Lililand

Joint-sponsor vs. co-sponsor

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

What's the difference?

Is a join sponsor where two or more people combine their incomes to sponsor someone and co-sponsor where only the external person sponsors the new immigrant?

Am I right?? :help:

Jan 5, 2012: Mailed I-129F

Jan 7, 2012: Received

Jan 10, 2012: Text and e-mail confirmation received

Jan 14, 2012: NOA1 received in the mail

Mar 29, 2012: Expedite request made

Apr 5, 2012: Expedite request approved

Apr 6, 2012: I-129F approved!

Apr 11, 2012: NVC received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

What's the difference?

Is a join sponsor where two or more people combine their incomes to sponsor someone and co-sponsor where only the external person sponsors the new immigrant?

Am I right?? :help:

the other way around, the co sponsor is the household member.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Ok, let me see if I understand this...

Let's say I made 10,000 last year and I would need 9,000 to sponsor my fiance (which is 19,000 for 2 people). A co-sponsor would only need to make the difference that I need and a joint-sponsor would have to make over 19,000 correct?

We're talking no dependents...

Edited by Lililand

Jan 5, 2012: Mailed I-129F

Jan 7, 2012: Received

Jan 10, 2012: Text and e-mail confirmation received

Jan 14, 2012: NOA1 received in the mail

Mar 29, 2012: Expedite request made

Apr 5, 2012: Expedite request approved

Apr 6, 2012: I-129F approved!

Apr 11, 2012: NVC received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Ok, let me see if I understand this...

Let's say I made 10,000 last year and I would need 9,000 to sponsor my fiance (which is 19,000 for 2 people). A co-sponsor would only need to make the difference that I need and a joint-sponsor would have to make over 19,000 correct?

We're talking no dependents...

No. A co-sponsor, and only one, is used for the I-134, which is the affidavit of support used for K-1 interviews.

You can have joint sponsors for the I-864, which is used for married couples and will be used for a K-1 when already in the US, married and filing for adjustment of status. When using the I-864, certain household members can combine their income with yours to meet the 125% poverty level using the I-864A, or your joint sponsor can fill out their own I-864 and have their spouse or qualifying household member fill out an I-864A to combine their income together in order for the joint sponsor to reach the 125% mark. Read more about it by going over the instructions for the I-864 and I-864A on the USCIS website.

The I-134 does not allow for combing of income, and this is the form you will use for the visa interview. Your co-sponsor will fill out their own separate I-134 and they must meet the 125% level for their own household size plus the beneficiary.

Note: A few consulates ask for the I-864 for the K-1, but not many. You can ask others that went through Peru what they require. The Peru portal info here on VJ lists that they take the I-134: http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=Peru&cty=Lima

Edited by Jay-Kay

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Your co-sponsor will fill out their own separate I-134 and they must meet the 125% level for their own household size plus the beneficiary.

i thought that the co sponsor would have to meet the 125% for not only their household size but the petitioner/beneficiaries too.

please tell me if i am wrong. ! my fiance and i have 1 daughter together and he also has one other daughter/dependant. MY COSPONSORs family size is 4 people and mine also would be 4 people. i thought that the cosponsor would have to meet the 125% ( in my case ) for a household of 8.

am i wrong?? if i am im not sure why i thought this was correct.

event.png

d60yv4kpg.png

12/15/2011 - last time baby & I saw her Papi

01/30/2012 - Denied entry into US

02/27/2012 - i129f sent to Dallas lockbox

02/28/2012 - i129f delivered

03/05/2012 - NOA1 email received

03/08/2012 - NOA1 hardcopy received

09/11/2012 - NOA2 email recieved

02/28/2013 - Montreal Interview -- APPROVED!!!!!

04/03/2013 - POE date!!

05/25/2013- wedding day!! <3

06/10/2013 - AOS mailed

06/10/2013 - NOA

09/09/2013 - biometrics appointment

09/16/2013 - RFE ( joint sponsor tax return issue)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

i thought that the co sponsor would have to meet the 125% for not only their household size but the petitioner/beneficiaries too.

please tell me if i am wrong. ! my fiance and i have 1 daughter together and he also has one other daughter/dependant. MY COSPONSORs family size is 4 people and mine also would be 4 people. i thought that the cosponsor would have to meet the 125% ( in my case ) for a household of 8.

am i wrong?? if i am im not sure why i thought this was correct.

The USC father already did the CBRA for your child to get a US passport? You do not really have a K-2 because your child is a USC because her father is. So, there are not plural beneficiarieS, just you, the beneficiary, one applying for the K-1 visa.

The USC petitioner father will have to claim himself, both his children and you for the affidavit, making it a household of 4. If the petitioner and your kids are not dependents of the co-sponsor, then the co-sponsor does not include them in their own household count. He does not support of all them I assume. They must count themselves, a spouse, any dependent children, any other dependents claimed on their taxes plus you, the beneficiary. Whatever number that comes out to is their household size. If they have 4 people to count already plus you, then they need 125% for a household of 5.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.