Janshark

POE Yesterday, April 16

18 posts in this topic

After much tension regarding importing my vehicles and not receiving the compliance letter in time (and finding out I could do the paperwork later), I made a run for the border on Monday.

I got to DHL/Loomis in Burnaby around noon and picked up my package including my passport and a big envelope marked "do not open". I got to the Pacific border crossing around 1 and had a 45 minute wait to cross. The reason I picked Pacific over Peace Arch is that Peace Arch was under construction the last time I went through. My mode of transportation is a 40 foot motorhome towing a Jeep for a total of 58 feet and with the way my Jeep is attached to the motorhome, I can't back up. I knew from many years of experience that I wouldn't have to worry about that at Pacific.

I pulled into the check point/booth thing. The CBP guy asked me the purpose of my visit. I handed him my passport and said I was activating my K-1 Visa. He asked me how many people - just me. He asked me if I had any pets with me - yes, my dog. What kind - chocolate lab. He gave me a sticky slip of paper attached to my passport, pointed me over to the holding area and said that someone would be there to direct me. I saw him radio ahead (although it was probably only 400 feet). Another border guard showed me where to park. I opened the door and he said he needed my keys so they could search the motorhome. He also needed the keys to the Jeep and the key (and directions to) the onboard safe. I showed him where it was, built into the night table and behind my horse saddles (2) on a saddle stand. i said good luck getting to it. I told him what was in there, a bank draft for $9800.00 U.S. I was directed to take my dog over to an outside kennel area for safekeeping while I went inside to do the paperwork.

I went inside with my purse, passport and the envelope that I picked up at Loomis. Got in line and waited to be called over when it was my turn. After a few minutes I was called over to another guard who asked me why I was there. I said I'm activating my K-1 Visa and handed over the package and my Passport and the piece of paper I received outside. He took a look and said, well, I haven't done a K-1 before so give me a couple of minutes. He left me standing there and wandered off, I assume to find out how to do one. He told me later that he'd been there 6 months and never seen a K-1 before.

I could try and describe everything that was said and done but it's not that interesting. My main guard and pretty much anyone else that came over to see what we were doing kept asking me how I met my fiance. I got laughs when I said he picked me up in a bar in Tombstone, AZ. I wondered later if it was to see if my answer was consistent. I know that at least 3 and maybe 4 dogs went through the motorhome and jeep (drugs, weapons, money (yes currency, they have dogs to smell that) and I can't remember what the 4th one was for, bombs maybe?

So we finished the visa stuff and then it came time to do the paperwork for the vehicles. The motorhome was easy. It was made in the U.S. and I had imported it to Canada so it was just a case of taking it back. The Jeep, as it turns out, was made in the U.S. so it wasn't a problem at all and my guard did all the paperwork and I'm good to go. I paid my $6.00 at the cashier (have exact change - she likes it better and no coins) and went back out to the RV and Jeep and headed off.

I had to turn in the sticky piece of paper at a guard booth and I was out of there. I did notice later that night and the next day (today) that my saddles had been moved (back on the saddle stand in the wrong order) and boxes in my Jeep had been opened. I had nothing to hide so I got a kick out of the whole dogs seaching my stuff thing.

Congratulations to anyone that makes it out of Customs in under an hour. I was there for 90 minutes, just standing there while he filled out computer forms. And I have to admit I had fun kibbitzing with any of the guards that came by - they were all curious to see what we were doing. I joked about my guard having to do his first K-1 and how it was his lucky day.

In the end I shook hands with him and it was all good. I waved goodbye to the other guards that were in there who had been watching the proceedings from their stations. Now keep in mind, I'm not a kid - I'm a 52 year old woman and I really wasn't nervous about the whole thing, other than not having a compliance letter for the Jeep, which I didn't need anyway.

So tonight I'm in Mountain Home, Idaho, at a lovely rv park that I have stayed at before. Tomorrow it will be Provo, Utah, then somewhere in northern Arizona on Thursday and not sure of my timetable after that except I expect to see my man again on Saturday after a full year apart. We haven't actually picked a wedding date although I'm voting for May 5... what better day to marry an Hispanic man than Cinco de Mayo!!

Thanks to everyone on this website. I couldn't have done this without you. I feel very lucky to have found this forum. And when it comes time to do AOS in a couple of weeks, to quote Arnold S. "I'll be back"!!

Cheers,

Jan, formerly of Canada

Soon to be of Bisbee, Arizona

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Congratulations :):dance::star: on your arrival to the US. Wish you the best on your wedding.

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Congratulations!!! :thumbs:

Met online : 2009
Married : 07/28/2010

USCIS
Send I-130 : 06/08/2011
Touched : 06/13/2011
got a NOA1 by e-mail and SMS : 06/15/2011
got "I-797C" hard copy of NOA1 : 06/20/2011
got RFE "I-797E" : 10/15/2011
RFE Reply : 12/15/2011
Touched : 12/16/2011
I-130 Approved : 12/20/2011
got "I-797" hard copy of NOA2 : 12/24/2011
Your I-130 was approved in 183 days from your NOA1 date.

NVC
NVC Case Number : 01/13/2012
Pay "$88" AOS Bill and e-mailed DS-3032 : 02/08/2012
Email from NVC, DS-3032 Accepted : 02/09/2012
AOS Fee Shows PAID : 02/09/2012
IV fee invoiced "$404" : 02/10/2012
IV fee invoiced "$230" : 04/18/2012
Pay "$230" IV Bill : 04/30/2012
IV Fee Shows PAID : 05/02/2012
Send AOS and IV packet : 06/09/2012
AOS and IV packet Received : 06/22/2012
Case completed at NVC : 06/29/2012

Interview Date : 08/28/2012 "Denied"

Case Reaffirmed : 07/16/2013

Second interview - Approved : 10/24/2013

Visa Issued : 10/29/2013

Visa in hand : 10/31/2013

For more details please visit my timeline

485.gif

Filed: Timeline

After much tension regarding importing my vehicles and not receiving the compliance letter in time (and finding out I could do the paperwork later), I made a run for the border on Monday.

I got to DHL/Loomis in Burnaby around noon and picked up my package including my passport and a big envelope marked "do not open". I got to the Pacific border crossing around 1 and had a 45 minute wait to cross. The reason I picked Pacific over Peace Arch is that Peace Arch was under construction the last time I went through. My mode of transportation is a 40 foot motorhome towing a Jeep for a total of 58 feet and with the way my Jeep is attached to the motorhome, I can't back up. I knew from many years of experience that I wouldn't have to worry about that at Pacific.

I pulled into the check point/booth thing. The CBP guy asked me the purpose of my visit. I handed him my passport and said I was activating my K-1 Visa. He asked me how many people - just me. He asked me if I had any pets with me - yes, my dog. What kind - chocolate lab. He gave me a sticky slip of paper attached to my passport, pointed me over to the holding area and said that someone would be there to direct me. I saw him radio ahead (although it was probably only 400 feet). Another border guard showed me where to park. I opened the door and he said he needed my keys so they could search the motorhome. He also needed the keys to the Jeep and the key (and directions to) the onboard safe. I showed him where it was, built into the night table and behind my horse saddles (2) on a saddle stand. i said good luck getting to it. I told him what was in there, a bank draft for $9800.00 U.S. I was directed to take my dog over to an outside kennel area for safekeeping while I went inside to do the paperwork.

I went inside with my purse, passport and the envelope that I picked up at Loomis. Got in line and waited to be called over when it was my turn. After a few minutes I was called over to another guard who asked me why I was there. I said I'm activating my K-1 Visa and handed over the package and my Passport and the piece of paper I received outside. He took a look and said, well, I haven't done a K-1 before so give me a couple of minutes. He left me standing there and wandered off, I assume to find out how to do one. He told me later that he'd been there 6 months and never seen a K-1 before.

I could try and describe everything that was said and done but it's not that interesting. My main guard and pretty much anyone else that came over to see what we were doing kept asking me how I met my fiance. I got laughs when I said he picked me up in a bar in Tombstone, AZ. I wondered later if it was to see if my answer was consistent. I know that at least 3 and maybe 4 dogs went through the motorhome and jeep (drugs, weapons, money (yes currency, they have dogs to smell that) and I can't remember what the 4th one was for, bombs maybe?

So we finished the visa stuff and then it came time to do the paperwork for the vehicles. The motorhome was easy. It was made in the U.S. and I had imported it to Canada so it was just a case of taking it back. The Jeep, as it turns out, was made in the U.S. so it wasn't a problem at all and my guard did all the paperwork and I'm good to go. I paid my $6.00 at the cashier (have exact change - she likes it better and no coins) and went back out to the RV and Jeep and headed off.

I had to turn in the sticky piece of paper at a guard booth and I was out of there. I did notice later that night and the next day (today) that my saddles had been moved (back on the saddle stand in the wrong order) and boxes in my Jeep had been opened. I had nothing to hide so I got a kick out of the whole dogs seaching my stuff thing.

Congratulations to anyone that makes it out of Customs in under an hour. I was there for 90 minutes, just standing there while he filled out computer forms. And I have to admit I had fun kibbitzing with any of the guards that came by - they were all curious to see what we were doing. I joked about my guard having to do his first K-1 and how it was his lucky day.

In the end I shook hands with him and it was all good. I waved goodbye to the other guards that were in there who had been watching the proceedings from their stations. Now keep in mind, I'm not a kid - I'm a 52 year old woman and I really wasn't nervous about the whole thing, other than not having a compliance letter for the Jeep, which I didn't need anyway.

So tonight I'm in Mountain Home, Idaho, at a lovely rv park that I have stayed at before. Tomorrow it will be Provo, Utah, then somewhere in northern Arizona on Thursday and not sure of my timetable after that except I expect to see my man again on Saturday after a full year apart. We haven't actually picked a wedding date although I'm voting for May 5... what better day to marry an Hispanic man than Cinco de Mayo!!

Thanks to everyone on this website. I couldn't have done this without you. I feel very lucky to have found this forum. And when it comes time to do AOS in a couple of weeks, to quote Arnold S. "I'll be back"!!

Cheers,

Jan, formerly of Canada

Soon to be of Bisbee, Arizona

Welcome to the U.S.! Pardon the political intrusion, but from now on, living in Arizona, your USC fiancee is more likely to have issues with border patrol than you are.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congrats on a smooth crossing a Jan! Do you have a hard time hauling that huge motor home around? Sounds a little intimidating!

On a side note, my aunt is a CBP agent that raises currency sniffing dogs. They are pretty amazing!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Congrats!!!!! For getting across without any problems, AND your upcoming wedding!! My most major sigh of relief was getting across that border! My crossing at Manitoba/ND has been notorious for trouble on both sides of crossing. They are often in the news.

I only had a car full of stuff, and was suprised that they never even checked anything. They would have seen lots of HP sauce, Fleichmens rising yeast (american stuff just does not get fluffy enough) and half a back seat of Old Dutch potato chips and a huge bag of Canadian chocolate bars!! (Which my man ate the last one yesterday :wacko: )

June 08 - Met online playing COV/COH

July 09 - Met in person, 3 week vacation

Dec 09 - Stayed with boyfriend for a few months visit

Sept 10 - BF visited me for one week

Feb 11 - BF visited again, Proposed, ENGAGED

March 22/11 - Mailed k-1 packet

March 29/11 - Recieved

June 22/11 RFE (more evidence of meeting)

July 12/11 sent in more goodies

July 30/11 NOA 2 approved

Aug 22/11 Packet 3 done

Oct 21/11 booked interview

Dec 7/11 Medical (no problems)

Dec 8/11 Interview in Vancouver - APPROVED!!

POE 3/12

Married April 21 2012

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.