FERLEM

CO-SPONSOR HAS A BANKRUPTCY....CAN I STILL USE HIER AS MY CO-SPONSOR?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hi everyone,

First of all thank you for reading my post and I appreciate any help you can offer :-)

I have a question. My friend is going to be our co-sponsor ,but she recently filed for bankruptcy.Are we in trouble? Will that affect our case??Thanks again for your help.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Bankruptcy should not make a difference.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** Moving from Moving here... to K1 visa forum as this is the visa the OP is going for ****

Does your friend make over the poverty line for her household plus the immigrant now?

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

**** Moving from Moving here... to K1 visa forum as this is the visa the OP is going for ****

Does your friend make over the poverty line for her household plus the immigrant now?

oh-oh! I don't think so .I mean ,she makes like 30K a year ,but she has 2 kids.OMG! I'm gonna cry right now! So the person needs to make enough money for her household AND the immigrant ,right? even if we r applying for a K1?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

oh-oh! I don't think so .I mean ,she makes like 30K a year ,but she has 2 kids.OMG! I'm gonna cry right now! So the person needs to make enough money for her household AND the immigrant ,right? even if we r applying for a K1?

Yes, she would need to make above the limit for a family of four (or five) her, (husband), 2 children and the immigrant.

USCIS- 260 Days

6/8/11~ Mailed I-130 Application, withdrew Canadian PR application
6/16/11~ NOA1 email and text message Case routed to CSC (Priority Date)
7/12/11~ The 'Money Order' Incident/Returned to Tennessee
8/03/11~ TOUCHED!
3/2/12~ APPROVED! NOA2!

NVC Electronic Processing- Montreal- 19 Days

3/21/12~ Received case number & IIN 20 Days after NOA2
3/21/12~ Sent in opt-in email
3/22/12~ Opt-in accepted
3/23/12~ DS-261 Submitted, never accepted
3/29/12~ AOS bill invoiced and paid
3/30/12~ AOS shows PAID- AOS Package emailed/received, DS-3032 emailed/accepted
4/2/12~ IV bill invoiced and paid
4/3/12~ AOS Checklist documents emailed(first time)
4/4/12~ IV shows PAID- DS-260 submitted/ IV Package emailed/received
4/4/12~ AOS Checklist documents sent again for CYA (second time)
4/5/12~ IV package accepted! No Checklists!
4/6/12~ AOS Checklist emailed(third time)
4/9/12~ AOS packet accepted (finally)
CASE COMPLETE!!

Interview 354 days from NOA1/ 362 days from initial filing date
5/29/12~ Medical@ Medisys, Montreal
6/4/12~ Interview APPROVED!!!
08/07/2012~ POE Emerson, MB/Pembina, ND by land
08/09/2012~ HOME!! 424 days from initial filing date!
08/14/2012~ SSN Received
09/10/2012~ Received Green Card

Timeline

Correct. A joint sponsor must meet the income requirement for their household plus the intending immigrant. Also, when using the I-134 Affidavit of Support, the sponsor cannot combine incomes to meet the requirement.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

Correct. A joint sponsor must meet the income requirement for their household plus the intending immigrant. Also, when using the I-134 Affidavit of Support, the sponsor cannot combine incomes to meet the requirement.

Thank you sooo much for your answer.I have one more question...does the co-sponsor has to live in America? Can we use someone that lives in Brazil ,but works for an international company.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Thank you sooo much for your answer.I have one more question...does the co-sponsor has to live in America? Can we use someone that lives in Brazil ,but works for an international company.

It needs to be a permanent resident of the US or a US citizen.

K-1 Visa Timeline AOS Timeline

- Aug 31st, 2011 - Mailed I-129F package - May 29th, 2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP package

- Apr 13th, 2012 - Visa received - Aug 24th, 2012 - Green Card received

ROC Timeline

- May 19th, 2014 - Mailed ROC package to CSC

- Aug 8th, 2014 - Green Card received

N-400 Timeline

- Dec 29th, 2021 - Filed online. Got notice that biometrics will be reused.

- Now waiting...

Timeline

Also, how much money (numbers) does a person need to make a year?I mean what's the poverty's line income(please give me numbers)I'm so confused! :(

Click on the link for the I-864P Poverty Guidelines in my signature below to see the income requirements.

Timeline

THANK U, THANK U ,THANK U,THANK U ,THANK U :content:

Your joint sponsor will likely have to meet the 125% income amount. Check with the embassy/consulate to be sure.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.