C-ma'am

Can I trash some papersI took to the interview?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hey guys!

I'm packing and I was putting away some pictures of ours I'm taking home ...and suddenly, I had this question:

Can I trash all the papers I took to the interview? For example... I made pictures collages (for which I have the digital copies), screenshots and such? For the AOS interview they will require new evidence..right?

headbonk.gif I'm thinking yes...but I'm not sure

Thanks for the help

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Serbia
Timeline

I am not sure. In my case I have kept everything except the pictures which I left with husbands family since I can always make copies of them. I think I will get rid of them once the husband gets his 10 year green card or citizenship till then one sectional binder wont hurt staying in the back of my closet.

[font="Century Gothic"]Married March 27, 2010
Sent out I-130 December 29, 2010
Recieved NOA 1 January 4, 2011
Touched January 6, 2011
Recieved NOA 2 May 9, 2011
Interview September 27, 2011
Visa in hand Septmeber 30, 2011 (it would of been the same day as the interview but they requested some more info)
POE - JFK, NYC October 12, 2011 [/font]

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;0;23/st/20100327/e/Since+our+wedding/k/ccbb/event.png[/img]
[/url]

After all the time and effort spent compiling, organizing, reviewing, reorganizing, re-reviewing, re-re-reviewing our document/evidence packages I think I am going to keep ours forever.

Once in awhile we actually pull out our "books" of evidence and records and marvel at how much blood (a few paper cuts) sweat and tears were shed over these between the moments of elation and sadness and frustration and joy.

Totally up to you but it's one hell of a keepsake!

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

12/15/2009 Interview (HCMC, VN)

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

12/23/2010 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

12/31/2010 I-485 Transfered to CSC

2/4/2011 Green Card received

1/7/2013 Mailed I-751 package

1/14/2013 I-751 NOA (VSC)

2/07/2013 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Yea Celeste,

I don't have a good quick answer for that one. The sentimental aspect of keeping all of the results of your recent blood, sweat and tears is compelling. Yet, I can relate to having to move on to the next chapter in our lives, lighten our load of "stuff." I am not yet sure of the documentation that will be necessary further down the visa journey path. It would be a real bite if you had to recreate, or again obtain a document later that had been recently recycled. Perhaps some more seasoned (and lightly-breaded.... :lol:) VJ members can offer some insight on what to keep and what to jettison. One thing that I have been doing all along this process, is to create CD copies of all of the documents/statements/completed forms/applications that I have compiled thus far. When I have assembled these papers for submission, I have tried to consistently scan them into my computer files, usually PDF or Word files. For example, I have one CD that contains all of the stuff associated with the initial I-129F petition, I am in the process of doing the same for our present Packet 3 documents/forms/apps....etc., and will likely do the same for any other future document submissions. Heck, I am getting to be an old fart and anything I can do to cut down on the clutter, and yet still be able to find it if I need it, is my objective. Good luck....

YMMV.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hey guys!

I'm packing and I was putting away some pictures of ours I'm taking home ...and suddenly, I had this question:

Can I trash all the papers I took to the interview? For example... I made pictures collages (for which I have the digital copies), screenshots and such? For the AOS interview they will require new evidence..right?

headbonk.gif I'm thinking yes...but I'm not sure

Thanks for the help

Alla just got her citizenship and we appled for passports today for Alla and Pasha. I still have everything. I plan on a shashlik this summer and will ignite the coals with the papers we had. Until then I have kept everything. I suggest you box it and put it away safely.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Thank you ALL very much for your responses!

@A&B While I keep the first metal cork cap, from our first bottle of champagne (and many other tokens of our relationship)...... I have no desires to keep the actual papers for the interview for the same reason you stated. In fact, I don't want to fill out a new form for AT LEAST a few weeks..

I have kept digital copies of everything in my Gmail Docs and back ups (I'm a proud geek).

@Gary ... first of all.. Congrats to Alla on her citizenship! ..................By all means, BURN BABY BURN! rofl.gif

I have my answer now, thanks!! good.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.