laurenbahia

Big Ceremony after Civil Ceremony

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi. I am new to this forum and have been doing a lot of research about bringing my fiancee to the USA with me. We both currently live in Japan, and I am from the US and he is from the UK. We are planning to send off our application for the K-1 visa this week and we have been talking a lot about weddings. I really want to have a big proper wedding, but there will not be enough time to plan a wedding within 3 months of getting to the US, especially since we both live in Japan.

So, I am curious. How many of you plan to, or have had, a big ceremony after your civil ceremony? Did it seem strange to get technically married and then have a big wedding? Were you pleased to take the time to plan a real wedding? Did you do a ceremony with a wedding dress and walking down the aisle and everything, or just a reception type thing?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi. I am new to this forum and have been doing a lot of research about bringing my fiancee to the USA with me. We both currently live in Japan, and I am from the US and he is from the UK. We are planning to send off our application for the K-1 visa this week and we have been talking a lot about weddings. I really want to have a big proper wedding, but there will not be enough time to plan a wedding within 3 months of getting to the US, especially since we both live in Japan.

So, I am curious. How many of you plan to, or have had, a big ceremony after your civil ceremony? Did it seem strange to get technically married and then have a big wedding? Were you pleased to take the time to plan a real wedding? Did you do a ceremony with a wedding dress and walking down the aisle and everything, or just a reception type thing?

We are planning on a civil ceremony when Evelyn arrives in the states. That will give us time to prepare for a formal church wedding in the Philippines. I don't think it will seem strange because they will be such completely different events. As for will we feel like we are getting married twice? Hmmm . . . actually, we already feel we are married, and have both said that when we are finally legally married, it will not change anything.

October 1, 2005 . . . . Evelyn and I met online

March 8, 2006 . . . . Traveled to Phils for first face-2-face . . . Oh, my god! . . . Wow!!!

March 21, 2006 . . . . I-129F Packet Sent

March 30, 2006 . . . . NOA1 Received

May 25, 2006 . . . . Traveled to Phils for Evelyn's June 1st Bday

June 1, 2006 . . . . Application transferred from Lincoln, NE to California

July 5, 2006 . . . . IMBRA-RFE Request Received

July 6, 2006 . . . . IMBRA-RFE Information Sent

July 13, 2006 . . . . IMBRA-RFE Information Received Ack from USCIS

September 11, 2006 . . . . Email from USCIS - CASE APPROVED !!!!!!

September 15, 2006 . . . . Third trip to Phils . . . dragged kicking and screaming to my flight home

September 16, 2006 . . . . NOA2 Received !!!

October 16 . . . . NVC received packet

October 17 . . . NVC forwards packet to Manila

October 23 . . . Manila receives Visa packet

Timeline

I think the most important thing is to get married within the allowed 90 days of the visa. If you plan on a big wedding then civil is probably the best way to go. There will be a lot of stress leading up to and after the interview process at the US consulate. The last thing you want is the stress of planning a big wedding. After you are married legally, then you can relax and plan the big event down to the last detail. That's what me and my Mira plan to do.

02-20-07 INTERVIEW!!! APPROVED!!!

02-27-07 Visa Delivered (Makati)

02-28-07 Arrive Tucson, Thanks God!

03-13-07 Got marriage license

03-16-07 Apply for SSN

03-29-07 SSN received

04-21-07 Wedding Tucson Botanical Gardens

05-02-07 Mailed AOS

05-03-07 AOS received Chicago

05-11-07 NOA1 receipt

05-29-07 Bio appt

05-30-07 touch

07-02-07 interview letter snailmail

08-27-07 INTERVIEW!

We are planning on a civil ceremony when Evelyn arrives in the states. That will give us time to prepare for a formal church wedding in the Philippines. I don't think it will seem strange because they will be such completely different events. As for will we feel like we are getting married twice? Hmmm . . . actually, we already feel we are married, and have both said that when we are finally legally married, it will not change anything.

My fiance and I will have a civil ceromony here and are also considering having a formal church wedding in the Philippines after a couple of years.

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

we are doing the same thing:

my fiance has a friend who has a license to marry people so we will just get married by him real quick. then we will have the big wedding a little later. we will exchange rings and do the vows and all this ceremony-stuff right before we start the reception at the same location, because we don't care much about church.

the important thing is to just get officially married asap, you can have the wedding a couple of months later or even much later if you want.

cheers

Summer 1998 ... beginning of our love

Fall 1998 .......... beginning of our long distance relationship

K1

03/2006 I-129F filed

07/2006 I-129F approved

10/2006 visa received

AOS

11/2006 AOS filed

02/2007 conditional Green Card in mail

Removal of Conditons

12/2008 I-751 filed

05/2009 Green Card in mail

Thank you VisaJourney

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

We had the Civil Ceremony and had a big wedding 10 months later... it made no difference at all...

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

We were civilly married by a notary here in SC shortly after Amed got here. We're having our big wedding in about 3 1/2 weeks. Only my immediate family (and USCIS) knows we're already legally married, and we don't present ourselves as married yet. We're having the wedding, ceremony and all, in front of family and friends, because we didn't have time to plan it within the 3 month time period given by USCIS, and wedding venues in my town book up months and months in advance.

We're going on our honeymoon the day after the wedding, and I'm so excited! This is the way we see it: why shouldn't we have the wedding of our dreams because we're having to deal with immigration timelines? Neither one of us has been married before, we've had a long distance relationship for five years, and we're finally able to be together and want to celebrate our union in front of family and friends just like other normal couples.

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a wonderful wedding!

4/15/06- Visa in hand!!!

4/21/06 Arrival in U.S.

5/11/06 Legal Marriage

11/4/06 Wedding

AOS

6/12/06 AOS, EAD, and AP papers sent off

6/26/06 NOA1 Date

7/17/06 Biometrics done

8/04/06 Case transferred to CSC

8/8/06 Case received at CSC

9/21/06 Greencard received!!!!

8/31/09 Naturalization- Done with USCIS

We had a small yet wonderful wedding in Denmark, just us and our best friends.

My husband's family is the bigger one and that is why we'll have our big party next September in the US- and I'm already organizing!

We have talked about the "ceremony or reception"- question and have decided to do something in between.

Everybody is (or will be once the invites will be send out) aware of the fact that our legal wedding has happened already, so all we'll do is say our own vows. That's something I've always wanted to do and think it might be nice to do so after having been married for just a little over a year, especially with this year being a very busy one...

The one thing I'm thinking about but can't decide on: what should I wear? The more I think about it the less I want to wear a "real" wedding gown because it won't be our wedding.

On our wedding I was wearing a simple white linen summer dress, maybe I should just wear that again.

Any thoughts on that, anybody?

short history:

2001 - met in Germany

April 2003 - fell in love

Aug 2004 - go to the US for internship

Feb 2005 - both return to Germany

Aug 2006 - getting married

DCF timeline:

09/01/2006 - filed the petition in Frankfurt

09/06/2006 - medical in Frankfurt

09/26/2006 - faxed checklist

10/05/2006 - received interview invite

11/01/2006 - INTERVIEW in Frankfurt - approved!

11/04/2006 - VISA IN HAND!!

12/21/2006 - POE San Francisco and ON TO SEA!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

We had a small ceremony at the registry in Melbourne Australia with 30 of his fam and friends...and one of my friends, LOL. My fam couldn't afford the trip.

Then, in August, his fam made it here, and we had a 50 person dinner reception! my whole fam and friends were there and it was GREAT! :)

It worked out perfectly. My only regret was my dress at my wedding. I hated it. It was a proper wedding dress, just an informal, not a huge frou frou dress...

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

My husband and I had a beautiful formal wedding in Lima, Peru 3 months after our civil ceremony in Texas. It was like a fairy tale, and for me, a dream come true.

We are actually planning another wedding here in the states once he returns so that all my family and friends can attend. I can't wait!

(I'd marry him a thousand times over (L) )

ONE DAY AT A TIME....

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

12/30/2008: Overnighted I-751 package to VSC

01/06/2009: Check cashed

01/06/2009: NOA (arrived 01/09/09)

01/23/2009: Biometrics appt letter received

01/31/2009: Biometrics scheduled

05/20/2009: APPROVED

06/23/2009: 10 Year Green Card arrived

Timeline

We've been planning our wedding for a year now. My fiancee arrives Sunday and in less than 3 weeks, we will have our church wedding. Nothing extravegant. A small simple but nice wedding. Then we plan to make a trip to Philippines in a year or so and have a biggie there.

July 7, 2004 - Met Aimee in a chatroom

Dec. 25, 2005 - Went to Phils to meet her the first time

January 7, 2006 - Mailed I-129F to Nebraska Service Center.

January 27, 2006 - Received NOA1.

April 18, 2006 @1859 cst - NOA2 - APPROVED!

July 15, 2006 - Packet 4 received

September1, 2006 - Medical

September 8, 2006 - Interview - APPROVED!

October 15, 2006 - Arrived in USA

November 4, 2006 --- WEDDING!!!

April 20, 2007 - Mailed AOS

May 18, 2007 - Biometrics

July 26, 2007---GREEN CARD!(no interview)

April 13, 2009 - Mailed I-751 for Removal of Conditions

May 5, 2009 - NOA (extension approved)

May 18, 2009 - Biometrics appointment arrived today-scheduled for May 29, 2009

August 13, 2009 - Approval for removal of conditions (originally delayed due to RFE)

August 20, 2009 - 10 year green card arrived in mail

June 9, 2010</ - Treygan Isaiah is born

June, 21, 2010 - My adoption of Nathan is finalized

No lawyers and no problems

When we got married the first time we had a VERY small, civil ceremony in the US, we were barely 10 people in total, but it was very nice and romantic nonetheless. (F)

Then we got married again this past summer and we had a BIG church wedding in Italy, with all of our family and friends...it was beautiful, just like I had always imagined in my dreams. :blush:

We still consider the first wedding as the "real" one, but the second one is just as important to us, since we re-confirmed our love and renewed our vows in a church and in front of all the people we love.

...But now we have two dates and two different anniversaries to celebrate, lol! (L)