17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey there fellow VJers! Please forgive me for asking multiple questions in this post :hehe: My now husband came here on a K1 in January, and we married that same day. About a week later, we went to the DMV, and he was issued an Arkansas driver's license; however, it was only valid for 3 months. So that expired in April, and he obviously isn't driving now. We got notification this week that his EAD has been ordered, and we should have it in a few weeks. The problem is-how can he go to work if he can't drive? The lady at the DMV said he can't get a permanent license until he receives his GC! Is this true? My other question involves the USCIS website. When we enter his case number, we get the status update for the EAD. How, or can we, track the advance parole and the 485? Any advice is much appreciated :bonk:

[link=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[image noborder]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10722;104/st/20110610/e/NOA+1/dt/-1/k/39bf/event.png[/image]

[/link]

Odd. The DMV here gave me a temporary license - they had it expire when my EAD expires. I suggest, when the EAD comes, to go back to the DMV.

It varies by state. Some states will give another temp license that expires when the EAD expires so you can check into that. Otherwise, he will have to wait.

You should have NOAs with different numbers for each application that you can use to track. If they just aren't showing up its because USCIS's computer system is glitchy sometimes. Our 485 took 3 months to show up online.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Timeline

Odd. The DMV here gave me a temporary license - they had it expire when my EAD expires. I suggest, when the EAD comes, to go back to the DMV.

Thanks for the fast response-that is exactly what we'll do! :thumbs:

[image noborder]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10722;104/st/20110610/e/NOA+1/dt/-1/k/39bf/event.png[/image]

[/link]

Timeline

It varies by state. Some states will give another temp license that expires when the EAD expires so you can check into that. Otherwise, he will have to wait.

You should have NOAs with different numbers for each application that you can use to track. If they just aren't showing up its because USCIS's computer system is glitchy sometimes. Our 485 took 3 months to show up online.

I feel like a complete dork! I didn't even pay attention to the fact that we had 3 separate numbers :bonk: But, thanks to you, I just checked the website and got some great updates!!! :dance:

[/link]

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

It depends on your state and who you deal with at the DMV. They wouldn't issue me a learners permit without the approval notice for my GC. The lady at the DMV was adamant that a work permit wasn't enough. It is very difficult to get around here without a car too, he must be getting cabin fever! Hopefully the DMV will accept his EAD, if not maybe he can get the bus?

Edited by rocks

Hey there fellow VJers! Please forgive me for asking multiple questions in this post :hehe: My now husband came here on a K1 in January, and we married that same day. About a week later, we went to the DMV, and he was issued an Arkansas driver's license; however, it was only valid for 3 months. So that expired in April, and he obviously isn't driving now. We got notification this week that his EAD has been ordered, and we should have it in a few weeks. The problem is-how can he go to work if he can't drive? The lady at the DMV said he can't get a permanent license until he receives his GC! Is this true? My other question involves the USCIS website. When we enter his case number, we get the status update for the EAD. How, or can we, track the advance parole and the 485? Any advice is much appreciated :bonk:

Wait... How is your husband working without an EAD?

She didn't say that he was, I don't think. I think she meant that he was receiving approval to work, but how could he work without being able to drive?

Timeline

It depends on your state and who you deal with at the DMV. They wouldn't issue me a learners permit without the approval notice for my GC. The lady at the DMV was adamant that a work permit wasn't enough. It is very difficult to get around here without a car too, he must be getting cabin fever! Hopefully the DMV will accept his EAD, if not maybe he can get the bus?

Unfortunately, our town is too small for public transit :wacko:

Oh, he's not working yet, we're just thinking ahead.

She didn't say that he was, I don't think. I think she meant that he was receiving approval to work, but how could he work without being able to drive?

Exactly :yes:

[/link]

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

With the dmv and driver license do they accept it when he shows his ssn and the I-797 form. That shows he applied for the green card.and that he has a permant address in the states. like the lease for your apartment or house where he is on it as well. Maybe they could accept that.hope it all works out.

Visa Journey:

K1:

Service Center: Vermont Service Center

Consulate: Frankfurt, Germany

I-129F Sent: 10-13-2010

I-129F NOA1: 10-18-2010

I-129F NOA2: 04-05-2011

Consulate Received: 04-15-2011

Packet 3 Received: 04-29-2011

Packet 3 Sent: 04-30-2011

Packet 4 Received: 05-07-2011

Interview Date: 06-07-2011

Interview Result: Visa was on hold

Second Interview: Approved

Visa Received: 01-20-2012

ENTRY: 02-12-2012

Married: 03-26-2012

AOS 04-19-2012

Email notification 04-26-2012

NOA1 send : 04-24-2012

Biometric send: 04-27-2012

Biometric appt: 05-18-2012

AOS transfer to CSC: 05-24-2012

EAD/AD approved&send: 06-22-2012

EAD/AD arrived: 06-28-2012

e4nrdek1wws.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

With the dmv and driver license do they accept it when he shows his ssn and the I-797 form. That shows he applied for the green card.and that he has a permant address in the states. like the lease for your apartment or house where he is on it as well. Maybe they could accept that.hope it all works out.

Most states require some proof of lawful presence before they'll issue a license or identification card. The type of proof they'll accept varies from one state to another.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

They accepted my NOA2 at the DMV, that might save him a few extra weeks of waiting at least.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

I had the same problem at the DMV in Tennessee. They didn't want to accept the EAD because it's only valid for a certain time.. That's what the lady there told me. I went there yesterday with my GC and got my learner's permit.

As the others said, it really depends on the state you're living in.

AOS based on K1:

11.10.11 wedding

16.11.11 filed for AOS

18.11.11 NOA1

12.12.11 case transferred to CSC

17.01.12 I131 got approved

20.01.12 biometrics

20.01.12 EAD/AP combo card in production

28.01.12 received EAD/AP in mail

11.05.12 GC approved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I got my drivers license in Virginia and I got it for 1 year. All I had to show them was my unexpired I94, my passport, marriage license, bank statement and my unexpired Ontario, Canada drivers license. When I get my green card I will go back and get my license for a longer period of time.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.