pixeldawn

B2 Visa denied, reapplying

30 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I'm just hoping that I can show them all of my documentation (which was never seen the first time around) to prove that I do indeed have every intention of coming back to London to my job.

Would it help if I don't mention I have a friend in the US and just tell them that I'm going as a tourist to do this tour?

Everything you said initially was recorded, you have to stick with your original words - just modify it and pray.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thanks everyone - I really appreciate your help.

I know that my chances of being approved are next to nil and I should probably not change my story but just try to deflect the focus of my visit more towards the tour rather than 'visiting' my friend.

Filed: Timeline

Thanks everyone - I really appreciate your help.

I know that my chances of being approved are next to nil and I should probably not change my story but just try to deflect the focus of my visit more towards the tour rather than 'visiting' my friend.

Once again.....the reasons for GOING to the US are relatively unimportant...what matters to the VOs are the reasons for LEAVING the US (and not engaging in unauthorized employment)...trying to change the apparent focus of the proposed visit (and then trying to hide the fact that you know somebody in the US, as mentioned in your first application) will only reinforce the VOs belief in your desperation to reach our shores.

Reapplying for B2 3 days after denial is just a waste of your visa fee money.

Oh I don't know about that. My then friend--now wife--applied for a tourist visa with an invitation letter from me, employment letter, apartment deed and all that and was refused. She applied a few days later after a friend of ours contacted their congressman and she wrote the Consulate a letter explaining about my friend's trip. She was interviewed the first time by a very young woman and the second time by an older gentleman. She was approved the second time and every time since. It just so happens my MIL was interviewed by the same gentleman and was approved for a tourist visa for this summer. It really has a lot to do on how the person interviewing you feels whether you will leave the US or not and very little to do with the documentation, IMHO.

Just rememebr that every denial is lost money.

Dave

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Oh I don't know about that. My then friend--now wife--applied for a tourist visa with an invitation letter from me, employment letter, apartment deed and all that and was refused. She applied a few days later after a friend of ours contacted their congressman and she wrote the Consulate a letter explaining about my friend's trip. She was interviewed the first time by a very young woman and the second time by an older gentleman. She was approved the second time and every time since. It just so happens my MIL was interviewed by the same gentleman and was approved for a tourist visa for this summer. It really has a lot to do on how the person interviewing you feels whether you will leave the US or not and very little to do with the documentation, IMHO.

Just rememebr that every denial is lost money.

Dave

Its a myth that congressman can reverse the denial of the tourist visa. They have no influence over the visa process whatsoever.

Congressman can only question the immigrant petition where a spouse or family member of USC is involved.

Anyone remember Govt 101....you know, when the teacher drew three circles on the board and labeled them...'Executive Legislative Judicial'???? And as I recall, the key element in our form of government is that NONE of the three branches of govt can tell another what to do. Congress is in the legislative branch; the VOs in the executive branch; ergo, a congressman cannot reverse nor influence any visa decision....period.

Noah offering bad advice once again. Letter's from Senators or Congressmen are considered. Here is proof:

Will it help my application if I present a letter from my relative's U.S. Congressman or Senator?

Such letters will be considered. However, evaluation of the application will be made in accordance with Section 214(b) of the United States Immigration and Nationality Act. Visa applications are adjudicated based on individual merits, consistent with criteria specified in the Immigration Act, as amended, and the Federal regulations issued pursuant to it. Consular officers are required to deny visas to applicants who cannot qualify under the law, and to issue visas to those applicants who do qualify. Consular officers cannot issue visas based on the assurances of family members, friends or interested third parties.

http://manila.usembassy.gov/niv-faq.html

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You forgot the However.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Noah offering bad advice once again. Letter's from Senators or Congressmen are considered. Here is proof:

Will it help my application if I present a letter from my relative's U.S. Congressman or Senator?

Such letters will be considered. However, evaluation of the application will be made in accordance with Section 214(b) of the United States Immigration and Nationality Act. Visa applications are adjudicated based on individual merits, consistent with criteria specified in the Immigration Act, as amended, and the Federal regulations issued pursuant to it. Consular officers are required to deny visas to applicants who cannot qualify under the law, and to issue visas to those applicants who do qualify. Consular officers cannot issue visas based on the assurances of family members, friends or interested third parties.

http://manila.usembassy.gov/niv-faq.html

Did that statement say that a letter from a congressman FORCES a VO to change their decision? (no)...did the statement say that if an applicant presents such a letter that they are automatically issued a visa? (no)....so my view stands...letters from congressmen cannot 'work magic' on a VO's decision....the process is (and is supposed to be) free from outside influence...at the consulate in which I worked some years ago, any applicant presenting such a letter was refused 98% of the time...why? because the presumption was that their case must be bad or else whyu all the baloney from some congressman who does not even know the applicant? All the VOs are required to do upon receipt of a congressional inquiry is answer the inquiry within three days....that's all.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

He's right.

I received a response from my Senator (Barbara Boxer, California)

and near the end of the letter it states:

"The Senator's office cannot persuade an agency to reach a favorable outcome."

I-130

2011-08-20 Posted

2011-08-31 NOA1

2011-09-03 Touch

2011-11-18 Sent Expedite Request to USCIS

2011-12-09 Response Received for Exepedite Request

"Wait your turn" in a nutshell

2011-12-02 Sent Expedite Request to US Representative Ed Royce

2012-01-27 Sent Expedite Request to Immigration Ombudsman

2012-02-02 Sent Expedite Request to Senator Barbara Boxer

2012-02-02 Sent Expedite Request to Senator Dianne Feinstein

2012-03-08 Case transferred to field office for additional processing

2012-03-23 Now being processed at a USCIS office

2012-05-10 Transferred to another office for processing

2012-05-14 Now being processed at a USCIS office

2012-06-05 Approved NOA2

2012-07-17 NVC Case/Invoice # Received

Petitioner: US Born Citizen (Wife)

Beneficiary: British Born Citizen (Husband)

Your I-130 was approved in 279 days from your NOA1 date

He's right.

I received a response from my Senator (Barbara Boxer, California)

and near the end of the letter it states:

"The Senator's office cannot persuade an agency to reach a favorable outcome."

It is that simple....no doubt there are some consular managers who might be afraid to turn down an applicant who is waving some letter from a congressman, but at the end of the day a congressman cannot legally influence a VO's decision...most of the time the letter is nothing more than a reiteration of what the constituent told them, which means what? Nothing. The congressional letter will be filled with boilerplate language that at first glance looks like it's meaningful, but upon closer inspection it's a bunch of window dressing, often closed with...'we respectfully request that you give (applicant's name) every consideration consistent with U.S. laws...'....whoop dee doo.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.