siot2012

How to get fee waiver for re-entry permit ?- Share Opinions

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

I have got conditions removed from my gc and want to go out of US for like 1 1/2 yrs for studies as my education isn't recognized here

I haven't worked in US last 2 yrs ( as I wasn't eligible because of my education not recognized in US). I have no money at all

My spouse is not ready to give the fee as its not going smooth with him

Any suggestions on what reasons or grounds I should apply for Fee Waiver for Re-Entry permit

I think once I apply they will let me know by notice whether it has been approved or not

If not approved do I just need to send the fee or fresh application ( anyhow I think it will stretch total time frame)

Also I think instead of 1 1/2 yrs if I am able to complete my education in one year, my previous stay in US will be counted towards residency requirement for Citizenship

Also 1% if I get the permit but decide not to avail it or use it, can i get refund of permit fee

Thanks a lot

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You can ask for a fee waiver, if you have to pay the fee there are never any refunds once they process it. If you leave the US for a year you have broken your residency.

(ii) For period in excess of one (1) year. Unless an applicant applies for benefits in accordance with § 316.5(d) , absences from the United States for a continuous period of one (1) year or more during the period for which continuous residence is required under § 316.2(a)(3) and (a)(5) shall disrupt the continuity of the applicant's residence. An applicant described in this paragraph who must satisfy a five-year statutory residence period may file an application for naturalization four years and one day following the date of the applicant's return to the United States to resume permanent residence. An applicant described in this paragraph who must satisfy a three-year statutory residence period may file an application for naturalization two years and one day following the da te of the applicant's return to the United States to resume permanent residence. (Amended 9/24/93; 58 FR 49913)

So your last year out counts but your time before you left is gone and if you are out more than a year the time over the year is also out.

Hi,

I have got conditions removed from my gc and want to go out of US for like 1 1/2 yrs for studies as my education isn't recognized here

I haven't worked in US last 2 yrs ( as I wasn't eligible because of my education not recognized in US). I have no money at all

Any suggestions on what reasons or grounds I should apply for Fee Waiver for Re-Entry permit

I think once I apply they will let me know by notice whether it has been approved or not

If not approved do I just need to send the fee or fresh application ( anyhow I think it will stretch total time frame)

Also I think instead of 1 1/2 yrs if I am able to complete my education in one year, my previous stay in US will be counted towards residency requirement for Citizenship

Also 1% if I get the permit but decide not to avail it or use it, can i get refund of permit fee

Thanks a lot

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Timeline

Hello,

I know I posted few days back too but really sorry as getting conflicting information when I called USCIS

1. A permanent resident can stay safely outside US for less than 1 year - Is that true ? ( I think it used to be 6 months)

2. Re-entry permit is only required for outside stay more than 1 year

3. If I apply for re-entry permit with fee waiver form - what if they find me not eligible for fee waiver ? (Will they just call me to send the money or I would have to reapply)

My priority is to get re-entry permit ASAP and second priority is if I can get a fee waiver as I don't work & spouse not ready to cooperate

Also can someone tell me if I send permit application today, how much time it takes for biometrics to come ?

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** two topics merged and one without answers removed. Please do not start more than one topic on a question. If the answers VJers give is unclear, you have additional info or a follow-on question, post them as a reply in the same thread *****

1. Between 6 months and 1 year, it is up to you to prove you still maintain residence in the USA. Over one year outside without a re-entry permit and they will yank your greencard.

2. Yes.

Edited by Penguin_ie

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi,

Thanks a lot

Fee waiver may be difficult to secure as you are going to have enough money for a plane ticket and tuition. That is likely far more than the $445 application fee. The thinking will be if you've got the $$ for the travel, you've got the $$ for the fee.

No fee refunds.

Your thinking to return at 3 years of marriage point to apply for citizenship may not work. It could be difficult to convince an interviewer that you've been carrying on a bona fide marriage during your time abroad.

Slightly off topic -> There are several ways to have foreign educational credits and credentials evaluated and certified for use in the US.

More off topic > Just divorce and move on. Sounds like you are using the education abroad as an excuse to escape your marriage.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.