strumfulina

Working rules in Ohio?Urgent!

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Romania
Timeline

Hi there! I need some advice from you guys, if someone can tell me if this situation is something normal and if there is anything that we can do about it. My husband is working in hospitality industry, he worked as a front desk manager and he found a new position as a general manager of a hotel and he was accepted. He started his new job Monday, he filled all the papers last Wendsday and today at first hour in the morning, he got a phonecall from them telling him that his background check and credit history disqualified him for this position, after he was introduced yesyerday to all the staff, mayor and everyone. Now, of course he is jobless and in a bad mood and i don' t know how to encourage him and support him not to go in any bad depression. He quit his last job for this one. My question is: do they have the right to play with your life like that? Is there anything that we can do? They should have done that checking before hiring him, not after he quit his job already, right? Is there any law in the state of Ohio about that? Does anybody know? Now we are in a really bad situation....i can't find anything because nobody is looking at my resume with experience in other country then US....and now he is jobless....I just can't accept that this country is like this....even if my country doesn't have a good image, i still don't think somethng like this can happen and the company to get away with it that easy...

Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you!

Background: meet my husband in November 2010

came to visit him in July 2011 (B2 visa)

got married in December 2011

I-94 expired in January 2012

Day 0 - 02.01.12 - Send the package

Day 01 - 02.02.12 - Package rec'd

Day 08 - 02.09.12 - E-notification

Day 09 - 02.10.12 - Checks cashed

Day 13 - 02.13.12 - NOA mail

Day 17 - 02.17.12 - Bio appointment for 02.24.12

Day 22 - 02.22.12 - Walk-in Bio

Day 56 - 03.27.12 - Letter with the interview appointment for 04.26.12

Day 58 - 03.29.12 - EAD in production

Day 65 - 04.05.12 - EAD mailed

Day 67 - 04.07.12 - EAD received

Day 69 - 04.09.12 - Applied for SSN

Day 86 - 04.26.12 - Interview day - Cincinnati Federal Office Building

Day 90 - 05.01.12 - GC in production!

Day 93 - 05.04.12 - GC in hand! HAPPY!!!

Did the new employer informed him that he was on probation until after all the required checks were done. If so,then there is nothing that can be done for your husband.

Your husband knew of the flags that were in his credit and history before excepting the new job.Your husband just took a gamble to think that his past wouldn't meet his future; that it wouldn't affect him. Sorry.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

I believe they can do that, when I was hired for the job I have now (in OH), it was contingent upon various things (including background check, drug test, and a lot of other things). It is very important to know your credit and possible criminal history before making life decisions (like quitting your job).

Your husband could ask for a second chance, in some situations it's workable, especially with good references. Depending on job position and criminal record.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi there! I need some advice from you guys, if someone can tell me if this situation is something normal and if there is anything that we can do about it. My husband is working in hospitality industry, he worked as a front desk manager and he found a new position as a general manager of a hotel and he was accepted. He started his new job Monday, he filled all the papers last Wendsday and today at first hour in the morning, he got a phonecall from them telling him that his background check and credit history disqualified him for this position, after he was introduced yesyerday to all the staff, mayor and everyone. Now, of course he is jobless and in a bad mood and i don' t know how to encourage him and support him not to go in any bad depression. He quit his last job for this one. My question is: do they have the right to play with your life like that? Is there anything that we can do? They should have done that checking before hiring him, not after he quit his job already, right? Is there any law in the state of Ohio about that? Does anybody know? Now we are in a really bad situation....i can't find anything because nobody is looking at my resume with experience in other country then US....and now he is jobless....I just can't accept that this country is like this....even if my country doesn't have a good image, i still don't think somethng like this can happen and the company to get away with it that easy...

From what you are saying, the new employer did not violate any laws.

I understand your frustration. The reality is that you will likely have to start at a lower level that you were working at home. The important thing is to get in the workforce. After acquiring some US work experience more opportunities will open up for you.

Best of luck to the both of you.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Timeline

Not sure if your state is at will but in Texas and California where I've worked it's totally at will and the employee can be let go at any time and for any legal reason.

What transfarable skills do you have to transfer from the old country that you can use here?

Can you work as a tour guide for folks from the old country? Set up a internet based business marketing directly to the old country and what you know they need from here? Think alongst that line.

Best of luck.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Not a violation of current law if that is the reason. Unfortunately in today's market is is necessary for the new employee to NOT change jobs until all background work has been done OR get a waiver from the company on that policy. Basically if they tell you that they need to do these background and credit checks, then you need to tell them you will start your new job when they complete them and give you the OK. They are protecting themselves and you need to protect yourself. He may be able to go further up the line and get someone to reconsider but as a matter of law...no. One can always file a lawsuit in a civil court, a local attorney may give you an idea if you can expect to have any success with that. What they did was irresponsible, but there is no law against it.

I think there is sufficient evidence to support a claim that such rules discriminate against women, minorities and new immigrants as they are much more likely to have little or no credit, or bad credit. I imagine someday some advocacy group will challenge these policies and they will be eliminated along with other forms of discrimination.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

If you were already aware of the adverse conditions which caused this, then the following won't help, but I extend my condolences for an unfortunate situation.

If you were not aware of the items on his credit history or background check which caused this, then please consider discussing this with the employer and be advised of the following:

Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, you must be informed if the information in your file has been used against you, and you have the right to know what is in your file. Furthermore, if this information is incorrect, then you have the right to dispute it, and the information must be removed or corrected within a certain period of time (usually 30 days).

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre35.pdf

The Fair Credit Reporting Act is not confined to your credit history, but includes your employment history as well. It covers denials of employment in addition to denials of loans.

Finally, credit reports are often incorrect. I had three incorrect items on just one of my credit reports (two wrong dates/balances, and one COMPLETELY wrong account).

Best of luck to you two. This is a rotten situation to be in - and shame on that company for not completing their checks prior to extending the offer. And, for that matter, shame on America for allowing the use of credit reports and background checks to get way out of hand.

I should also add that there is a time limit for which items may be used, but that varies from state to state.

________________________Amy & Michael___________________________

11NOV2011 - Met on eHarmony

30DEC2011 - Met in person

04MAY2011 - Submitted I-129F Packet after 28 days of prep

06MAY2011 - Accepted by J Arthur

09MAY2011 - Received acceptance email & text at 2:53 am (5/6)

18MAY2011 - Received Request for Payment (wrong acct #)

??MAY2011 - Received NOA1 hardcopy

25MAY2011 - Submitted corrected payment

01JUN2011 - Received NOA2 email; new priority date - June 1

04JUN2011 - Received NOA2 hard copy (no text)

30SEP2011 - Received NOA3 email of approval at 4:01p (4 months)

03OCT2011 - NOA3 hard copy posted in Vermont

05OCT2011 - Received NOA3 hard copy at VirtualPostMail (Calif.)

18OCT2011 - Petition forwarded from NVC to embassy

21OCT2011 - Embassy issued RFE of immigration status via snail

24OCT2011 - Obtained Case # from NVC via phone

07NOV2011 - Received embassy's RFE request and responded

14NOV2011 - Sent Packet 3; Received Packet 4 via email

24NOV2011 - Medical exam

28NOV2011 - Interview: APPROVED

02DEC2011 - Visa available for pickup

03DEC2011 - POE @ Peace Arch

07DEC2011 - Married

08DEC2011 - Posted AOS

17AUG2012 - Service Request (Over Processing Time)

01NOV2012 - Interview

09NOV2012 - Approved/Card Issued

--ADJUDICATION ESTIMATES--

*Best 09/29: 9/20-10/7 Worst 09/06: 9/28-10/10 Final 09/30: 9/21-10/9

*7 months from Application to POE, exactly as advised from the start

*0 touches ... straight from "Acceptance" to "Post-Decision"

*K-1 Priority Date: 01JUN11 ||| Service Center: VSC ||| Consulate: VAC

*The hardest thing I've done in my life ... but very worth it

Free passport photo converter: ePassportPhoto.com

Good luck to all on their visa journeys~

Timeline

Thank you for your fast responses... I still can't believe that this is a normal thing and there is no law about it. This is the country with laws for everything and anything but when it comes to your rights as a citizen...you have no rights! How funny is that?? And btw...my husband is born and raised in America...so i guess it's his fault cause he had no idea how to protect himself...I think that immigrants know more about their rights then Americans! Anyway...it's sad and it's very frustrating knowing that you lost 40 000$ salary because some unpaid bills or whatever happen 10 years ago.

And i don't know which is the problem with my resume to be honest...it looks professional, it has no mistakes, my working history is in tourism,retail and pharmaceutical fields, a degree in Economics and 4 languages, 5 years working experience...yet...2 phone calls from 70 resumes sent and 2 real emails back but with no interview...And believe me, i am trying to get anything right now...i am not trying to find what i had back home so i am applying to almost anything that i believe i can do...I believe they don't give me any chance because i have no references from US or i don't know... For example i received an e-mail late last night about setting an interview for today, for a new Sprint store, we had an exchange of e-mails and the person looked interested, but today i didn't got any response to my email from last night or today...How does that work?

I am starting to think that this country forgot the values that it was founded on from the beginning... :(

P.S. don't take my opinions to personal, i don't want to upset anyone or to have any contradictions...i am just very frustrated cause i can't understand what "normality" means here...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Thank you for your fast responses... I still can't believe that this is a normal thing and there is no law about it. This is the country with laws for everything and anything but when it comes to your rights as a citizen...you have no rights! How funny is that?? And btw...my husband is born and raised in America...so i guess it's his fault cause he had no idea how to protect himself...I think that immigrants know more about their rights then Americans! Anyway...it's sad and it's very frustrating knowing that you lost 40 000$ salary because some unpaid bills or whatever happen 10 years ago.

And i don't know which is the problem with my resume to be honest...it looks professional, it has no mistakes, my working history is in tourism,retail and pharmaceutical fields, a degree in Economics and 4 languages, 5 years working experience...yet...2 phone calls from 70 resumes sent and 2 real emails back but with no interview...And believe me, i am trying to get anything right now...i am not trying to find what i had back home so i am applying to almost anything that i believe i can do...I believe they don't give me any chance because i have no references from US or i don't know... For example i received an e-mail late last night about setting an interview for today, for a new Sprint store, we had an exchange of e-mails and the person looked interested, but today i didn't got any response to my email from last night or today...How does that work?

I am starting to think that this country forgot the values that it was founded on from the beginning... :(

P.S. don't take my opinions to personal, i don't want to upset anyone or to have any contradictions...i am just very frustrated cause i can't understand what "normality" means here...

The economy is difficult for everyone right now. Any kind of job is much more difficult to find. It's going to take a lot of effort.

You will probably have more success applying in person rather than through email. For no other reason than it's more difficult to ignore someone in person. Let them talk to you for a few minutes and their worries will lessen. Most employers are not familiar with hiring immigrants. They think that it is a big problem, or that they will make a mistake and get in trouble. By being there and having your work authorization documents with you, it can make a difference. The hiring manager can see that you are qualified and able to meet the documentation requirements.

At least that is how it worked for my ex-wife from Salaj County. :)

Try not to be too discouraged.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

Thank you for your encourage Anh map...I am not discouraged yet! And i did that too, i went to places in person to talk with people because i am a nice person and i thought that once they'll meet me, they will like me... i also wrote in my resume that i do have working authorization and everything i need and i can start as soon as possible. Since yesterday though, i have 2 interviews in line...both for front desk in hotel industry...so...will see what happens...Any start right now, it's a good start!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

Succes!

USCIS [*] 22 Nov. 2011 - I-129 package sent; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - Package delivered; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - NOA1/petition received and routed to the California Service Center; [*] 30 Nov. 2011 - Touched/confirmation though text message and email; [*] 03 Dec. 2011 - Hard copy received; [*]24 April 2012 - NOA2 (no RFEs)/text message/email/USCIS account updated; [*] 27 April 2012 - NOA2 hard copy received.

NVC [*] 14 May 2012 - Petition received by NVC ; [*] 16 May 2012 - Petition left NVC.

EMBASSY [*] 18 May 2012 - Petition arrived at the US Embassy in Bucharest; [*] 22 May 2012 - Package 3 received; [*] 24 May 2012 - Package sent to the consulate, interview date set; [*] 14 June 2012 - Interview date, approved.

POE [*] 04 July 2012 - Minneapolis/St.Paul. [*] 16 September 2012 - Wedding Day!

AOS/EAD/AP [*] 04 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package sent; [*] 07 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package delivered; [*] 12 February 2013 - NOA1 text messages/emails; [*] 16 February 2013 - NOA1 received in the regular mail; [*] 28 February 2013 - Biometrics letter received (appointment date, March 8th); [*] 04 March 2013 - Biometrics walk-in completed (9 out of 10 fingerprints taken, pinky would not give in); [*] 04 April 2013 - EAD/AP card approved; [*] 11 April 2013 - Combo card sent/tracking number obtained; [*] 15 April 2013 - Card delivered.

[*] 15 May 2013 - Moved from MN to LA; [*] 17 May 2013 - Applied for a new SS card/filed an AR-11 online (unsuccessfully), therefore called and spoke to a Tier 2 and changed the address; [*] 22 May 2013 - Address updated on My Case Status (finally can see the case numbers online); [*] 28 May 2013 - Letter received in the mail confirming the change of address; [*] 31 July 2013 - Went to Romania; [*] 12 September 2013 - returned to the US using the AP, POE Houston, everything went smoothly; [*] 20 September 2013 - Spoke to a Tier2 and put in a service request; [*] 23 September 2013 - Got "Possible Interview Waiver" letter (originally sent on August, 29th to my old address, returned and re-routed to my current address); [*] 1 October 2013 - Started a new job.

event.png

Trying to get the word out about our struggles:

http://voices.yahoo.com/almost-legal-citizen-but-not-quite-12155565.html?cat=9

Timeline

Multumesc Peter_Pan!

Succes!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.