also be relevant.

Being rich may allow one to access better healthcare and thus stay healthy.

Rich people may be more likely to eat healthy diets to stay healthy.

Rich people may be able to demand and get more improvements for their neighborhoods from local government.

Rich people are probably more likely to be able to afford living farther from city centers and thus benefit from newer attitudes about green spaces in newer residential neighborhoods.

Poor people may be more likely to use drugs and have other habits leading to poor health.

Where I live everyone, regardless of income, lives in close proximity to abundant natural habitats. The deer, squirrels, rabbits, bears, moose, etc greatly outnumber humans!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Anyone who has spent time in a poor/rich neighborhood can easily see the difference, and I've noticed that trees are a part of the difference.

“Acquire the spirit of peace and a thousand souls around you will be saved.” Saint Seraphim of Sarov

jesus-animated-gif-image-0110.gif

“The love of one’s country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border?” Pablo Cassals