~bambie~

mother's medical condition

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello everyone! A friend of mine who is a long time VJ member recommend this site and I am very glad to know that there are some people here that is indeed willing to help, gives brilliant idea, and share information about immigration issues. Kudos to all who made this site possible!

I am currently petitioning my parents. I petitioned them last week. While waiting for the progress, I am now gathering and preparing some documents that we needed for the next steps.

I have a question regarding my mother's physical/medical condition. Back in middle 80's my mother had a minor jeepney accident that caused her a back problems, and deformity of her spinal cord. When the accident happened, she didn't feel any serious pains. She just described it like she had a bicycle accident having minor aches and scratches. As time goes by, she noticed that her lower back starting to hurt and it grows a little bit like a tumor. My mother ignored it and didn't go to a doctor for a proper check up and that time they don't have enough money to pay the doctor and the hospital. Right now, it's getting bigger. I'm attaching my mother's picture on my signature.

My concerned now is, what would be the possible problems that we might encounter during her medical? Do you think it will be a ground for denial? I read an article about a woman that have a cancer, and the consul ask them to find an insurance that will cover her medical bills to make sure she won't be a public charge. If this will happen to my mother's case do you have any idea if the insurance company will insure my mother even if my mother is still in the Philippines? Please share your thoughts, opinions or if you have similar experience. Thank you in advance.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Will she be getting a job in the US that provides Insurance?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

If she is getting a job that provides Insurance then that negates the Public Charge issue.

If she is not, what will she be doing?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

If she is getting a job that provides Insurance then that negates the Public Charge issue.

If she is not, what will she be doing?

Yes she can apply for a job, but my main corncern right now if her current condition will be a ground for visa denial. And also, if the consul will ask her to get a medical insurance first before they will approve her visa, then where I can buy a medical insurance for her ?

Timeline

Medical Insurance and its availability, costs etc varies by State.

Speak to your local broker.

Timeline

Probably not, occasionally you see medical refusals but they seem very rare.

Filed: Timeline

Much of the eventual decision will hinge on what is discovered during her upcoming medical exam....if her current condition might require some expensive care, somebody (you) will be asked to prove that you can (and will) cover those costs, unless you can find an insurance company that will cover this obvious pre existing condition.

Timeline

Much of the eventual decision will hinge on what is discovered during her upcoming medical exam....if her current condition might require some expensive care, somebody (you) will be asked to prove that you can (and will) cover those costs, unless you can find an insurance company that will cover this obvious pre existing condition.

Thank you Noah Lot! That's my worried if it will happen. I don't know if there is an insurance company that will insure her.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

She won't be denied on medical grounds for that. They're only concerned about communicable diseases that pose a public health risk. There is a very specific list of the type of diseases they would deny for. Spinal deformity isn't one of them.

I seriously doubt it would result in a denial on the public charge grounds. She's had the injury for over 20 years. However, if it's getting worse then it's a safe bet that some sort of treatment is going to be needed eventually. I'm really not sure what's going on there. I don't think it's something simple like a herniated disc since those rarely produce a bump like that unless an abscess has formed, and abscesses usually don't form callouses like that. She might have fractured a vertebrae or two.

If you can afford the medical insurance premiums in the US then it's a safe bet you can afford to send her to a doctor in the Philippines to get that checked out. Sooner is better than later when dealing with spinal problems. Waiting can sometimes result in paralysis.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

She won't be denied on medical grounds for that. They're only concerned about communicable diseases that pose a public health risk. There is a very specific list of the type of diseases they would deny for. Spinal deformity isn't one of them.

I seriously doubt it would result in a denial on the public charge grounds. She's had the injury for over 20 years. However, if it's getting worse then it's a safe bet that some sort of treatment is going to be needed eventually. I'm really not sure what's going on there. I don't think it's something simple like a herniated disc since those rarely produce a bump like that unless an abscess has formed, and abscesses usually don't form callouses like that. She might have fractured a vertebrae or two.

If you can afford the medical insurance premiums in the US then it's a safe bet you can afford to send her to a doctor in the Philippines to get that checked out. Sooner is better than later when dealing with spinal problems. Waiting can sometimes result in paralysis.

Jim is right. If there would be any issue it would be public charge but I doubt this will show on the medical report, since it isn't anything the doctors are concerned about for their report. Sounds to me like this is just something you want to have checked out, not any kind of urgent medical concern. As such, I would not worry about its impact on the visa.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Jim is right. If there would be any issue it would be public charge but I doubt this will show on the medical report, since it isn't anything the doctors are concerned about for their report. Sounds to me like this is just something you want to have checked out, not any kind of urgent medical concern. As such, I would not worry about its impact on the visa.

Jim and Pushbrk, thank you for your clear inputs.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.