21 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Armenia
Timeline

My mother will be co-sponsoring my spouse. She will submit I-864A since we live in the same house. The I-864A requires that we proof that we live in the same household and our relationship.

To prove that we live in the same household, I plan to submit a copy of a utility bill. Will that be sufficient?

To prove our relationship, I was thinking of submitting a copy of my foreign birth certificate. Now, I have lost my birth certificate (can't apply for new one) and I only have a notarized photo copy. Will the notarized copy be OK?

I understand that I need to have it translated by a certified translator and notarized, which I will do if I have to. I am wondering, could you think of another way of proving our relationship?

thank you

kg

USCIS:
January 26, 2010 - got married
March 8, 2012 - became US citizen
April 16, 2012 - sent I-130 package
April 21, 2012 - NOA 1
Oct 2, 2012 - NOA 2

NVC:
Oct 10, 2012 - Received NVC case number and INN (by e-mail)
Oct 10, 2012 - Received AOS fee invoice (by e-mail)
Oct 11, 2012 - Sent DS-3032 (by e-mail)
Oct 12, 2012 - Paid AOS fee online
Oct 16, 2012 - Accepted DS-3032
Oct 18, 2012 - IV bill generated
Oct 18, 2012 - Paid IV fee online
Oct 22, 2012 - Mailed AOS package
Oct 22, 2012 - Mailed IV package
Nov 8, 2012 - Case complete at NVC (notified by phone)

Consulate:

Jan 29, 2013 - Visa interview

Apr 10, 2013 - Visa issued

Apr 24, 2013 - POE (JFK)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

If your consulate allows for electronic filing of forms and documents I would suggest that option. our case was 100% electronic, I didn't mail anything to the NVC, it was all done thru email.Just make sure you are able to prove that you yourself are domiciled in the US, or show proof that you intend to be domiciled in the US before your husband is issued his visa. Good luck kicking.gif

If your consulate allows for electronic filing of forms and documents I would suggest that option. our case was 100% electronic, I didn't mail anything to the NVC, it was all done thru email.Just make sure you are able to prove that you yourself are domiciled in the US, or show proof that you intend to be domiciled in the US before your husband is issued his visa. Good luck kicking.gif

and to add to that, the day of your husband's interview he will have to bring all original forms and documents with him to the consulate.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

A notarized birth certificate means nothing- sorry to inform you. Notaries only confirm a signature not the contents of the form. It needs to be certified. I assume you are a LPR? If so was your mother the one who sponsored you? There must of been some type of documentation you can show from that that shows your relationship. This is from the I-864a instructions: "A relative or other person whom the sponsor has lawfully

claimed as a dependent on the sponsor's most recent Federal income tax return even if that person does not live at the same residence as the sponsor"

For living in the same residence, your state ID/licence works great- both photo and shows address. Utility bill would have to show both names.

Timeline

A notarized birth certificate means nothing- sorry to inform you. Notaries only confirm a signature not the contents of the form. It needs to be certified. I assume you are a LPR? If so was your mother the one who sponsored you? There must of been some type of documentation you can show from that that shows your relationship. This is from the I-864a instructions: "A relative or other person whom the sponsor has lawfully

claimed as a dependent on the sponsor's most recent Federal income tax return even if that person does not live at the same residence as the sponsor"

For living in the same residence, your state ID/licence works great- both photo and shows address. Utility bill would have to show both names.

Thank you for the reply.

I am actually a naturalized US citizen and I have petitioned for my spouse (I-130). Furthermore, my mother has not sponsored me to receive a green card.

As I said, I only have a notarized copy of my birth certificate, which is in Russian. The stamp from the notary states that "the copy matches the original document", which means that the notary certifies that the copy is an exact copy of my original birth certificate. Can't I have the copy translated by a certified translator and have it notarized per requirements of the USCIS? I have hard time believing that that document is of no use. I can't think of any documents that can show that she is my mother. DNA testing, perhaps? :)

To prove that my mother and I live in the same household, I think I can submit a copy of my driver's license and a utility bill that will show my mother's name and her residence address. Don't you think that that will be sufficient?

thanks

USCIS:
April 21, 2012 - NOA 1
Oct 2, 2012 - NOA 2

NVC:

Consulate:

Apr 24, 2013 - POE (JFK)

Timeline

Thank you for the reply.

I am actually a naturalized US citizen and I have petitioned for my spouse (I-130). Furthermore, my mother has not sponsored me to receive a green card.

As I said, I only have a notarized copy of my birth certificate, which is in Russian. The stamp from the notary states that "the copy matches the original document", which means that the notary certifies that the copy is an exact copy of my original birth certificate. Can't I have the copy translated by a certified translator and have it notarized per requirements of the USCIS? I have hard time believing that that document is of no use. I can't think of any documents that can show that she is my mother. DNA testing, perhaps? :)

To prove that my mother and I live in the same household, I think I can submit a copy of my driver's license and a utility bill that will show my mother's name and her residence address. Don't you think that that will be sufficient?

thanks

Okay- just some thoughts at first, didn't know the whole situation, trying to think outside the box of where information may lay.

A notary can not certify a document. Especially in USCIS's eyes. You are more then welcome to try. But just giving you the information. Does your naturalization certificate list parents?

Why is it that you can not get a certified copy. I understand its from overseas but there must be sometype of option? email? fax? your request.

Do you have papers from childhood- like doctor's visits, school records that span the years showing your mom? I would say DNA would work- just seems expensive, but you could certainly do that. Did your mom claim you as a dependent on her last federal taxes? because the I-864a lists that as a reason to show household member.

Good luck!!!

Timeline

Thank you for the reply.

thanks

I wonder if social security can provide anything from when you first got your SSN?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

OP, since your mom is going to be a joint sponsor, she should just complete an I-864 that will go with the I-864 you are submitting. With your mom completing an I-864 as a joint sponsor, you don't have to go to any trouble to prove you live in the same household. Furthermore, when your mom would fill out the "household size" on her I-864, she would NOT include you in her household count.

Edited by Ryan H

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

Okay- just some thoughts at first, didn't know the whole situation, trying to think outside the box of where information may lay.

A notary can not certify a document. Especially in USCIS's eyes. You are more then welcome to try. But just giving you the information. Does your naturalization certificate list parents?

Why is it that you can not get a certified copy. I understand its from overseas but there must be sometype of option? email? fax? your request.

Do you have papers from childhood- like doctor's visits, school records that span the years showing your mom? I would say DNA would work- just seems expensive, but you could certainly do that. Did your mom claim you as a dependent on her last federal taxes? because the I-864a lists that as a reason to show household member.

Good luck!!!

Thank you for the replies. Without going into details, there is absolutely no way to get anything from the country where I was born. Also, my mom didn't claim me as a dependent on her tax returns, so that is out as well. I will keep thinking and will consider other options.

No the issue with certified copies of documents brings up a good point. I know that later on we will need to submit an original or a certified copy of birth certificate of my spouse. Obviously, origninal will not be mailed in and we need to submit a translated certified copy. Now, how do you take the original birth certificate and make it certified if a notary can't do it?

thanks

USCIS:
April 21, 2012 - NOA 1
Oct 2, 2012 - NOA 2

NVC:

Consulate:

Apr 24, 2013 - POE (JFK)

Timeline

OP, since your mom is going to be a joint sponsor, she should just complete an I-864 that will go with the I-864. With your mom completing an I-864 as a joint sponsor, you don't have to go to any trouble to prove you live in the same household. Furthermore, when your mom would fill out the "household size" on her I-864, she would NOT include you in her household count.

Thank you for the reply. This is actually good option. As I understand, my mother and I will be sponsoring jointly and a joint sponsor can do partial sponsorship, correct? Would she send the tax transcripts, paycheck stubs, etc. just like what I will be submitting for myself?

One thing is also not clear. Besides me, there are other people in the household (i.e. my father, sister). Would she include them in her household size (with exception of me)? Would she then be required to show the combined household income (her's, father's, sister's) along with their tax transcripts, etc?

Thank you

USCIS:
April 21, 2012 - NOA 1
Oct 2, 2012 - NOA 2

NVC:

Consulate:

Apr 24, 2013 - POE (JFK)

Timeline

Would she send the tax transcripts, paycheck stubs, etc. just like what I will be submitting for myself?

Yes

One thing is also not clear. Besides me, there are other people in the household (i.e. my father, sister). Would she include them in her household size (with exception of me)? Would she then be required to show the combined household income (her's, father's, sister's) along with their tax transcripts, etc?

Your father would be included in her household size. Do they claim your sister as a dependent? If so, then your sister would have to be included in the household size as well.

If your mom can meet the threshold on her own without the need to combine income, then she would submit copies of her tax return with her W2 as that will show it is only her income. There is no requirement for her to combine income for sponsorship if she meets the threshold on her own, that doesn't mean she can't choose to do so. If she combines income with your father (by choice or by necessity), then your father would need to complete an I-864A.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

Thank you for the replies. Without going into details, there is absolutely no way to get anything from the country where I was born. Also, my mom didn't claim me as a dependent on her tax returns, so that is out as well. I will keep thinking and will consider other options.

No the issue with certified copies of documents brings up a good point. I know that later on we will need to submit an original or a certified copy of birth certificate of my spouse. Obviously, origninal will not be mailed in and we need to submit a translated certified copy. Now, how do you take the original birth certificate and make it certified if a notary can't do it?

thanks

Have your wife request copies while she is still at 'home'. Translated is different then certified. Its a good thing to have (as you see) multiple originals for later processes. I made sure my now husband got them before coming.

Please review the guide. The certified copy of beni. is no longer needed to be sent in for CR-1.... depending on the embassy will depend if its sent or not. Check with recent interviews on this....

The original will be presented at interview- so it will stay in her hands. But it will need to be translated. Someone local can help you out on that aspect.

Timeline

Yes

Your father would be included in her household size. Do they claim your sister as a dependent? If so, then your sister would have to be included in the household size as well.

If your mom can meet the threshold on her own without the need to combine income, then she would submit copies of her tax return with her W2 as that will show it is only her income. There is no requirement for her to combine income for sponsorship if she meets the threshold on her own, that doesn't mean she can't choose to do so. If she combines income with your father (by choice or by necessity), then your father would need to complete an I-864A.

Thank you.

My parents did not claim my sister as dependent. Having said that, her household size would be 2 (father+mather-me-my sister), and as I recall correctly, her 2011 gross income meets the required threshold for a household of 2.

I know that submitting income related docs for the 2nd and the 3rd recent years is optional, which means that she only needs to meet the threshold for the most recent tax year (2011), correct?

If say, her gross income from the 2nd and the 3rd recent years were below the threshold, is there any point of submitting docs for those years as supporting docs?

Just curious, does the USCIS pay particular attention to how much is the gross income above the required threshold? Or that has no bearing on the case, so long it is over the threshold?

Thank you

USCIS:
April 21, 2012 - NOA 1
Oct 2, 2012 - NOA 2

NVC:

Consulate:

Apr 24, 2013 - POE (JFK)

Timeline

Have your wife request copies while she is still at 'home'. Translated is different then certified. Its a good thing to have (as you see) multiple originals for later processes. I made sure my now husband got them before coming.

Please review the guide. The certified copy of beni. is no longer needed to be sent in for CR-1.... depending on the embassy will depend if its sent or not. Check with recent interviews on this....

The original will be presented at interview- so it will stay in her hands. But it will need to be translated. Someone local can help you out on that aspect.

Thanks again.

I pulled this from the www.state.gov:

"You and each family member immigrating with you must also submit to the NVC a photocopy of the original documents or certified copies of the documents."

"All documents not written in English, or in the official language of the country in which application for a visa is being made, must be accompanied by certified translations and submitted to the NVC. The translation must include a statement signed by the translator stating that the:

Translation is accurate, and

Translator is competent to translate."

This to me means that, a certified translation of his birth certificate along with a photocopy of the original is all that is needed to be submitted to NVC. And my husband brings the original with him to the interview, correct? Nevertheless, I will check per your suggestion.

thanks

USCIS:
April 21, 2012 - NOA 1
Oct 2, 2012 - NOA 2

NVC:

Consulate:

Apr 24, 2013 - POE (JFK)

Timeline

Thanks again.

I pulled this from the www.state.gov:

"You and each family member immigrating with you must also submit to the NVC a photocopy of the original documents or certified copies of the documents."

"All documents not written in English, or in the official language of the country in which application for a visa is being made, must be accompanied by certified translations and submitted to the NVC. The translation must include a statement signed by the translator stating that the:

Translation is accurate, and

Translator is competent to translate."

This to me means that, a certified translation of his birth certificate along with a photocopy of the original is all that is needed to be submitted to NVC. And my husband brings the original with him to the interview, correct? Nevertheless, I will check per your suggestion.

thanks

Thats what it sounds like- Just know notary does not mean certified. I would see where others from Armenia have gone for translation. so you will be good to go.

Good luck!

Timeline

My parents did not claim my sister as dependent. Having said that, her household size would be 2 (father+mather-me-my sister), and as I recall correctly, her 2011 gross income meets the required threshold for a household of 2.

When your mom completes an I-864 as a joint sponsor, her household size is 3; her, your father, and the intending immigrant. She would not count you or your sister. In that same vein, your household count is 2, your and your spouse, your parents and your sister would not count.

Just curious, does the USCIS pay particular attention to how much is the gross income above the required threshold? Or that has no bearing on the case, so long it is over the threshold?

USCIS isn't involved at this point. An I-864 is submitted to the NVC and they will do a quick review to ensure required documents have been submitted. It is a CO at the Embassy who will make the decision on whether or not the beneficiary is likely to become a public charge.

Our journey:

Spoiler

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.