Emerald

Obtaining Credit Report for US Citizen

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

My husband is a US citizen and i'm from Aussie. Hubbies credit wasn't very good 5yrs ago, however we got it all paid off and he owes nothing. He hasn't lived in the USA for 5yrs, but we are returning there next september roughly. As i'm not from there and i hear it's hard to get credit, we are hoping to go of hubbies credit history for store cards etc, or anything to get my credit going.

Hubby has no idea where or who we talk to to obtain his credit report, and how it is looking.

Does anyone know a legit place to get his credit report? We are juust curious to see how good it is before we move.

He is hopeless and can't tel me where to go for it, i look it up on the net, but there are so many people saying they can give you a credit report but hubby is not keen on giving his SSN out to anyone but a legit place.

So if anyone can help i'd appreciate it.

Thanks

EM

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

Each year every american is entitiled to a free annual credit report. I have used this in the past and got my reports and printed them off my home pc. Good luck.

Mary

Everything I respond to is from personal knowledge, research or experience and I am in no means a lawyer or do I claim to be one. Everyone should read, research and be responsible for your own journey.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Each year every american is entitiled to a free annual credit report. I have used this in the past and got my reports and printed them off my home pc. Good luck.

Mary

If you want to get his credit score, I believe you need to pay a small amount of fee (around $9.00). At least that's what I needed to do last year. The free part of the report will only show his credit activity, not the score.

Me- Indonesia & hubby - US

married in Vancouver, Canada

USCIS-free for 10 years !

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Just because debt is paid off doesn't necessarily mean a low credit score!

It's based on many more factors than that. The link Mary gave you is excellent!!

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

You would have to pay a fee...

I use www.truecredit.com.

And it gives you a combined report (from all 3 credit agencies). And it's true, because your debt is paid off, it does not mean that you have an A-OK credit score. Did he close his credit cards? does he have any accounts open in the US?

Having a low debt ratio, and having credit accounts with good long standing history is what makes a good credit.

Been reading tons, and no I am not the USC.

Good luck!

Our visa Journey ~~~~ 226 days

Removing Conditions on ~~~ May 2008

Our first anniversary ~~~ November 12, 2006

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline
You would have to pay a fee...

I use www.truecredit.com.

And it gives you a combined report (from all 3 credit agencies). And it's true, because your debt is paid off, it does not mean that you have an A-OK credit score. Did he close his credit cards? does he have any accounts open in the US?

Having a low debt ratio, and having credit accounts with good long standing history is what makes a good credit.

Been reading tons, and no I am not the USC.

Good luck!

You can get one free from each of the reporting agencies once a year. Its the law!!

Follow the ling provided by Mary.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

<<You can get one free from each of the reporting agencies once a year. Its the law!!

Follow the ling provided by Mary.>>

Mary's link doesn't work for IP's outside the USA, and the other link offered won't let you input a foreign address. Is there a site that will let you check your credit score from overseas? and if you know you have unpaid debts but have no idea who they are, how do you find out so you can pay them off??

thanks,

anna

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline
<<You can get one free from each of the reporting agencies once a year. Its the law!!

Follow the ling provided by Mary.>>

Mary's link doesn't work for IP's outside the USA, and the other link offered won't let you input a foreign address. Is there a site that will let you check your credit score from overseas? and if you know you have unpaid debts but have no idea who they are, how do you find out so you can pay them off??

thanks,

anna

go directly to the websites of the big-3 and see if they work from O/S

they are Equifax, Experian and TransUnion

you should be able to find their web-sites with a simple search.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline

Normally, it will say in your accounts on your cr what happened to it. Probably sold to a collection agency after 120 days. If it doesn't directly say in the account screen who it was sold to, look in your inquiries for companies that you have no idea who they are. Google them and it could turn out that they are the collection agency that has your account or if not anymore, can at least tell you who they sold it to. Also check the SOL of the state you last had residency in and/or accured the debt in. They may have ran out. Don't pay anything until you know for sure. Pay one cent and you have totally reset the clock. Also get everything in writing.

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

The credit cards we just paid up i believe, i don't think we closed them off. We were paying to a debt collection agency. Apparently he is getting credit card offers at his old address (his parents address) but i think they are throwing them out as he's not there. Wil have to check.

And it's true, because your debt is paid off, it does not mean that you have an A-OK credit score

I know this, thats why we want to see HOW his credit is!!!!! At this stage we have no idea to his score. He had two credit cards a SEARS store card, and i don't know what the other was but both were paid up 5yrs back. He has never had a student loan.

We want to know his credit as obviously i won't have any, and if his is screwed up, then what do we do ????? Get me going on credit?

WIll see how we go with credit reports.

Thanks for the speedy replies

Edited by Emerald

• 4 months later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

Hi there,

Please read below:

------------------------------------

Contact Us

To dispute information in your credit report or for problems with the Credit Reporting Agencies, you

must contact Equifax, Experian, or TransUnion directly.

www.equifax.com

www.experian.com

www.transunion.com

Also see Frequently Asked Questions for additional information.

To provide a suggestion or make comments about the Annual Credit Report Request Service, send your

correspondence to:

Annual Credit Report Request Service

PO Box 105283

Atlanta, GA 30348-5283

OR

Use the Consumer Comment Form

Last Updated November 15, 2006

© 2007 Central Source LLC

-----------------------------

To Request your Credit Report by Phone:

Call 1-877-322-8228

You will go through a simple verification process over the phone.

Your reports will be mailed to you within 15 days. Please, allow 2-3 weeks for delivery.

To Request your Credit Report by Mail:

Download the request form (You need an Adobe viewer to view the requested form. Download the free Adobe viewer)

Print and complete the form

Mail the completed form to:

Annual Credit Report Request Service

P.O. Box 105281

Atlanta, GA 30348-5281

Your reports will be mailed to you within 15 days. Please, allow 2-3 weeks for delivery.

Security:

Please use the request form authorized by the Central Source only.

Only the Central Source, and its members - Equifax (www.equifax.com), Experian (www.experian.com) and TransUnion (www.transunion.com), have been authorized by law and the government (www.FTC.gov) to provide free credit reports as described on this site. We cannot ensure your personal information will be kept secure and used for proper purposes if you use forms or provide information to persons, addresses, numbers, etc. not authorized by this site or the entities listed above.

If you are under 13 years of age or you are requesting a credit report for you child under 13 years of age, please refer to mail request for a child under 13 in the FAQs section.

------------------------------------------

You may contact them in writing or over the phone, and ask for specific guidance regarding your particular case.

Regards,

Vik

2006-10-16 - Mailed out I-129

2006-10-24 - Received NOA1 from CSC

2007-01-24 - NOA2 - Approved !!! - Yes!

2007-01-30 - NOA2 - arrived in the mail

2007-02-01 - NVC - Receipt Confirmation date

2007-02-05 - NVC - Receipt arrived in the mail. Case number assigned.

2007-02-09 - Receive at US Emassy - Bucharest - Romania

2007-02-12 - Packet 3 received in the mail

2007-02-14 - Packet 3 shipped back to Embassy

2007-02-23 - Medical exam - Done

2007-02-28 - Visa Interview - VISA in hand ...

2007-04-22 - We broke up

2007-06-16 - Decided to give the 2nd chance

2007-07-02 - Arrival in the US - POE - Denver Intl Airport

2007-09-29 - We've got married!

2007-10-15 - AOS-EAD-AP mailed out

2007-10-25 - NOA

2007-11-29 - Biometrics appointment - DONE!

2007-12-20 - AP - received

2007-12-27 - EAD card received

2007-12-28 - Apply for SSN

--- troubles with EAD verification for SSN----

2007-02-14 - SSN Received

2008-03-11 - AOS Interview - Passed - Green card in the mail within a month

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.