eternalcompanion

Income Requirement

36 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

The paid for house would probably be more than adequate, you need only to cover the difference between what he makes and what is required over 3 years (I think, not sure if it 3 or 5 years without looking it up). but I am pretty sure its 3 years so with the paid off house you should still be in excellent shape. To use the house you will need to get a certified appraisel.

Don't think I would delay with your daugther as once she turns 21 the rules change.

What document will the embassy be accepting, one from the certified appraisal or the property tax assessed value?

If we will use the Zillow listing, the value of the house which is 29,000 will meet the x5. But if we will be using the property tax assessed value, which is 20,900 for the year 2011 then we will not meet the income requirement. The household for 3 is 23,862 less 18,000 so we are short of 5,862 x 5,that's a total of 29,380. We are trying our best and praying that the visa be approved before my daughter turns 21. Otherwise, she cannot go with me.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

there can be other assets, besides the house, such as a savings account, stocks, bonds, etc.

his asset on the house in florida is a good asset to use, IMO, because he has TWO houses and he can show that selling it would not be a hardship on his lifestyle (no house to live in) as he's got the house in Georgia.

Since it's his asset, the 1/3 rule applies in making up the difference on the amount he needs .

study the I-864 instructions, the VO at the IV unit will use the math outlined there in computing HIS I-134.

re: current market conditions/price - nope - he needs an appraisal from a licensed appraiser in Florida.

Good Luck !

In the I-864 instructions, the multiplier is only 3 and not 5. So by 3 that means we are short of 17,586 which will be covered by the value of his paid house. Licensed appraiser.... their appraisal is what the embassy would require? Is that what you mean?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

The assessed market value in the Zillow listing is 29,000 but in the property tax for 2011 the assessed value is only 20,900. His house in Georgia is not yet paid and he has still a $75,000 balance and the assessed value is going down for this year, its 54,000, much lesser than what he owed

Great data, but that's not for me or you - that's for HIM to use on the I-134, using the math in the instructions on the I-864.

Keep at it !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

What document will the embassy be accepting, one from the certified appraisal or the property tax assessed value?

If we will use the Zillow listing, the value of the house which is 29,000 will meet the x5. But if we will be using the property tax assessed value, which is 20,900 for the year 2011 then we will not meet the income requirement. The household for 3 is 23,862 less 18,000 so we are short of 5,862 x 5,that's a total of 29,380. We are trying our best and praying that the visa be approved before my daughter turns 21. Otherwise, she cannot go with me.

An Appraisal from a LICENSED APPRAISER in the State of Florida. Include it in the I-134 pile.

LICENSED APPRAISER in the State of Florida - this is a particular title of a particular type of Human residing and working in Florida. The appraisal has nothing to do with assessed value for tax purposes. He must find this human, a LICENSED APPRAISER in the State of Florida, and pay for the appraisal work to be done. One of the outcomes of this work, is an issued document that is certified by the State of Florida, showing the appraised value. This document is called an appraisal document.

---

so you got the math wrong a bit, using the 1/5 rule and not the 1/3 rule. Why did you choose to use the 1/5 rule instead of the 1/3 rule?

lets see...

[step one] 23,862 <= 18000 [income] + (1/3)* 20,900

[step two] 23,862 <= 18000 [income] + 6966 [asset value using 1/3 rule]

[step three] 23,862 <= 24,966

-------

So using the house in Florida, making the assumption on the value, you can see that his income + the house gets you over the threshhold amount.

Yes? You can see that? or no ? Let me know, either way.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Thank you for posting more information about your case. If I were in your shoes, I would go forward with your fiancée visa, and I would include your daughter. If you build a strong case, I think you have a good chance of approval. Here's why...

> The consular officer will look at the totality of the circumstances when determining whether you and your daughter are likely to become public charges in the U.S. Income is only one factor in that decision.

> Your fiancé has a reliable and stable income from his $18,000/year pension.

> His part-time job raises his annual income to roughly 125% of the poverty line.

> He owns the Florida house outright. While houses are not necessarily a great example of a liquid asset, it will definitely help your case. It shows that he's a responsible homeowner and that he can raise money by selling the house if he needs to.

> He owns the Georgia house (well, the bank does anyway!). Again, it shows him to be an investor and a homeowner...a good thing.

> He has a joint sponsor. While his joint sponsor is not a close relative and may not be accepted, at least it's another brick in the wall that you can build your case on-- even if the joint sponsor is not accepted, the fact that the consular officer is aware that you have one will weigh favorably on the CO's mind.

> Both you and your daughter are educated and are employable in the U.S. and are unlikely to become public charges.

In my opinion, it will be extremely important that your fiancé attend your interview. His attendance will show the CO that he's serious about your relationship, and it will give your fiancé an opportunity to make his case. Also, being face to face will make it difficult for the CO to turn him down.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

In the I-864 instructions, the multiplier is only 3 and not 5. So by 3 that means we are short of 17,586 which will be covered by the value of his paid house. Licensed appraiser.... their appraisal is what the embassy would require? Is that what you mean?

Thanks. I thought it was 3 years but was too lazy to look it up the other night. That will makes things much easier for them to cover the shortage.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I know they will accept the certified appraisel and probably the assessed tax value also, doubt they would accept Zillow listing.

but you should be fine as someone took the time to look up the requirement and its 3 years.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

An Appraisal from a LICENSED APPRAISER in the State of Florida. Include it in the I-134 pile.

LICENSED APPRAISER in the State of Florida - this is a particular title of a particular type of Human residing and working in Florida. The appraisal has nothing to do with assessed value for tax purposes. He must find this human, a LICENSED APPRAISER in the State of Florida, and pay for the appraisal work to be done. One of the outcomes of this work, is an issued document that is certified by the State of Florida, showing the appraised value. This document is called an appraisal document.

---

so you got the math wrong a bit, using the 1/5 rule and not the 1/3 rule. Why did you choose to use the 1/5 rule instead of the 1/3 rule?

lets see...

[step one] 23,862 <= 18000 [income] + (1/3)* 20,900

[step two] 23,862 <= 18000 [income] + 6966 [asset value using 1/3 rule]

[step three] 23,862 <= 24,966

-------

So using the house in Florida, making the assumption on the value, you can see that his income + the house gets you over the threshhold amount.

Yes? You can see that? or no ? Let me know, either way.

I got it. Very well laid. Thank you so much. I will then ask him to look for a licensed appraiser so he can have that appraisal document certified by the State of Florida attached to his I-130. Any idea how much would it cost? I guess i have to google it. BTW, I am the one preparing everything for him. I was the one who prepared the petition and just sent it to him for signing. And i am counting on the VJ'rs like you in helping me coz i really don't have any idea at all. I am learning a lot from the people here who are always there to lend a hand. More power to all of you here!

Timeline

I know they will accept the certified appraisel and probably the assessed tax value also, doubt they would accept Zillow listing.

but you should be fine as someone took the time to look up the requirement and its 3 years.

Yes and thank you for taking the time and lending a hand. I count a you people here in helping me. I am very much relieved with the answers and assurances. Thank you again.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I got it. Very well laid. Thank you so much. I will then ask him to look for a licensed appraiser so he can have that appraisal document certified by the State of Florida attached to his I-130. Any idea how much would it cost? I guess i have to google it. BTW, I am the one preparing everything for him. I was the one who prepared the petition and just sent it to him for signing. And i am counting on the VJ'rs like you in helping me coz i really don't have any idea at all. I am learning a lot from the people here who are always there to lend a hand. More power to all of you here!

He's going to have to get off his butt and have the appraisal done. The appraisal does not have to be certified by the state. The appraiser does have to be licensed by the state.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

Thank you for posting more information about your case. If I were in your shoes, I would go forward with your fiancée visa, and I would include your daughter. If you build a strong case, I think you have a good chance of approval. Here's why...

> The consular officer will look at the totality of the circumstances when determining whether you and your daughter are likely to become public charges in the U.S. Income is only one factor in that decision.

> Your fiancé has a reliable and stable income from his $18,000/year pension.

> His part-time job raises his annual income to roughly 125% of the poverty line.

> He owns the Florida house outright. While houses are not necessarily a great example of a liquid asset, it will definitely help your case. It shows that he's a responsible homeowner and that he can raise money by selling the house if he needs to.

> He owns the Georgia house (well, the bank does anyway!). Again, it shows him to be an investor and a homeowner...a good thing.

> He has a joint sponsor. While his joint sponsor is not a close relative and may not be accepted, at least it's another brick in the wall that you can build your case on-- even if the joint sponsor is not accepted, the fact that the consular officer is aware that you have one will weigh favorably on the CO's mind.

> Both you and your daughter are educated and are employable in the U.S. and are unlikely to become public charges.

In my opinion, it will be extremely important that your fiancé attend your interview. His attendance will show the CO that he's serious about your relationship, and it will give your fiancé an opportunity to make his case. Also, being face to face will make it difficult for the CO to turn him down.

Thank you so much for your sound opinion and a detailed one. That relieves me a lot. I am not sure if he can come to be with me in my interview because of financial constraints. He sold his boat to finance my expenses in this journey. We will talk about your suggestion and try to look for means so he can come over here again. Again, my thanks for being such a great help and relief. God bless!

Timeline

He's going to have to get off his butt and have the appraisal done. The appraisal does not have to be certified by the state. The appraiser does have to be licensed by the state.

Thank you. I will tell him to get off his butt lol. Yes, i think so, if he is a licensed appraiser, his work need not be certified by the State. You are all a great help. Love you people!

Timeline

Ya, that's the sticky bit. ON THE APPRAISAL document, is a section about the apraiser, including his/her license #. That licensed is issued by the state of Florida; so the appraisal becomes an official document with just his signature - not need Florida state certification process after his signing.

Timeline

Assets are only considered if they are convertable to cash within a year. a property, especially one in FL, may not qualify currently because houses there are languishing on the market so there is no guarantee he could raise cash by selling.

Oh my! What should we do then? But will still try.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.