BigBong

K1 Just getting started

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

First post, I am a US citizen and have been engaged to a lovely Khmer women for about 8 months.

I have been staying in Cambodia for about 10 months, planning to return to USA in June. I will be unemployed when I return.

1. Should I wait until I have a steady job/income before I file the 129?

2. Is there a way to include my income in Cambodia on the 134 ? or if I have my sister/dad/etc co-sponsor is this not necessary?

As I was not in the US for 5 months of 2011 my income will not make the cut. And my 2012 income will not make the cut as well.

No assets outside of a tiny 401k.

Any advice or helpful hints would be awesome

First post, I am a US citizen and have been engaged to a lovely Khmer women for about 8 months.

I have been staying in Cambodia for about 10 months, planning to return to USA in June. I will be unemployed when I return.

1. Should I wait until I have a steady job/income before I file the 129?

2. Is there a way to include my income in Cambodia on the 134 ? or if I have my sister/dad/etc co-sponsor is this not necessary?

As I was not in the US for 5 months of 2011 my income will not make the cut. And my 2012 income will not make the cut as well.

No assets outside of a tiny 401k.

Any advice or helpful hints would be awesome

Did you include the income you earned in Cambodia on your income tax return for 2011? If not, you should have since as a US citizen, any income you earn on this planet is subject to US taxes. (It's why one of the Facebook founders recently denounced his citizenship, since he realized how much he'd be paying despite not physically living in the US.)

Please visit the IRS site to learn more:

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/international/article/0,,id=97324,00.html

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/article/0,,id=180946,00.html

You will likely have to file an amended return for 2011 that includes the income from Cambodia.

In addition to that, since you will be unemployed when you return to the US, it would be good to have a co-sponsor until you have a steady stream of income again.

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I'm pretty sure that Cambodia is part of the Southeast Asia "bubble of trouble" when it comes to joint sponsors for K visas. They usually won't accept them. Each consulate in that part of the world has it's own particular circumstances where they'll make an exception, but they don't often give you any clues as to what those exceptions might be. Having lived and worked in Cambodia is a definite step up in proving the bona fides of the relationship. It's a step down in proving the beneficiary won't become a public charge in the US.

You might want to consider getting married and filing a spousal visa petition. The consulate can't refuse a joint sponsor in that case.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Each consulate in that part of the world has it's own particular circumstances where they'll make an exception, but they don't often give you any clues as to what those exceptions might be.

Anyone know what circumstances may potentially help me in having the consulate accept a co-sponsor for my K1 application?

If I have my father co-sponsor will his age (64) matter to them?

Or should I have my sister (age 29) co-sponsor?

Similar incomes, father has considerably more assets.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Anyone know what circumstances may potentially help me in having the consulate accept a co-sponsor for my K1 application?

If I have my father co-sponsor will his age (64) matter to them?

Or should I have my sister (age 29) co-sponsor?

Similar incomes, father has considerably more assets.

Aside from Jim's advise, which was perfect to the T, you can go to the Regional forums and ask other people in Cambodia.

I suggest you report your own message and ask a moderator to move your post to that part of the forum.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

I wrote this last month for my friend since he only speaks and cannot write English. Look like you have no problem with co-sponsor.

Dear,

I am going to engage to a Cambodian lady. I have no income. I heard some U.S embassies requires petitioner to have his own income.

I want to know about U.S. Embassy Phnom Penh specifically. Is it possible for K-1 if I have co-sponsor ?

Regards,

xxxx

Dear xxxx,

In the case that you do not meet the financial requirement, the co-sponsor can be added. For more information relates to immigrant visa is available on USCIS website: www.uscis.gov

Regards,

Immigrant Visa Unit-Sa

U.S Embassy

#1, Street 96, Sangkat Wat Phnom

Khan Daun Penh, Phnom Penh

(+855) 23 728 000

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.