pedroh

LOL... listening to right-wing radio

37 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

O'Reilly takes himself extremely seriously and he presents his show as the "no spin zone", as though his show and the Fox network are "honest" compared to the rest of the mainstream network media.

I've heard O'Reilly actually attacking "the mainstream media" (his words). Makes you wonder what is the mainstream media if he doesn't count his own show which is part of a massive corporate news network - hardly guerilla journalism...

The Colbert Report (from what I've seen) is almost entirely satirical.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thoughts anyone? and please let's not turn this into a flame war-'dem illegals must learn amurkin'-ayy if u don't like America leave.. plis

I'm with you 110% on the language issue. Are you with me in supporting a border fence?

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I was listening to this right wing radio show, don't remember the name, but i was listening to this guy talking of u know the typical extremist agenda.. abortion is bad, no gay marriages because it's wrong (#######? according to the law or god), and he was talking how if US want's to enforce their border security they also have to look at their lives and say 'am i doing the right thing? thats right, we shouldn be against spanish classes' and i was #######??! since when the border fence has to do with learning diff languages..

now.. I don't want to start a flame war... but, during my short living in USA, I've found IMO that American's take foreign languages too personal, technically, they are probly one of the few countries I know who are against foreign languages and see them as an offence.. my question.. why?

I'm not gonna say 'well to help the illegal immigrants u have to learn their language' and all that bs.. most countries like mine don't have government services in other languages than spanish, and I'm pretty thankful that US Govt has spanish services, thanks to it, I fixed a mistake with the IRS (wrong last names) that could have taken 2 hours in english, 30 min in spanish... but why is it wrong to learn other languages (not only spanish).. I mean, I know languages are not for everyone, but, I've been to other countries and people don't seem offended for knowing 2 or 3 or even 4 languages, and using them constantly, and the funny thing is, those countries (like Holland) require a 100% understanding of the local language, but they still learn more than 1 (besides their dialect)..

yes yes, USA is too big, and probly some of the citizen will never have the need to leave, as in any other countries, but I would think a foreign language looks pretty impressive on a resume, and yes, due to the situation with Meheeco and los amigos, most businesses don't seem language as a barrier, and will hire bilingual personnel..

my point is not to tell everybody to learn spanish.. but, if the next most used language weren't spanish, and were, I dunno, freakin swedish.. I'd be learning swedish right now!! maybe there's not a direct benefit of being bilingual, trilingual or whatever, but hell, it won't hurt u (unless u cuss someone in their language lol)

thoughts anyone? and please let's not turn this into a flame war-'dem illegals must learn amurkin'-ayy if u don't like America leave.. plis

pce out

Hello Pedroh. I understand what you are saying and, in principle, I agree with you. Learning a second language can do nothing but help any person regardless of who it is. I myself am working very hard to learn Portuguese ( damn sure ain't easy at my age) out of respect for my wife and her family and just because I want to add it to my life's accomplishments.

My wife, with Portuguese as a first, and English (90% fluent~) second also speaks fluent Spanish, and some french and italian! She also goes to school to learn English grammar (level II) courtesy of the local community college ESL program. Her classmates are mostly hispanic with two russians and her. The first night of class the hispanic people asked the instructor if she would speak to them in spanish if they could not understand. My wife was terribly upset by this and reminded the class and teacher that everyone of them were in the class to learn English and not Spanish. She won the argument and the teacher made a rule that everything MUST be in English.

My wife (Brazilian) considers it lazy for these folks to join an English class and want to speak Spanish. I think this is really the point...it's about putting forth the effort to do something that is not so easy.

If any person moves to a foreign land, I think they have the responsibility AND obligation to make every effort to learn the language, customs, and culture.

Americans really tend to get impatient when they are trying to get a service in their own country and the people helping them can't even speak english. This is very common and may contribute to the backlash directed typically at hispanics.

Take Care!

Mike

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I'm with you 110% on the language issue. Are you with me in supporting a border fence?

protejamos las fronteras de los Estados Unidos! :thumbs:

I know it sounds funny Pedroh but it aint so funny. Here is a nice pic of a couple of local boys from my town.

If you cant read the sign (Its not that clear) It says SPEAK ENGLISH OR DIE. These are our good republican boys who listen to Micheal Savage and his ilk. His show should be rated.

yea, although u know, people who are like that are just some dumb-####### country boys that never finished HS and they dont EVEN speak english correctly lol.. so, pot calls keetle black lolol...

i understand it's the radio hosts way of talkin u know, to stir some shite, and add more rating, but it's rather worrying to listen to the public actually getting convinced of such stupidity, like it's unamerican to learn spanish because 'they're giving up our national language, our heritage -add patriotic bullshite-'...

although I've never seen a place where the person that's helping me doesn't speak an understandeable english, is that just in high latino concentration areas? like texas or cali? cuz in NC i've never ever had that experience.. I mean, there are hispanics that don't speak english, but they usually work in the kitched (i.e restaurants).. although those big companies who have call centers in Asia.. OMG those are the worst.. no dissing those guys who are trying to do their jobs, but they need better english training

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline

I grew up with my grandparents, mom, and aunts speaking Russian around my grandparents' house, but spoke English when in mixed company (non-Russian speakers). In those days the government did little or nothing to accomodate languages other than English for conducting government business. My grandparents arrived in America without speaking any English and it took them quite a number of years to become fluent in English by immersing themselves in American life. The government didn't teach them to speak English or accomodate the Russian language. My American born oldest aunt showed up for her first day at school not speaking any English. In those days there was no special treatment or bi-lingual education. And my aunt learned to speak, read, and write English because she had to and it didn't kill her. My mom was born years later and showed up to her first day at school bi-lingual in English and Russian. My grandparents accomplished this feat on their own without government help. Not bad for common Russian peasants from the countryside.

Today in Houston, TX a voter is allowed to vote with a ballot in English, Spanish, and Vietnamese. #######? If my wife and stepdaughter become US citizens...why can't they vote with Russian ballots? If you do it for some, why not do it for every friggin' language on the planet down to the most obscure dialects? What makes Hispanics and Vietnamese any more special or privileged than anyone else?

Ditto for the TxDOT. It used to be that the written driver's license test could be taken in most common foreign languages (even Cyrillic Russian). Several years ago TxDOT went to a computer based test. And now it can only be taken in English or Spanish. I guess the Vietnamese and everyone else got screwed on that one. My Russian wife and stepdaughter had no choice but to take the test in English (which they did) or get an interpreter. #######? Again...what makes Hispanics so privileged? What about everybody else?

At some point this sh!t get ridiculous to the 10th degree. Immigrants worldwide in our history leaned English when they came here. It worked then and it will work now. Since when have language accomodation rights been guaranteed in the US Constitution? Nobody says that anyone in the USA cannot speak multiple languages. But the government shouldn't be in the business of accomodating each and every language in the world. Maybe at the international terminal at an airport, but not in every facet of domestic government. The language of domestic American government should be in English only.

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

What would you say though Pedroh if I moved to mexico and expected everyone to learn Greek. Yes, having a second or third language is great but what I see happening in the US is that a lot of hispanics simply cannot be bothered learning english. Then thanks to out of touch PC BS left-wing geniuses, the US has simply catered for that.

Many people in the US, especially your left wing, have forgotten the countries roots and heritage. This is why a growing number of Europeans nations are moving the opposite direction and now expect migrants to value and at the very least accept and understand the countries traditions and heritage..

Common sense really. If I moved to Mexico I would try to speak and eventually would learn to speak the native language..

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

I grew up with my grandparents, mom, and aunts speaking Russian around my grandparents' house, but spoke English when in mixed company (non-Russian speakers). In those days the government did little or nothing to accomodate languages other than English for conducting government business. My grandparents arrived in America without speaking any English and it took them quite a number of years to become fluent in English by immersing themselves in American life. The government didn't teach them to speak English or accomodate the Russian language. My American born oldest aunt showed up for her first day at school not speaking any English. In those days there was no special treatment or bi-lingual education. And my aunt learned to speak, read, and write English because she had to and it didn't kill her. My mom was born years later and showed up to her first day at school bi-lingual in English and Russian. My grandparents accomplished this feat on their own without government help. Not bad for common Russian peasants from the countryside.

Today in Houston, TX a voter is allowed to vote with a ballot in English, Spanish, and Vietnamese. #######?

:thumbs:

The language of domestic American government should be in English only.

:thumbs:

what makes Hispanics so privileged?

Because there's more of them? ;)

Aren't they a minority though...

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Timeline
What would you say though Pedroh if I moved to mexico and expected everyone to learn Greek. Yes, having a second or third language is great but what I see happening in the US is that a lot of hispanics simply cannot be bothered learning english. Then thanks to out of touch PC BS left-wing geniuses, the US has simply catered for that.

Many people in the US, especially your left wing, have forgotten the countries roots and heritage. This is why a growing number of Europeans nations are moving the opposite direction and now expect migrants to value and at the very least accept and understand the countries traditions and heritage..

Common sense really. If I moved to Mexico I would try to speak and eventually would learn to speak the native language..

oh and I don't have a problem with that, again, I'm thankful US govt has spanish services, but if they didn't have it, well, no problem, I'd use the english one.. no biggie.. I wasn't talkin though about the government.. US government has the sovereign right of using ebonics if they want to.. my point was, it seems more and more common than learning foreign languages (specially spanish) among people is considered a 'we're giving in our language' rather than 'oh cool, you know more than 1 language!!!' u know what i mean??

true, those countries require for the new immigrant a decent or complete knowledge of the country they're living in, but that was also my point, those countries, their locals speak 3 or 4 languages, even though the government has a strict policy of only-local language (and I don't think its wrong at all).. so why the hate or.. not hate.. but why it's so darn bad to learn a foreign language in the US?

El Presidente of VJ

Wohnen Heute

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Then thanks to out of touch PC BS left-wing geniuses, the US has simply catered for that.

I guess every company in America is run by a bunch of left wing nutters who cater to the Spanish minority cause I can't by a freaking thing without there being spanish all over one side of the box. #######.. GWB is such a left wing bozo he wants to offer them amnesty.

Geez.. take your head out of your butt. Just because a person isn't a neo-nazi doesn't make them a left wing PC BS.. whatever it is you are inferring. The FACT is that if you want to move an issue forward in this country, you cant raise a confederate flag and go hyuck, we aint doin that. It'll ruin Americuh.

IR1

April 14, 2004 I-130 NOA1

April 25, 2005 IR1 Received

April 26, 2005 POE Dorval Airport

May 13, 2005 Welcome to America Letters Received

May 21, 2005 PR Card in Mail

May 26, 2005 Applied for SSN at local office

June 06, 2005 SSN Received

June 11, 2005 Driver Licence Issued!

June 20, 2005 Deb gets a Check Card! Just like Donald Trump's!

Citizenship

Jan 30, 2008 N400 Mailed off to the VSC!

Feb 2, 2008 N400 Received at VSC

Feb 6, 2008 Check Cashed!

Feb 13, 2008 NOA1 Received

Feb 15, 2008 Fingerprint letter received. (Feb 26th scheduled)

Feb 18, 2008 Mailed out the old Please Reschedule us for Biometics <sigh>...

Feb 27, 2008 Received the new scheduled biometrics.

Mar 15, 2008 Biometrics Rescheduled.

Sep 18, 2008 Interview Letter Recieved.

Nov 11, 2008 Interview Passed :-).

Nov 14, 2008 Oath Cerimony.

Timeline
Then thanks to out of touch PC BS left-wing geniuses, the US has simply catered for that.

I guess every company in America is run by a bunch of left wing nutters who cater to the Spanish minority cause I can't by a freaking thing without there being spanish all over one side of the box. #######.. GWB is such a left wing bozo he wants to offer them amnesty.

Geez.. take your head out of your butt. Just because a person isn't a neo-nazi doesn't make them a left wing PC BS.. whatever it is you are inferring. The FACT is that if you want to move an issue forward in this country, you cant raise a confederate flag and go hyuck, we aint doin that. It'll ruin Americuh.

:lol:

El Presidente of VJ

Wohnen Heute

The FACT is that if you want to move an issue forward in this country, you cant raise a confederate flag and go hyuck, we aint doin that. It'll ruin Americuh.

Why is it anytime someone gives an opposing opinion they must be a backwards, confederate, rednecks. Which is basically a northerner being racists and saying they are better and smarter than 'rednecks'.. But see they can hide under the radar their because southern Americans are not technically a race.

What language has the united states spoken for the majority of its life? Period. The problem is politicians here pussyfoot around so they don't lose votes, at the expense of America's reputation. Actually this is also a slap in the face to all other immigrants who have come here over the years and assimilated into the country and learnt to speak english.

Tell me one other country this would happen in apart from the US?

Edited by Infidel

Timeline
The FACT is that if you want to move an issue forward in this country, you cant raise a confederate flag and go hyuck, we aint doin that. It'll ruin Americuh.

Why is it anytime someone gives an opposing opinion they must be a backwards, confederate, rednecks. Which is basically a northerner being racists and saying they are better and smarter than 'rednecks'.. But see they can hide under the radar their because southern Americans are not technically a race.

What language has the united states spoken for the majority of its life? Period. The problem is politicians here pussyfoot around so they don't lose votes, at the expense of America's reputation. Actually this is also a slap in the face to all other immigrants who have come here over the years and assimilated into the country and learnt to speak english.

Tell me one other country this would happen in apart from the US?

i don't like the spanish paperwork, the translations are horrible.. i prefer english :P

Well.. from the people around here, those who hate other languages are rednecks.. and they are dumb, and I've never met a smart redneck.. ever.. he's not talking about u know, people opposing in a civilized way, but rather those a-holes who use 'speak english or die' or 'don't give up ur country, don't take spanish classes' (#######?)..

Edited by pedroh

El Presidente of VJ

Wohnen Heute

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
i don't like the spanish paperwork, the translations are horrible.. i prefer english :P

Well.. from the people around here, those who hate other languages are rednecks.. and they are dumb, and I've never met a smart redneck.. ever.. he's not talking about u know, people opposing in a civilized way, but rather those a-holes who use 'speak english or die' or 'don't give up ur country, don't take spanish classes' (#######?)..

profiling?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!