lbounds

How much do you send to your wife's family monthly ?

74 posts in this topic

Probably everyone will have a different answer to the question. We have a regular amount of $250 we send them each month but the problem is the unexpected extras of medical expenses, medicines etc. There often seems to be something coming up that's a few extra hundreds here and there.

In the past two years we have helped them in buying a motorcyle for taxi business and one family member start a business as a street food vendor. I had hopes that they would become self supportive at least a bit. No idea how much money they can even make with those businesses in a small town. I hoped at least they would be able to put a little aside for emergencies like needing medicines, doctors visits etc. It never seems to happen going on 2 years now.

Our own financial situation here is we are about 25k in debt and only rent an apartment. Unfortunately my wife is stuck in the middle between her family's requests and me concerned about paying our own bills.

K1 timeline :

1/11/10 - I-129F sent to California Service Center

1/19/10 - NOA1

2/18/10 - moved and changed address on USCIS site

2/19/10 - touched

3/10/10 - touched

3/10/10 - NOA2, hardcopy recieved 3/12

3/16/10 - Left NVC, recieved MNL case #

3/22/10 - USEM recieved

4/19/10 - Passed Medical

4/28/10 - Interview - Approved

4/30/10 - Picked up Visa and completed CFO

5/5/10 - POE - Honolulu, Hawaii

5/6/10 - married in Hawaii

AOS timeline:

7/8/10 - received SSN Card

7/16/10 - reported US marriage for RP records

10/18/10 - AOS delivered in Chicago

10/25/10 - NOA1

11/04/10 - Biometrics Letter Received

11/23/10 - Biometrics Completed

11/24/10 - touched

11/26/10 - touched

02/14/11 - AOS approved at Interview, GC ordered

02/22/11 - GC arrives in mail

ROC Timeline:

12/17/12 - I-751 sent to California Service Center

12/20/12 - NOA1 arrives in mail

1/14/13 - Biometrics appointment

4/11/13 - RC Approved at Interview

4/22/13 - 10 Year Green Card arrived in mail

event.png

Always Thankful for God's blessings on our lives..

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I personally send about the same amount to colombia. its not to my in laws either(since they hate me). i send money to my niece's mom. I pay for her schooling and expense( my brother in law is a dead beat). I am currently helping her mother to open a business in bogota selling things from the usa. Hopefully this i will lift the strain so much on me because she will have income. but i totally agree that it can get outta control. at one point i was sending over 500 a month. but i since have changed my preferences on what she can and cannot have. and whats a luxary vs whats a neccesity

AOS JOURNEY

02/24/2012---MAILED I-485,I-130,I-765, TO CHICAGO LOCKBOX
03/05/2012---CHECKS CASHED BY USCIS
03/08/2012---I-765 WAS TOUCHED
03/17/2012--RECIEVED RECIEPT NOTICE FOR I-485,I-130,I-765
03/23/2012---RECIEVED BIOMET
RICS APPOINTMENT
04/05/2012--I-485 RFE MAILED
04/07/2012--I-485 RFE RECIEVED
04/10/2012---RFE REPLY WAS SENT TO USCIS FOR I-485
04/10/2012---WENT TO BIOMETRICS APPOINTMENT IN ELIZABETH NJ(NOW THE NEWARK OFFICE)

04/18/2012---RFE RECIEVD BY USCIS
05/21/2012--- EAD APPROVED CARD PRODUCTION EMAIL RECEIVED
05/24/2012--- SECOND EAD PRODUCTION EMAIL
06/26/2012-- AOS INTERVIEW!!!!!!!!!
06/28/2012----APPROVED/CARD PRODUCTION EMAIL
07/07/2012-----10 YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVES

N-400 NATURALIZTION

03/21/2016--- MAILED/FILED N-400

03/24/2016 ---- PACKAGED DELIVERED

03/28/2016---- NOA RECIEPT NOTICE RECIEVED

04/08/2016--- BIOMETRIC SCHEDULED

04/22/2016-- BIOMETRIC DONE

06/20/2016--- INTERVIEW SCHEDULES

07/29/2016--- INTERVIEW/OATH

07/30/2016--- REGISTERED TO VOTE/PASSPORT

event.png

xweHm7.png
REPLACEMENT I-94 JOURNEY
01/20/2012--I-102 MAILED
01/27/2012--USCIS RECIEVED PETITION
02/02/2012--RECIEPT NOTICED RECIEVED
03/05/2012--RFE MAILED
03/10/2012--RFE RECIEVDD
04/05/2012---RFE REPLIED TO
04/17/2012--USCIS RECIVED IT AND IS UNDER REVIEW
07/11/2012-- STILL IS UNDER REVIEW HAHA

Filed: Timeline

Yep. You got to stop that stuff. I don't send anything to her family. I told the wife if she wants to send money back home, get a job. She did, and she does, and she hates the way they keep asking for more and more. It is never enough, they don't say thanks, and her parents keep trying new ways to extort more money from her and her siblings, two brothers in the US and one sister in Taiwan. The parents had a boarding house and a restaurant in Manila not too far from several universities, and made a fair living. Now they do nothing at all, except the mom takes trips all over the place, and the dad plays the lottery. Only one person in the family knows how to manage money, her brother, and he put them on a small allowance, ignoring them otherwise. It is hard for my wife to say no, but she is learning. She just cut off one of her nieces that became too demanding, unfriending her and blocking her from Facebook.

When she was living in the Philippines, my wife worked to put all her siblings through school, and later, had to give her paycheck to her mom, as well as scrub pans in the restaurant, and change linens in the boarding house and in her brothers' rooms. They didn't treat her well, almost like a slave. I don't know why she feels she still has an obligation to them, just for bringing her into the world.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Serbia
Timeline

When I first came here my parents used to send money like a hundred here and there to my fathers parents but that stopped once they came here. Now that my husband is here and his whole family is over there I've thought about it and sometimes even said to my husband send a hundred to your dad. But my husband is smarter than I am he says the only time he will send money is when we aren't struggling to live here and that's not anytime soon. I don't think people that come here should be a meal ticket for the ones back there. What would they do if we never came here? Who would help them out? It isn't fair to us especially when we are taking money that we can really use and sending it over there.

[font="Century Gothic"]Married March 27, 2010
Sent out I-130 December 29, 2010
Recieved NOA 1 January 4, 2011
Touched January 6, 2011
Recieved NOA 2 May 9, 2011
Interview September 27, 2011
Visa in hand Septmeber 30, 2011 (it would of been the same day as the interview but they requested some more info)
POE - JFK, NYC October 12, 2011 [/font]

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;0;23/st/20100327/e/Since+our+wedding/k/ccbb/event.png[/img]
[/url]

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

First of all, are you aware that $250/month is classified as a high income household in Phils?

The vast majority of households do not make this sort of income.

A security guard makes like $110-150, this is when he is not off of his contract.

What you send is a manager's monthly income.

The problem you have now is that you already opened a precedent, or should I say precedents with all the other extra monies you sent. So, the pressure on you,your wife and consequently in your relationship will continue forever, that's a giving.

IMHO, your only way out is to stop. The issue is how.

I would suggest establish a plan to phase down this bleeding and you MUST stick to it.

Don't give in to any of the black mail that certainly will come.

Trust me, you earn more respect by saying "NO" than giving in to any amount of money they request.

They will call you curiput, but I suspect they already do, so what's to loose on this part?

Edited by zzzlpr

"A man does not know how alive he can be until a sweet Pinay steals his heart."

my point of view

11/08/2007 - Annulment Process Started

08/21/2008 - Annulment Granted

09/05/2008 - Annulment Court Order Issued

09/10/2008 - Mailed I-129F

09/12/2008 - NOA1 Issued

01/29/2009 - NOA2 Issued

02/07/2009 - Manila Case Number Letter Received from NVC

03/02/2009 - Passed Medical

03/23/2009 - Interview

05/13/2009 - Arrived in US

06/01/2009 - Applied for SSN

06/02/2009 - Pending Immunizations done

06/05/2009 - Received SSN

06/22/2009 - Got Married "downtown" style

06/27/2009 - Requested sealed envelop with immunization form from Civil Dr.

07/03/2009 - Received sealed envelop from Dr.

07/14/2009 - Mailed the AOS

07/16/2009 - AOS arrived USCIS

07/20/2009 - AOS NOA1 Issued

08/21/2009 - Biometrics at local USCIS Office

09/10/2009 - Received EAD cards

11/17/2009 - AOS interview. Given a favorable decision.

11/27/2009 - Received the GC

10/07/2011 - Mailed the ROC

10/11/2011 - Arrived at VSC

10/18/2011 - ROC NOA Received (contains the 1 year extension)

11/14/2011 - Received ROC Biometrics Appointment Notification

12/09/2011 - ROC Biometrics

Timeline

When I first came here my parents used to send money like a hundred here and there to my fathers parents but that stopped once they came here. Now that my husband is here and his whole family is over there I've thought about it and sometimes even said to my husband send a hundred to your dad. But my husband is smarter than I am he says the only time he will send money is when we aren't struggling to live here and that's not anytime soon. I don't think people that come here should be a meal ticket for the ones back there. What would they do if we never came here? Who would help them out? It isn't fair to us especially when we are taking money that we can really use and sending it over there.

Depends on your financial status I guess. I pursued my fiancee, she did not pursue me. I met her through a friend who son is married to her friends sister. She happened to be one of my facebook friends. Every situation is different, so is every culture. How would they live without me being in their life, they would life as they always have and my fiancee would be there working to help the family unit survive. I have no regrets in helping her family. THey are not greedy and have never asked for any money. I give an allowance to help because I can afford to do it and my soon to be wife will have peace of mind that I took care of the responsiibility that she is obligated to do in her country, when I remove her from doing it to concentrate on our marriage, life together and starting our family. To each their own, but for one thing, no one can compare their situation to others, they are all different, different cultures, etc...

Timeline

First of all, are you aware that $250/month is classified as a high income household in Phils?

The vast majority of households do not make this sort of income.

A security guard makes like $110-150, this is when he is not off of his contract.

What you send is a manager's monthly income.

The problem you have now is that you already opened a precedent, or should I say precedents with all the other extra monies you sent. So, the pressure on you,your wife and consequently in your relationship will continue forever, that's a giving.

IMHO, your only way out is to stop. The issue is how.

I would suggest establish a plan to phase down this bleeding and you MUST stick to it.

Don't give in to any of the black mail that certainly will come.

Trust me, you earn more respect by saying "NO" than giving in to any amount of money they request.

They will call you curiput, but I suspect they already do, so what's to loose on this part?

Just curious as to how often you have been to the Philippines and seen how much things costs. I guess I am not curiput and you may call me bobo, but what I do for my fiancee and her family I do becasue I want to and can afford to. No one asks me for anything and I don't have her aunts, uncles, nieces or nephews asking for anything. She would not allow or tolerate it. I help her family ; i.e., mama, papa, and siblings because I want to, not because they want me too. When her father retires from the police force in 2 years, he will have a large retirement paid at once nad then I won't have to do anything. Amping.

Probably everyone will have a different answer to the question. We have a regular amount of $250 we send them each month but the problem is the unexpected extras of medical expenses, medicines etc. There often seems to be something coming up that's a few extra hundreds here and there.

In the past two years we have helped them in buying a motorcyle for taxi business and one family member start a business as a street food vendor. I had hopes that they would become self supportive at least a bit. No idea how much money they can even make with those businesses in a small town. I hoped at least they would be able to put a little aside for emergencies like needing medicines, doctors visits etc. It never seems to happen going on 2 years now.

Our own financial situation here is we are about 25k in debt and only rent an apartment. Unfortunately my wife is stuck in the middle between her family's requests and me concerned about paying our own bills.

You can read my replies to others on your posts. Take care.

we dont send any to my family back home. First because we have our own bills to pay nd second i dont have work yet. So even if i like my family to have an extra, i can't help them. What is great is that my family in the philippines understand my husband's financial situation and they are happy that i'm out of the house. I was dependent to my mother and im their burden. :rofl:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Serbia
Timeline

Depends on your financial status I guess. I pursued my fiancee, she did not pursue me. I met her through a friend who son is married to her friends sister. She happened to be one of my facebook friends. Every situation is different, so is every culture. How would they live without me being in their life, they would life as they always have and my fiancee would be there working to help the family unit survive. I have no regrets in helping her family. THey are not greedy and have never asked for any money. I give an allowance to help because I can afford to do it and my soon to be wife will have peace of mind that I took care of the responsiibility that she is obligated to do in her country, when I remove her from doing it to concentrate on our marriage, life together and starting our family. To each their own, but for one thing, no one can compare their situation to others, they are all different, different cultures, etc...

Yes Serbia is different from the Philipines but the parents have the same expectations in fact in Serbia the son usually stays with the family to take care of them or has them move in with him once they are older. My husbands family is poor (till two years ago they had lived in an immigration camp together with my husband) but I still believe that they can survive even without our help. If we sent them money it would help a little but as of now us sending that money would put as at a disadvantage since we are expecting and need to move out on our own and my husband is the only one working. If we hadd extra money than yes I think he would gladly agree to send them money but in my opinion that money should only go towards his parents care and not anyone elses. I guess that is just my opinion just like yours is your opinion. Our cultures might be way different but there are expectations with in every family and those expectations are met one or another way or adjusted over time. My husband and my future child will always top the needs of anyone be that in my family or his.

[font="Century Gothic"]Married March 27, 2010
Sent out I-130 December 29, 2010
Recieved NOA 1 January 4, 2011
Touched January 6, 2011
Recieved NOA 2 May 9, 2011
Interview September 27, 2011
Visa in hand Septmeber 30, 2011 (it would of been the same day as the interview but they requested some more info)
POE - JFK, NYC October 12, 2011 [/font]

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;0;23/st/20100327/e/Since+our+wedding/k/ccbb/event.png[/img]
[/url]

It is not the giving of money to the family that probably have some scratching their heads, it is the fact the remittances are causing financial strains for you. If the money sent back to the PHL is so great that the bills at home cannot be paid, this is a problem that must be fixed right away. Some have told me this is called "Filipina math" -- if I have five units of money, and I spend two units of money, I have five units of money remaining.

my blog: http://immigrationlawreformblog.blogspot.com/

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

-- Charles M. Province

Timeline

Just curious as to how often you have been to the Philippines and seen how much things costs. I guess I am not curiput and you may call me bobo, but what I do for my fiancee and her family I do becasue I want to and can afford to. No one asks me for anything and I don't have her aunts, uncles, nieces or nephews asking for anything. She would not allow or tolerate it. I help her family ; i.e., mama, papa, and siblings because I want to, not because they want me too. When her father retires from the police force in 2 years, he will have a large retirement paid at once nad then I won't have to do anything. Amping.

You can read my replies to others on your posts. Take care.

First of all, I was answering the OP, but since you asked for clarification, why not?

I've been in Phils many times, am married with a great pinay and among other things have 3 adult step anak Filipinos, who have their own families.

I am very familiar with the everyday life, and struggles, over there.

What you or the OP do with your money is your business. It is up to you to send it all, burn in your back yard or use it in any other way.

Oh...well... Another "philanthropist" that fell for the "it's Filipino culture" thing, the sad part is that one day you will find out, the hard way, what people over there really think about you.

or not if you keep the flow.

What if your wife had married a pinoy? What would be the expectations?

Let's be real, not even close to what they've got now.

Wishing you the best.

"A man does not know how alive he can be until a sweet Pinay steals his heart."

my point of view

11/08/2007 - Annulment Process Started

08/21/2008 - Annulment Granted

09/05/2008 - Annulment Court Order Issued

09/10/2008 - Mailed I-129F

09/12/2008 - NOA1 Issued

01/29/2009 - NOA2 Issued

02/07/2009 - Manila Case Number Letter Received from NVC

03/02/2009 - Passed Medical

03/23/2009 - Interview

05/13/2009 - Arrived in US

06/01/2009 - Applied for SSN

06/02/2009 - Pending Immunizations done

06/05/2009 - Received SSN

06/22/2009 - Got Married "downtown" style

06/27/2009 - Requested sealed envelop with immunization form from Civil Dr.

07/03/2009 - Received sealed envelop from Dr.

07/14/2009 - Mailed the AOS

07/16/2009 - AOS arrived USCIS

07/20/2009 - AOS NOA1 Issued

08/21/2009 - Biometrics at local USCIS Office

09/10/2009 - Received EAD cards

11/17/2009 - AOS interview. Given a favorable decision.

11/27/2009 - Received the GC

10/07/2011 - Mailed the ROC

10/11/2011 - Arrived at VSC

10/18/2011 - ROC NOA Received (contains the 1 year extension)

11/14/2011 - Received ROC Biometrics Appointment Notification

12/09/2011 - ROC Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.