Shari

How do you prove new citizenship?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

:goofy: Good afternoon. We just posted my hubby's N-400. YAY!!!! :dance:

We were talking afterward about how nice it will be to have the FN (foreign national) taken off his driver's license but then we wondered HOW will my hubby prove he a US Citizen when he goes to change this. Does he get something at the Oath Ceremony? Will he need to carry it with him rather than the GC until his Driver's License is changed and the FN is removed in case he was pulled over and he didn't have a GC with a FN on his license? Never thought of this before. Thanks! :goofy:

K1 PROCESS:

04/08/05 . . . . Sent I-129F to TSC

08/31/05 . . . . London Interview - APPROVED

AOS PROCESS:

10/06/05 . . . . Sent AOS/EAD/AP to Chicago Lockbox

05/16/06 . . . . APPROVED.

REMOVING CONDITIONS PROCESS:

03/03/08 . . . . Sent I-751 packet to TSC.

02/27/09 . . . . APPROVED.

CITIZENSHIP PROCESS:

05/21/12 . . . . Sent N-400 packet to Dallas lockbox

09/11/12 . . . . Interview in Atlanta. Oath ceremony same day. Keith is a U.S. Citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

We were talking afterward about how nice it will be to have the FN (foreign national) taken off his driver's license but then we wondered HOW will my hubby prove he a US Citizen when he goes to change this. Does he get something at the Oath Ceremony? Will he need to carry it with him rather than the GC until his Driver's License is changed and the FN is removed in case he was pulled over and he didn't have a GC with a FN on his license? Never thought of this before. Thanks! :goofy:

He will receive his Certificate of Naturalization. But he's not gonna carry it, so he will apply for passport. I will have my Oath Ceremony next week and I will apply for passport and passport card. Passport card is a proof of status we can easily carry on. :)

Good luck to him, I hope it goes fast and smooth.

Edited by Lisa and Phil

Caroline (Brazil) and Phil (USA)

yPnbm4.png

2003i9szfhw0aa.jpg

f2MWm5.png

View my Timeline

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

He will receive his Certificate of Naturalization. But he's not gonna carry it, so he will apply for passport. I will have my Oath Ceremony next week and I will apply for passport and passport card. Passport card is a proof of status we can easily carry on. :)

Good luck to him, I hope it goes fast and smooth.

:goofy: Thanks for the reply and BIG CONGRATS to you for next week!!!! :goofy:

K1 PROCESS:

04/08/05 . . . . Sent I-129F to TSC

08/31/05 . . . . London Interview - APPROVED

AOS PROCESS:

10/06/05 . . . . Sent AOS/EAD/AP to Chicago Lockbox

05/16/06 . . . . APPROVED.

REMOVING CONDITIONS PROCESS:

03/03/08 . . . . Sent I-751 packet to TSC.

02/27/09 . . . . APPROVED.

CITIZENSHIP PROCESS:

05/21/12 . . . . Sent N-400 packet to Dallas lockbox

09/11/12 . . . . Interview in Atlanta. Oath ceremony same day. Keith is a U.S. Citizen!

He has to turn in his GC at the oath ceremony. He will receive his certificate of citizenship which has his photo. Be sure to make copies of the certificate before you apply for his passport and/passcard because the original copy has to be submitted with the application.

Certificate of Citizenship is what you get at the oath, but it's pretty big and you cannot carry it with you all the time :no:

I do not carry a passport card with me. Just saying "I am a US citizen" is enough. Well, just in case, I have a scanned version, a PDF, of my certificate on my smartphone.

Edited by nwctzn

So...I guess you missed my reply about your evidence list in the other thread. :(

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

The USA, one country, 50 different states, 50 different laws. Mostly marriage, divorce, and the DMV. USA never had any form of citizen identification, no one is required to carry an ID to this effect. Arizona is the only state trying to start this, but so far, not very successfully.

If you are a resident of most any state, required to have a drivers' license for that state. Wife has an international drivers' license, but that is basically for tourist, once you become a resident of that state, should have a state drivers' license.

USCIS has a law, you must always carry your green card with you, but most law enforcement isn't even aware of this law, even at your DMV office meet people that never even heard of the USCIS. But to get that first drivers' license, do need some form of identification. For natural born citizens, typically a birth certificate, I only showed that once when I was 16 years old, even switching states, used my last state's drivers' license as the only form of photo identification.

Even for domestic air travel, require photo ID now, that is recent, had to get a photo state ID for my stepdaughter before she could take a domestic flight. Me, I like using my VA photo ID for air travel and other means of photo identification, like cashing a personal check. Have seen our DMV as the only source of proof that you are who you say you are is to bring in a totally worthless utility bill, the USCIS also picked on that worthless piece of identification.

Only time I am suppose to carry my drivers' license is when I am driving, more that likely, your state has the same law. After you turn in your green card, you don't need to carry any proof of citizenship, but for whatever strange reason, a drivers' license has become the de facto means of a photo identification. Our republicans are trying to pass a law to use your drivers' license to vote, but running into many problems with our state supreme court on this issue.

A lot has changed since 9/11 even though those terrorist came here legally and the Bush family were good friends with the Bin Laden family that started this big mess. And our 200 history with open borders with Canada were closed.

While since meeting my wife, made many good friends and have wonderful in-laws in Venezuela, But Bush and Chavez can't get along, so we have to pay a very dear price for that. Really makes you wonder about our leadership, a bunch of idiots in my experience. We are the hard working people of these countries, not some p9wer seeking nuts.

You only need a passport for international travel or even a card if you want to visit our very friendly neighbors to the north. Most Americans don't even have a passport, either no reason to visit other countries or can't afford to do so. Certainly don't need one for identification nor proof of US citizenship, no law states that. At least yet.

Certificate of Citizenship is what you get at the oath, but it's pretty big and you cannot carry it with you all the time :no:

I do not carry a passport card with me. Just saying "I am a US citizen" is enough. Well, just in case, I have a scanned version, a PDF, of my certificate on my smartphone.

Yep, there is no law requiring that you must carry proof of citizenship. I was worried about this too (even though I am white, British and therefore unlikely to be "profiled"), but you just state you are a US citizen. I don't think they are legally allowed to make you "prove" it, though some law enforcement officers might try and make out like they have the right to ask you and pressure you.

I would get a US passport, since as we started this journey as immigrants we are likely to want to visit friends and family in other countries so we will need something for that. You also need to take your naturalization certificate with you to update social security, so they can change your status to US Citizen, but I think that SS and the Department of State are the only people you will really need to prove your citizenship to. Possibly the DMV depending on your state.

If you really feel the need to carry some kind of proof (even though you are not required to do so), then I would either get a US passport card when applying for your passport or make a colour copy of your naturalization certificate and fold it up and carry in your wallet/purse? Personally I've decided just to carry my state ID.

Edited by HuffyTheSlayer

Timeline

That's true, I never heard of a Citizen having to prove their citizenship, but when I become one I will carry my passport card just in case, I have accent and if one day I need to show proof I will make my life and the life of the person who wants proof easier. :)

:goofy: Thanks for the reply and BIG CONGRATS to you for next week!!!! :goofy:

Thank you!!! I'm very happy. :D

yPnbm4.png

2003i9szfhw0aa.jpg

f2MWm5.png

View my Timeline

Filed: Timeline

We were told by the officiating official at the oath ceremony, that if you are stopped and asked to provide proof you are a US citizen, to say, "I am a US citizen, I don't have to prove anything." Make sure you get his/her badge number, and sue the ####### out of him/her and the department he/she works for.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Only place both my wife and stepdaughter were asked about US citizenship was for voters register, DMV form, job application forms, and at the university, was never asked about that for either grade nor high school. Banks and credit card companies only asked for your SS number.

Stepdaughter is 100% American in speaking English, wife has her very own unique accent that does give some questions and wild guesses. I love her accent, so does everyone else, hopes she never loses it.

We just returned from Arizona and I had my wife bring her Green Card just in case.She has no drivers license but our state issues a card that needs the same proof and looks just like a license. Accepted as ID at all airports so far. Foreign and domestic.

Only place both my wife and stepdaughter were asked about US citizenship was for voters register, DMV form, job application forms, and at the university, was never asked about that for either grade nor high school. Banks and credit card companies only asked for your SS number.

Stepdaughter is 100% American in speaking English, wife has her very own unique accent that does give some questions and wild guesses. I love her accent, so does everyone else, hopes she never loses it.

When I get asked where I got my accent from (which on the long run started to annoy me) I answer that it is from Wisconsin :rofl:

Unless the person is from Wisconsin or knows anybody from Wisconsin it's kinda fun.

Edited by nwctzn

Timeline

My husband also says he loves my accent, he says it's unique. I wanted so much to lose it before but I gave up. I know it's impossible. lol

yPnbm4.png

2003i9szfhw0aa.jpg

f2MWm5.png

View my Timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.