juststartingout

I'm a disabled USC. Questions about sponsorship.

51 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I'm a disabled USC, although you cannot tell by looking at me. My boyfriend is here on an F1 visa and has been here for a year. We have started discussing the possibility of marriage.

1. We will need a co-sponsor and we have a willing, qualified mutual friend. As the USC, will they ask me specifics about my disability during the interview process? Do they gather that information from Social Security? (I'm on SSDI (insurance...not means-tested...)) I am used to my ADA rights regarding having to talk about my illness, but I realize that this is a special case and I might not have the same rights. I really would like to know what to expect from this.

2. We also have an age difference (20 years...I'm older), which I have read a lot about on these forums. However, we have known eachother for 2 years and have lived together for 8 months. Documentaton of a real relationship is easy and extensive, and we aren't even married yet. We are actually in similar "stages" in life...both have the same undergrad degree...both in graduate school currently. Look the same age...he looks 10 years older...I look 10 years younger. No one even notices us when we are out due to this.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Your disability ought not be an issue. Your bf is here legally. You met, built a relationship, and now want to marry. A quite normal scenario. You've got a joint sponsor to satisfy that requirement. And you state that you can show a bona fide relationship.

Things look pretty straight forward.

Best of luck.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Will I need to go into specifics of my disability with the officer? As I said, I am used to my rights under the Americans with Disabilities Act, but I do not know if my rights extend to his situation. Obviously, my boyfriend knows all about me, but I am used to being selective with this personal information.

It also crossed my mind that my illness coupled with the age difference might make the officer question why my boyfriend would want to be with me. (Which is rediculous in our minds, but I can see where an outsider might question it?)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm not sure the officer would have any reason to know about your disability. If you're not the sponsor, therefore your source of income isn't mentioned, I can't think of any other form that would require you to state you're on SSDI. Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't think of anything.

I would think that inquiring about your disability could be deemed discrimination - and no one wants to be accused of that. I might be way off, but I can't see an officer risking it.

My guess (and it's only a guess) would be that the age difference would raise more of a red flag than your disability.

Edited by SterlingDandT

AOS

5/16/2012 - Package delivered to Chicago Lockbox at 1:33pm

5/21/2012 - Email/text notifications received at 4:50 p.m.

5/26/2012 - NOA hard copies received for I-130, I-485 and I-765

6/19/2012 - Biometrics completed.

7/02/2012 - Text/email/hard copy notification of interview.

7/30/2012 - EAD card production ordered.

8/02/2012 - Interview @ 2:00

8/02/2012 - Email notification of GC production at 5:30pm

8/07/2012 - Second GC production email

8/07/2012 - EAD received.

8/08/2012 - GC mailed.

8/09/2012 - Welcome letter and I-130 approval letter received.

8/10/2012 - Green card received. :)

I'm not sure the officer would have any reason to know about your disability. If you're not the sponsor, therefore your source of income isn't mentioned, I can't think of any other form that would require you to state you're on SSDI. Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't think of anything.

I would think that inquiring about your disability could be deemed discrimination - and no one wants to be accused of that. I might be way off, but I can't see an officer risking it.

My guess (and it's only a guess) would be that the age difference would raise more of a red flag than your disability.

My understanding is that I must submit a sponsorship form even if I am not financially qualified. I will have to list sources of income and provide a tax return. And, I agree that the age difference is a potential red flag on paper, but we are convinced that when the officer sees us together, their flag will disappear. It has with all of our friends and family who know our ages and see the way we interact and "fit". People who don't know our ages have assumed we are maybe 3 years apart based on behavior and appearance (in other words, they can't tell...).

Edited by juststartingout

Timeline

Maybe you're right, I sponsored my husband so I had to submit my tax return anyway.

Even so, questioning someone about a disability is dangerous territory. I realize that immigration officers must have more freedom (and less fear of getting sued) than the rest of us, but I would think they'd find other things to question you on instead.

To be clear, in saying that my guess is that your age difference would raise a red flag, I wasn't trying to say that I personally thought it was a problem. Just an area that I would expect you to be questioned on.

I'm 9 years older than my husband, and fully expect it's going to be questioned. :(

AOS

8/08/2012 - GC mailed.

What country is he from? How did you meet originally? It is a common scam, from some parts of the world, to woo an older woman for marriage for a Greencard, then leave when the immigration benefits are received.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

What country is he from? How did you meet originally? It is a common scam, from some parts of the world, to woo an older woman for marriage for a Greencard, then leave when the immigration benefits are received.

He is from Jordan. We met because I know his family. I used to date a man (the man i dated is a us resident) who was best friends with his brother. His brother introduced us. I've known the brother for about 5 years and my boyfriend for about 2. I've been to his country a few times. The first time we met in person, he actually had a different girlfriend (local) and obviously we were just friends. I've been to his family's home multiple times and we have many mutual friends in his home city. I know you mean well, but I'm not naive nor desperate in the least and this relationship developed unexpectedly for both of us. He's here legally for education and chose my city due to the relationship with his family. They felt comfortable with him coming to a place where he knew someone.

I hope you haven't assumed that your disability income wouldn't count towards his sponsorship.

If it is sufficient to put you as a couple over 125 percent of the US Poverty Guideline, then you don't need a joint sponsor.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

I have joint custody of two minor children. Thus, the household size is 4, and even with the child support added to the disability, it is still technically under poverty. (Ah, the life of a student...)

I am in graduate school for two more years. Treatment for my disability has improved drastically over the past decade, and my doctor expects I will be fit for work by the time I graduate. I attend a top-10 business school (MBA) where the average salary after graduation will definitely put money issues firmly in the past. Also, he has an undergraduate degree and is pursuing graduate studies also. His income should be respectable, too. But, for now, it is what it is.

I have joint custody of two minor children. Thus, the household size is 4, and even with the child support added to the disability, it is still technically under poverty. (Ah, the life of a student...)

I am in graduate school for two more years. Treatment for my disability has improved drastically over the past decade, and my doctor expects I will be fit for work by the time I graduate. I attend a top-10 business school (MBA) where the average salary after graduation will definitely put money issues firmly in the past. Also, he has an undergraduate degree and is pursuing graduate studies also. His income should be respectable, too. But, for now, it is what it is.

Ah I see.

Just didn't want you to think that your disability income wasn't a qualifying asset.

Sounds like a promising future for you. I wish you the best.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Filed: Other Timeline

Maybe you're right, I sponsored my husband so I had to submit my tax return anyway.

Even so, questioning someone about a disability is dangerous territory. I realize that immigration officers must have more freedom (and less fear of getting sued) than the rest of us, but I would think they'd find other things to question you on instead.

To be clear, in saying that my guess is that your age difference would raise a red flag, I wasn't trying to say that I personally thought it was a problem. Just an area that I would expect you to be questioned on.

I'm 9 years older than my husband, and fully expect it's going to be questioned. :(

can u share what was asked about the age difference, if u may? tnx

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Good that you do not have to go through Consular Processing.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

can u share what was asked about the age difference, if u may? tnx

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that I had already been questioned. We haven't gone to our interview yet. I just know that it is considered a red flag and I'm prepared to have it questioned.

AOS

8/08/2012 - GC mailed.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.