dukeandduchess

Ughhhh - AOS questions!

31 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I would try calling to find out if you can pick one up in person sooner. They might be able to speed it up with special requests.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm sure you can pick it up sooner. Now of course each state might vary a bit, and that's cool.

Here in NV the back of the marriage "registration" filled out by the pastor stated 2-3 weeks by mail or 7-10 days when picking it up in person.

We got ours in 48 hours at the county clerks office. 15 bucks for the first copy and 5 for each additional if I remember correctly.

Good thing we got a half dozen copies of them. EVERYONE wants to get their hands on a copy when it comes to name changes and all that jazz. DMV, passport, health and life insurance buggas, the bank, SSN, you name it. Hell even the bloody cable company wanted a copy to change her name over.

We are glad we grabbed a bunch of them when we did.....as it made for a heck of a smooth transition in this regard. Then again, she's the American so this might not apply for most cases concerning "incoming" Canadians as in my case......just a side note for anyone coming across this thread in the future for a similar situation I guess. My advice would be to contact the county clerk and pick it up. And when there....grab a bunch of them lol.

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

So I got married - yay!!! Now preparing for AOS - yay more paperwork!

Rant: I got my 2nd vaccination for Varicella done AFTER my medical so now I have to get a civil surgeon verify my immunization record. Lowest price I've been quoted is 70$. I wish I waited.... Every Dr's office I call tries to get me to pay for a physical/blood work/x-ray.

Question 1: Has anyone found a civil surgeon in the Los Angeles area that will verify my Vaccination record for UNDER $70?

Question 2: When we got married we got a "Customer Copy" paper that says "License and Certificate of Marriage" -- is this enough to use as our Marriage Certificate or do we have to wait the 6-8 weeks for them to mail our certified copy? (Yes, I am aware that we may get an RFE if it is not a certified copy)

Thank you all so much! Back to being an immigration noob :)

You can probably get it sooner. In Chicago they told me to wait a month, it was ready in 3 days..i picked it up after 7.

HWDWm6.png

I live in Maryland and we didn't bother mailing ours in...we just went right to the courthouse and got the certified copies right then and there. Perhaps you could go there and see if they got yours in the mail and maybe they can do it on the spot?

formerly sherrybaby

ROC Process

12-13-2013 * 90 day window to apply opens

02-24-2014 * ROC package sent to USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-25-2014 * ROC package received at USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-26-2014 * NOA1 notice date

02-28-2014 * Cheque cashed

03-05-2014 * Biometrics notice date

03-28-2014 * Biometrics Appointment in Baltimore

Timeline

I live in Maryland and we didn't bother mailing ours in...we just went right to the courthouse and got the certified copies right then and there. Perhaps you could go there and see if they got yours in the mail and maybe they can do it on the spot?

We did the same in VA, just walked into the court house and got the certified copies immediately.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

Great suggestions. Thanks everyone! I'm going to call and see if we are able to get a copy in person :)

Update: I called them and although we can get a copy in person, it won't be ready for 6 weeks from the date of marriage.

Ugh.

Timeline

Update: I called them and although we can get a copy in person, it won't be ready for 6 weeks from the date of marriage.

Ugh.

That's not so horrible, at least you can get everything else ready and hopefully it will arrive early! Fingers crossed

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Sorry to intrude on this thread, but I noticed mention about having to finish off your HPV vaccination. I didn't notice that as one of the requirements for the vaccinations, unless I'm somehow missint it. My daughter chose not to get those shots.

Are these really required??

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Sorry to intrude on this thread, but I noticed mention about having to finish off your HPV vaccination. I didn't notice that as one of the requirements for the vaccinations, unless I'm somehow missint it. My daughter chose not to get those shots.

Are these really required??

WAS required back in 2009. They removed the requirement sometime between Aug 2009 and April 2010 (when I AOS'd it wasn't required anymore). Not required anymore.

WAS required back in 2009. They removed the requirement sometime between Aug 2009 and April 2010 (when I AOS'd it wasn't required anymore). Not required anymore.

Great, thanks so much for clearing that up for me! :yes:

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

UPDATE: Got my Certified marriage certificate in the mail today (Less than 2 weeks after our wedding).

Thank you state of California for stressing me the hell out for nothing. <3

Things are looking up !

I'm so glad to hear you got your marriage cert. sooner! I'll be getting married in CA too and planned to file AOS straight away. I was getting worried too, when you said 6-8 weeks. Thank goodness it's not so long!

So, hijacking the thread a bit.... is the DS-2035 something you receive at some point in the process? (ie at POE or something). Granted, my medical isn't approved yet, but I understand that it's a "do not open" package anyway. Where/when do you get the vaccination sheet from?

Thanks!

The K-1 Visa journey for myself and my two K-2 children:

K-1: NOA1 2011-8-10; NOA2 2012-1-12; Interview 2012-4-24; Visa issued 2012-9-17; POE (Sarnia) 2012-9-26; Wedding! 2012-10-02
AOS: NOA1 2012-11-20; Biometrics 2012-12-14; AP/EAD approved 2013-1-11; Interview 2013-1-31; 2-yr Green cards in hand 2013-2-9 (101 days total)

ROC: NOA1 11-7-14; Biometrics 12-1-14; 10-yr Green cards ordered 4-13-15! (157 days total)

Counting down to naturalization time!

Timeline

I'm so glad to hear you got your marriage cert. sooner! I'll be getting married in CA too and planned to file AOS straight away. I was getting worried too, when you said 6-8 weeks. Thank goodness it's not so long!

So, hijacking the thread a bit.... is the DS-2035 something you receive at some point in the process? (ie at POE or something). Granted, my medical isn't approved yet, but I understand that it's a "do not open" package anyway. Where/when do you get the vaccination sheet from?

Thanks!

After the medical, you'll get the medical in a 'do not open' envelope and they should also give you a standalone copy of the vaccination sheet. You keep that for when you AOS.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.