steviem

Married while in US on ESTA - AOS?

82 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

So I came to the US via ESTA to stay with my fiance for 3 months. During the 2nd month, we decided that as it was a certainty that this was going to happen anyway, we got married.

I now have less than a month remaining and she doesn't want me to leave. Is it possible to file for AOS and remain in the US at this address?

yes it is i overstayed my ESTA september 2011 and i just filed my AOS. I came to visit my fiance also and we just decided to get married :) :) :)

US-Irish-flag.jpg

AOS Package

March 12th 2012.. Medical completed for I693 form

April 5th 2012 Day 1 .. Sent Off AOS package

April 11th 2012 Day 6 .. Received text/email conformation

April 18th 2012 Day 13.. Received Bio Appointment for April 30th 2012 :)

April 26th 2012 Day 21.. Check online status seen i got an RFE :(

April 30th 2012 Day 25.. Did my BIO, and RFE arrived in the mail

May 1st 2012 Day 26.. Sent back RFE and did my Change of address

May 3rd 2012 Day 28 .. RFE recieved and online status change to RFE reponse review

June 5th 2012 Day 30 ... Received Email ' Card in Production' :)

June 6th 2012 Day 31 ... Recieved interview Date for July 10th

June 13th 2012 Day 38 .. Received Employment CARD

June 14th 2012 Day 39 .. Applied For SSN

June 18th 2012 Day 43 .. Recieved SSN

July 10th 2012 Day 65 .. Interview

July 10th 2012 Day 65..... Approved for GC

July 18th 2012 Day 73..... Recieved GC :) :) :) :)

yes it is i overstayed my ESTA september 2011 and i just filed my AOS. I came to visit my fiance also and we just decided to get married :) :) :)

just fyi, (i dont know why this bugs me)

you too came here under the VWP - Visa Waiver Program.

There is no such thing as an ESTA Visa.

you can therefore NOT overstay your ESTA.

/edit

from https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/WebHelp/ESTA_Screen-Level_Online_Help_1.htm#TA7

The “Implementing Recommendations of the 9/11 Commission Act of 2007” (9/11 Act) amended Section 217 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), requiring that the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) implement an electronic travel authorization system and other measures to enhance the security of the Visa Waiver Program. ESTA adds another layer of security that allows DHS to determine, in advance of travel, whether an individual is eligible to travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program and whether such travel poses a law enforcement or security risk.

Edited by Mike Z

21/2 - received NOA in mail for all 4 (130/485/765/131)

23/3 - biometrics scheduled -> did "early" walk-in on 21 March

06/4 - received email update, interview scheduled for 7th May

27/4 - received EAD

08/5 - email: approval one day after interview (7th May)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I should add that I was not asked if I intended to marry while I was here.

I was asked if I had work lined up over here, which was their primary concern in secondary. They thought I had a position lined up to work here.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I am not as experienced as other people on here, but we are on our second round of K-1 Visa application because of a paperwork confusion the first round (gotta love Scotland's record keeping!!). Anyways, we have a lawyer this time, and things are going well. We had a vacation planned to Fort Myers Beach at my condo there, but she recommended we don't do that. The reason is a very small risk that he would be stopped at the border, and sent back because of a possible intent to marry here. Rather than take the risk, we choose to change our vacation to Toronto.

In our case, if Mark had been turned back, it would have been a waste of money, but no ill effects on the visa application. In YOUR case, if there is an issue, it is not not appeal-able. No second shot. Wave bye to your wife. As I've stated, I'm not a lawyer, or an expert, but I would rather wait a few extra months and go through the CR-1 process, than take that 1% risk.

Edited by mseifman

Filed: Timeline

just fyi, (i dont know why this bugs me)

you too came here under the VWP - Visa Waiver Program.

There is no such thing as an ESTA Visa.

you can therefore NOT overstay your ESTA.

/edit

from https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/WebHelp/ESTA_Screen-Level_Online_Help_1.htm#TA7

The “Implementing Recommendations of the 9/11 Commission Act of 2007” (9/11 Act) amended Section 217 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), requiring that the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) implement an electronic travel authorization system and other measures to enhance the security of the Visa Waiver Program. ESTA adds another layer of security that allows DHS to determine, in advance of travel, whether an individual is eligible to travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program and whether such travel poses a law enforcement or security risk.

ESTA is the program that we sign up for the VWP. you don't have to attack that person, because they just said ESTA and not ESTA visa!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I had no problems AOSing on my VWP. I didn't come here intending on getting married. I knew we had plans to be married, but not on my trip. I was very honest with the border guy about that. Yeah, I had to do secondary... I said the same thing. They asked me why I didn't just get married and stay.. I informed them that it wasn't allowed to go down expecting to marry and stay. They stamped me and off I went.

5 months 4 days later we got married. On the same trip. Things changed, we now could go get married. So we did.

My intent never changed. Our circmstances did. I wanted to go home at the end of my visit.. but the reality was... I'd be stuck out of my loves arms for 6 months if I did. I'd break his son's heart by leaving him. So.. we got married.

USCIS didn't really have much to say about it.

However, I have been told that getting married before you're in the country 90 days can raise eyebrows.

Ashley and Woody (Samuel)

Arrival: 04/18/2011

Married: 09/22/2011 in New Orleans

File date: 12/28/2011

Received: 12/30/2011

Biometrics: 02/27/2012

EAD received: 03/03/2012

SSN application: 03/23/2012

SSN received: 03/30/2012

Interview: 04/24/2012

GC approval: 04/26/2012

Welcome letter: 04/30/2012

GC arrival: 05/04/2012

ROC submitted: 04/07/2014

denied "not properly signed": 04/18/2014 :ranting:

new packet mailed: 04/19/2014

Receipt notice: 04/26/2014

Biometrics Appointment: 05/19/2014 - reschedule request sent

Biometrics Appiontment: 05/29/2014 - they're on their game

Green Card approved: 07/14/2014

Green Card arrived: 07/19/2014

Naturalization process to begin in 2015

I am not as experienced as other people on here, but we are on our second round of K-1 Visa application because of a paperwork confusion the first round (gotta love Scotland's record keeping!!). Anyways, we have a lawyer this time, and things are going well. We had a vacation planned to Fort Myers Beach at my condo there, but she recommended we don't do that. The reason is a very small risk that he would be stopped at the border, and sent back because of a possible intent to marry here. Rather than take the risk, we choose to change our vacation to Toronto.

In our case, if Mark had been turned back, it would have been a waste of money, but no ill effects on the visa application. In YOUR case, if there is an issue, it is not not appeal-able. No second shot. Wave bye to your wife. As I've stated, I'm not a lawyer, or an expert, but I would rather wait a few extra months and go through the CR-1 process, than take that 1% risk.

you are right, that there's no right to appeal. but ... if that happens, just simply go home & file for your CR-1. I think listening to your story, it's worth a shot. many people adjusted their status from VWP successfully and many more will ... if it works out, you would be able to be with your partner while waiting for your greencard!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

To my knowledge from what i have read and having travelled on VWP (which i assume is the same for you as you had to do an ESTA) you CAN NOT change status while on a wavier visa, it is a huge NO NO!! Don't do it......it will be declined and you will have breached the wavier rules and be in trouble. You will need to leave and then file a K3 or CR1, but for your own peace of mind check it out on USCIS (VWP) or your home US embassy site. This information applies for Ireland and i believe it is the same for all countries granted VW visits.

Interview Monday 27th August 2012

207 days since NOA1.

Tommy arriving Saturday 25th August

Yipee!!!

APPROVED!!!!

Tommy went home 5th Sept

Visa arrived in mail 5th Sept

POE Dublin on Oct 3rd 2012

I should add that I was not asked if I intended to marry while I was here.I was asked if I had work lined up over here, which was their primary concern in secondary. They thought I had a position lined up to work here.

OP, you won't be the first person to do it, and not last.

But another danger to consider when trying to AOS from VWP is that different local offices have different procedures. While the Los Angeles office might approve the AOS without question, San Diego might place the beneficiary in removal proceedings. I'd be very weary, and at least consult with a local immigration attorney who has dealt with VWP AOS at your local office before.

Edited by jaejayC

To my knowledge from what i have read and having travelled on VWP (which i assume is the same for you as you had to do an ESTA) you CAN NOT change status while on a wavier visa, it is a huge NO NO!! Don't do it......it will be declined and you will have breached the wavier rules and be in trouble. You will need to leave and then file a K3 or CR1, but for your own peace of mind check it out on USCIS (VWP) or your home US embassy site. This information applies for Ireland and i believe it is the same for all countries granted VW visits.

That's true on paper, but in reality, many USCIS offices will process AOS for VWP spouses.

Filed: Other Country: Ireland
Timeline

I was advised on this site, NOT to AOS from the Visa Waiver.

I personally know a person who did it... but after looking at all the bullshit that goes on if you get denied, then I wouldn't risk it.

Apply for the CR-1. Go home, save money/relax, wait it out and you will be approved before you know it.

If you don't listen to me or other people advising you to do this, then that's ok too! Good luck to you, hope it works out! :thumbs:

Where is the OP from? If it's a Visa Waiver country, then he is not considered to be from a high-fraud country and as such may be fine just to go ahead with the AOS.

All the best!

:thumbs:

K-1 Visa Journey
08/05/2011 I-129F sent
08/09/2011 I-129F recieved and signed for by C.Viella @ Lewisville, TX
08/11/2011 NOA1 email recieved
08/12/2011 Cheque cashed by USCIS
08/16/2011 NOA1 Hard Copy recieved
12/05/2011 NOA2 Email recieved: Approved
12/09/2011 NOA2 Hard Copy recieved: Approved
01/10/2012 Medical
01/24/2012 NVC received File
01/26/2012 NVC transferred to Embassy
02/06/2012 Embassy Received
02/08/2012 Packet 3 Received
02/16/2012 Packet 3 Sent back to Embassy
02/17/2012 Embassy Received
03/01/2012 Packet 4 Received
03/13/2012 Interview Date: APPROVED
04/05/2012 POE: Dublin, Ireland

Your I-129f was approved in 116 days from your NOA1 date.
Your interview took 215 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

04/25/2012 AOS sent
04/30/2012 AOS Received and signed for by CHYBA @ Chicago, IL
05/03/2012 Cheque cashed by USCIS
05/04/2012 Biometrics letter sent
05/29/2012 I-485 transferred to CSC
06/01/2012 Biometrics appointment
07/06/2012 EAD+AP Card Production (68 days)
07/14/2012 EAD+AP Card Received

04/18/2013 Filed for EAD+AP renewal
04/19/2013 Contacted Congressman
04/19/2013 RFE for form I-693
05/06/2013 RFE response under review
05/21/2013 AOS APPROVED!
05/25/2013 Green Card IN HAND!

Your AOS was approved in 392 days from your send-date.

I was advised on this site, NOT to AOS from the Visa Waiver. I personally know a person who did it... but after looking at all the bullshit that goes on if you get denied, then I wouldn't risk it.Apply for the CR-1. Go home, save money/relax, wait it out and you will be approved before you know it.If you don't listen to me or other people advising you to do this, then that's ok too! Good luck to you, hope it works out! :thumbs: Where is the OP from? If it's a Visa Waiver country, then he is not considered to be from a high-fraud country and as such may be fine just to go ahead with the AOS.All the best! :thumbs:

Since the OP is asking about AOS from VWP I'm assuming the OP is from a VWP country B-)

Filed: Other Country: Ireland
Timeline

Since the OP is asking about AOS from VWP I'm assuming the OP is from a VWP country B-)

I know.

I'm saying: Visa Waiver countries are not high risk, more than likely making his AOS easier.

K-1 Visa Journey
08/05/2011 I-129F sent
08/09/2011 I-129F recieved and signed for by C.Viella @ Lewisville, TX
08/11/2011 NOA1 email recieved
08/12/2011 Cheque cashed by USCIS
08/16/2011 NOA1 Hard Copy recieved
12/05/2011 NOA2 Email recieved: Approved
12/09/2011 NOA2 Hard Copy recieved: Approved
01/10/2012 Medical
01/24/2012 NVC received File
01/26/2012 NVC transferred to Embassy
02/06/2012 Embassy Received
02/08/2012 Packet 3 Received
02/16/2012 Packet 3 Sent back to Embassy
02/17/2012 Embassy Received
03/01/2012 Packet 4 Received
03/13/2012 Interview Date: APPROVED
04/05/2012 POE: Dublin, Ireland

Your I-129f was approved in 116 days from your NOA1 date.
Your interview took 215 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

04/25/2012 AOS sent
04/30/2012 AOS Received and signed for by CHYBA @ Chicago, IL
05/03/2012 Cheque cashed by USCIS
05/04/2012 Biometrics letter sent
05/29/2012 I-485 transferred to CSC
06/01/2012 Biometrics appointment
07/06/2012 EAD+AP Card Production (68 days)
07/14/2012 EAD+AP Card Received

04/18/2013 Filed for EAD+AP renewal
04/19/2013 Contacted Congressman
04/19/2013 RFE for form I-693
05/06/2013 RFE response under review
05/21/2013 AOS APPROVED!
05/25/2013 Green Card IN HAND!

Your AOS was approved in 392 days from your send-date.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Others who did this might weigh in here. Usually I don't recommend an attorney but you might at least have a consultation with a good one. Good Luck.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.