15 posts in this topic

Hi,

Is any one afraid about not been able to work? Else not been able to find Employment when approved to? As this is my only fear. Give me your thoughts. Am i the only one who feels this way.

Thanks Kath

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I was not afraid of not being able to work because I enjoyed my "mini retirement" when I first got to the U.S. Then, after my EAD was approved, it took me several months to find a job. Then, we moved, I quit that job and had to job-hunt again recently. I just got my second job a few weeks ago and am now in the training phase, which I always find VERY stressful.

Just take one step at a time and you will find something you will truly enjoy.

Good luck.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

I was not worried at all and it turned out that getting a job was more difficult than getting the visa.

But worrying won't help you so don't worry. Eventually you will find a job.

Good luck

Ana

Filed: Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Was worried too.

But I guess I got lucky that I got a temp job that might lead to permanent position. I guess it all depends on the overall employment condition of the place & the demand for the skill in that place.

But I am sure eventually you will find something you enjoy. Good luck

I-130

Jun 28 2004 : Received at NSC

Oct 25 2004 : Transferred to CSC

Oct 29 2004 : Received at CSC

Nov 8 2004 : Received response from CSC that my file is being requested & review will be done

Nov 10 2004 : Email & online status Approved

Nov 15 2004 : NOA 2 in mail

Dec 16 2004 : NVC assigns case number

Dec 20 2004 : NVC sent DS 3032 to beneficiary, copy of DS 3032 & I-864 fee bill to petitioner

Jan 3 2005 : Petitioner received copy of DS 3032 and I-864 fee bill. Post-marked Dec 23rd.

Jan 11 2005 : Beneficiary received DS 3032 in Indonesia

Jan 31 2005 : Sent DS 3032 to NVC

Feb 8, 2005 : NVC received DS 3032

Feb 21, 2005 : IV fee generated

Feb 25, 2005 : Sent I-864 fee bill

Feb 28, 2005 : I-864 fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 3, 2005 : IV fee bill received

Mar 7, 2005 : Sent IV fee bill

Mar 9, 2005 : IV fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 28, 2005 : I-864 fee credited against case.

April 6, 2005 : Received I-864 package

April 7, 2005 : Immigrant Visa fee credited against case.

April 11, 2005 : DS 230 is generated

Aug 12, 2005 : I-864 & DS 230 received by NVC

Sep 14, 2005 : RFE on I-864

Nov 3, 2005 : Checklist response received at NVC

Nov 25, 2005 : Case completion

Dec 9, 2005 : Police Cert requested from the Netherlands

Jan 12 2006 : Interview success - Approved !!

Jan 19 2006 : Visa & brown envelope picked up

That was one of my main worries...i have to say that i have been very lucky..i have been here 5 weeks and start work tomorrow...i got a temp ead stamp at jfk and a ssn one week after being here and the job offer 2 weeks after being here. It is not my dream job but a job that will bring in some money and to get out of the house....good luck

k37hm7.png

03-06-10 Mailed N-400

03-17-10 Check cashed

03-19-10 NOA received

03-22-10 Biometrics sent

04-09-10 Biometrics appointment

06-14-10 Interview Date

06-22-10 Received letter for Oath

07-02-10 Oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I wasn’t worried at all about finding a job, thought it shouldn’t be all that difficult. It never crossed my mind it would be hard until I got my EAD in August. It’s now October and I still haven’t gotten a thing, had one interview which appeared to go well then heard nothing. :huh:

I mean I’ve been completing application forms for available jobs! Last week alone I applied for 5 JOBS 5 open jobs and so far this week I’ve applied for a further 6 JOBS, I’ve lost count how many I’ve applied for in total!

I haven’t and I’m not covering the entire city in my now heavily Americanized Resumes (CVs) in the hope that maybe 1 employer out of 1000 just might call me in like 3 months. I’m getting the feeling I’m getting ignored, I’ve applied for everything from Office Depot to general can you use MS word to type a stupid letter office work to IT which is what I did back home.. even the “no experience required” forest gump jobs.

From what I’ve read and been told it appears the job hunt varies from area to area. I could get nothing in this area yet you could land a perfect job tomorrow where you’re at. :blink:

Good Luck! :yes:

Filed N400 11/7/16

Check (CC) Cashed 11/10/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Aidan80

What IT work did you do back home?

I was an onsite support technician.

Job prospects are different in every area. There are so many helpdesk/support jobs available in Charlotte, NC. I am sure you will find something good soon. Do you have any professional certifications like A+ or Network+?

Click here for our complete timeline; from K1 all the way to citizenship.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I wasn't too worried about getting a job. I came from an IT background in the UK and had high hopes that my experience combined with the fact that I would hopefully stick in the mind of any recruiters or hiring managers would work to my advantage. In the end I waited ages for my EAD to be approved. It took from May - late October before I could apply for anything and then November - January before I even got an interview.

In the end the only real advice I can give is that in our position with limited access to a network of friends and family, getting a foot in the door is the hardest part. I learnt pretty quickly that using a recruitment firm is by far the best way to go. The face to face meetings with the recruiters made it possible for them to explain my situation to any potentail employer. I beleive that although someone with an EAD doesn't require any sponsorship, lots of emplyers think that employing a non-US citizen will be a headache and don't look any further. I'm not talking about temp agencies either. I'm talking about recruitment agencies looking for people to fill longterm contract to hire positions.

Yes the job search is frustrating but I looked at it as a chance to try something new (although I still work in IT). I admit I was getting a little annoyed at my lack of responses from applications but you just have to roll with the punches, keep applying for stuff and hope that the law of averages will get you some interviews.

Best of luck

Mark :)

P.S If anyone would like to see my resume I'd be happy to share. One of the recruiters I met with actually helped me with some editing and it is actually quite a good template if anyone needs any pointers. I did the best I could translating my CV into a Resume and this guy really helped smarten it up.

Our Full Timeline From K-1 Application through to Receiving my Green Card

Timeline Summary

11/30/2007 - I-751 Mailed to Nebraska

12/28/2007 - NOA Received (application has been forwarded to California)

01/09/2008 - Biometrics taken in St. Louis

03/27/2008 - I-751 Approved, 10 Yr Greencard in the mail !!

12/20/2016 - N-400 mailed to Phoenix lockbox

01/17/2017 - NOA Received

01/25/2017 - Attended biometrics in St. Louis

09/29/2017 - Received I-797C notice dated 09/27/17.  Interview Scheduled for November 6th @ 8am

11/06/2017 - N400 interview in St. Louis.  Approved !!:jest:

02/05/2018 - Notice of Oath Ceremony date received.  March 1st, 2018 @ 8.30am

"Though miles once lay between us, we were never far apart, for true love doesn't count the miles, it's measured by the heart"

Check out our website - "Our Journey Together"

View Our Online Photo Albums - "Mark and Debs' Webshots Albums"

Hi,

The kind of work i did back home was Retail Manager for Asda . I was a Manager for them for fourteen years. I did all different roles in Management.. In total i have been in Retail for 25 years. The Company is is part of the Wal-Mart Family. They dent do International Transfers. I'm told i'm a People Person. ThANKS.

Kath.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Aidan80

What IT work did you do back home?

I was an onsite support technician.

Job prospects are different in every area. There are so many helpdesk/support jobs available in Charlotte, NC. I am sure you will find something good soon. Do you have any professional certifications like A+ or Network+?

I’m actually going to get A+ certified here in the US. I’ve complemented the equivalent back home but that was a few years back and I don’t mind brushing up. I’ve plenty of certificates already and enough experience but I need something employers here are familiar with. :hehe:

I wasn't too worried about getting a job. I came from an IT background in the UK and had high hopes that my experience combined with the fact that I would hopefully stick in the mind of any recruiters or hiring managers would work to my advantage. In the end I waited ages for my EAD to be approved. It took from May - late October before I could apply for anything and then November - January before I even got an interview.

In the end the only real advice I can give is that in our position with limited access to a network of friends and family, getting a foot in the door is the hardest part. I learnt pretty quickly that using a recruitment firm is by far the best way to go. The face to face meetings with the recruiters made it possible for them to explain my situation to any potentail employer. I beleive that although someone with an EAD doesn't require any sponsorship, lots of emplyers think that employing a non-US citizen will be a headache and don't look any further. I'm not talking about temp agencies either. I'm talking about recruitment agencies looking for people to fill longterm contract to hire positions.

Yes the job search is frustrating but I looked at it as a chance to try something new (although I still work in IT). I admit I was getting a little annoyed at my lack of responses from applications but you just have to roll with the punches, keep applying for stuff and hope that the law of averages will get you some interviews.

Best of luck

Mark :)

P.S If anyone would like to see my resume I'd be happy to share. One of the recruiters I met with actually helped me with some editing and it is actually quite a good template if anyone needs any pointers. I did the best I could translating my CV into a Resume and this guy really helped smarten it up.

I was thinking just the same thing, thought it can’t be that hard.. how many Irish IT people could they have here :huh: .. never thought I wouldn’t get as far as an interview :hehe: . I’ve been using recruitment firms, employment firms, job sites.. all over the place to try and get something. Funny you mention the EAD, I’ve actually added to my CV that I hold a valid EAD and can complete all I-9 requirements, I think that gets the point across? Well without saying, hire me I’m no harder to hire than an american.

My wife actually Americanized my CV so much I’ve almost ended up calling it a “Resume” :wacko: ! I used a similar template as my wife and she’s never had a problem with finding a job. I actually wouldn’t mind having a look at your resume maybe it could give me a nudge in the right direction if I’m off. It’s always good to know I’m not and wasn’t alone hunting for a job here! :)

Hi,

The kind of work i did back home was Retail Manager for Asda . I was a Manager for them for fourteen years. I did all different roles in Management.. In total i have been in Retail for 25 years. The Company is is part of the Wal-Mart Family. They dent do International Transfers. I'm told i'm a People Person. ThANKS.

Kath.

I doubt you’ll have a problem here finding a job, I did a search for a PS3 for someone back home on the Wal-Mart website and found there to be like 30 stores within 35 miles of where I live :mellow: . That’s almost a Wal-Mart every mile and a bit :bonk: ? That’s insane, madness!

Good Luck, I hope you find something quickly! :P

Filed N400 11/7/16

Check (CC) Cashed 11/10/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.