19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

We are totally confused now :help:

We filed AOS and I sent 2 check with package. One in the amount of $985.00 which was cashed this week. The second check was for $80.00 should have been $85.00 :bonk:

We then received text 3 messages MSC case numbers in sequence :thumbs:. But today NOA Rejection Notice which states

Recently you submitted an application for immigration benefits.That form was submitted with an extra remittance that is not required to process your application.your check is being returned to you with this Notice. No additional action by you is required at this time. :whistle:

it then goes on in the next paragraph to tell us we should complete and resubmit our application :angry:

what gives ??? the $80.00 check was returned but the $985.00 cleared the bank.

What do we do wait?? the $85.00 is for Biometrics.I understand this will we just have to pay that later ???

or do we have a major Issue coming towards us ??

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

A check for $1070.00 made to U.S Department of Homeland Security should have been in your package for AOS

Edited by tru_loves_journey

event.png

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

This seems to be the beginning of problems. At some point in time they are going to realize that the fee they collected is I correct. They can do a reversal. Look out for delays. It is super important to read the guidelines when filling out these forms but that is water under the bridge now. I hope someone who has passed through this will enlighten you or they will simply ask you to remit the biometric fees. All the best.

STANLEY & KAREN
01/15/2009 - Fedex I-130, I-485, I-693, I-864, I-765, G-325A
01/20/2009 - Received in mail-room and signed for by J CHYBA
01/28/2009 - Checks cashed by Homeland Security
02/02/2009 - Received in mail 3 pcs of NOA1 one each for I-485, I-130, I-765 dated 01/28/2009
02/03/2009 - Received email RFE. What did I not send now, whew!
02/09/2009 - Received mails for initial evidence and Biometric appointment (02/19/2009); mailed evidence
02/19/2009 - biometrics done - in a out in 45 minutes
03/14/2009 - Receive NOA2 dated 03/10/2009. AOS interview April 29, 2009
03/18/2009 - Touched. EAD Card production ordered
03/25/2009 - Touched. EAD approval sent
03/27/2009 - EAD card received in the mail; applied for SS# immediately (office is across the street from my home)
04/02/2009 - Received SS# in the mail
04/29/2009 - Interviewed. I- 130 approved, I-485 pending IO's review
05/05/2009 - Received NOA2. Welcome letter for Permanent Residency. I-130 and I-485 approved 04/30/2009
05/08/2009 - Touched. I-485 approval letter sent
05/11/2009 - GC received in the mail. Expires 2019
05/11/2009 - Applied to remove restrictions on my SS Card
05/18/2009 - Received unrestricted SS card

10/13/2009 - My darling husband of 2 yrs 5 months 3 weeks 3 days passed away :(

Naturalization Process (5 Yrs Later) :goofy:

Mar 28, 2014 - Mailed N-400
Apr 08, 2014 - Check cashed
Apr 09, 2014 - Receive Notice letter Priority date April 3, 2014
Apr 11, 2014 - Touched - Email - Biometrics letter mailed
May 08, 2014 - Biometrics done
May 12, 2014 - Touched - Email - In line for interview scheduling
July 12, 2014 - Pre-interview letter (Yellow letter) received in mail
Aug 20, 2014 - Touched - Email - Interview scheduled
Aug 25, 2014 - Interview scheduled for Sept. 24, 2014
Sept 24, 2014 - Passed interview
Oct 06, 2014 - Touched - Email - In oath scheduling que
Oct 08, 2014 - Touched - Text - Oath ceremony scheduled
Oct 14, 2014 - Received letter - Oath ceremony Oct 28, 2014
Oct 28, 2014 - I AM A US CITIZEN! :joy: :joy: :joy:
Nov 12, 2014 - Updated my status from permanent resident to citizen at Social Security
Nov 14, 2014 - Applied for US passport
Nov 29, 2014 - Received US passport book
Dec 01, 2014 - Received Passport card
Dec 04, 2014 - Received Naturalization Certificate

--------------------
KayCee

Ccut.jpg.png

Timeline

This seems to be the beginning of problems. At some point in time they are going to realize that the fee they collected is I correct. They can do a reversal. Look out for delays. It is super important to read the guidelines when filling out these forms but that is water under the bridge now. I hope someone who has passed through this will enlighten you or they will simply ask you to remit the biometric fees. All the best.

thank you

just hope we can pay the Biometrics later :innocent: and no delays from my mistake :whistle:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Keep an eye on your AOS case status online. The bad news is that they can accept your I-485 because you paid the filing fee for the form, and then deny the adjustment of status because you didn't pay the biometrics fee. I think the reason they'd give for the denial is that you didn't complete biometrics collection. This would mean your original I-485 filing fee would be lost, and you'd have to start over from scratch.

I've never heard of a situation like this before. In fact, I've never heard of someone sending separate checks for the I-485 and biometrics fees. I don't think they'd send an RFE since the biometrics fee isn't "evidence". I've never heard of USCIS sending bills or fee notices. I also don't know if the ASC can collect your payment at the time of the biometrics appointment. Again, I've never heard of this happening.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

I would make an Infopass appointment. Better to get this straightened out now than run into trouble later like Jim said.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Timeline

Keep an eye on your AOS case status online. The bad news is that they can accept your I-485 because you paid the filing fee for the form, and then deny the adjustment of status because you didn't pay the biometrics fee. I think the reason they'd give for the denial is that you didn't complete biometrics collection. This would mean your original I-485 filing fee would be lost, and you'd have to start over from scratch.

I've never heard of a situation like this before. In fact, I've never heard of someone sending separate checks for the I-485 and biometrics fees. I don't think they'd send an RFE since the biometrics fee isn't "evidence". I've never heard of USCIS sending bills or fee notices. I also don't know if the ASC can collect your payment at the time of the biometrics appointment. Again, I've never heard of this happening.

Sure hope they don't force us to pay the I-485 again. we can't afford it. late filing now waited for income tax return just to have the money to file.

only thing I can think of doing is call them Monday and send another check for the right amount.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Sure hope they don't force us to pay the I-485 again. we can't afford it. late filing now waited for income tax return just to have the money to file.

only thing I can think of doing is call them Monday and send another check for the right amount.

DO NOT TRY TO HANDLE THIS OVER THE PHONE!

Hope I got your attention. :blush:

The people you talk to on the phone are hired customer service reps, no different from the ones you talk to when you call for help with a new computer or appliance. The only difference is that they're not in India. They read from a script on a computer screen. The majority of them know squat about immigration law or USCIS policies. You can try to get an immigration officer on the phone, but even then you might not get the best information. Your situation is not typical.

Make an InfoPass appointment at the local USCIS office. Insist on speaking with an immigration officer, face-to-face. Explain the situation and see if you can pay the biometrics fee on the spot. Be CERTAIN you get a receipt. Hopefully, that will be enough to keep the momentum going on your case, and trigger them to schedule a biometrics appointment before an IO gets your I-485.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

The people you talk to on the phone are hired customer service reps, no different from the ones you talk to when you call for help with a new computer or appliance. The only difference is that they're not in India. They read from a script on a computer screen. The majority of them know squat about immigration law or USCIS policies. You can try to get an immigration officer on the phone, but even then you might not get the best information. Your situation is not typical.

Make an InfoPass appointment at the local USCIS office. Insist on speaking with an immigration officer, face-to-face. Explain the situation and see if you can pay the biometrics fee on the spot. Be CERTAIN you get a receipt. Hopefully, that will be enough to keep the momentum going on your case, and trigger them to schedule a biometrics appointment before an IO gets your I-485.

Thank you :thumbs:

made an appointment first thing Monday morning.will post up the results Monday eve fingers crossed

Timeline

checked our case status online and this is what it said

do you think i should still go to appointment or mail check ASAP over night express ????

hate to miss a day of work. But have to do whats necessary

Acceptance

On April 2, 2012, a fingerprint fee deficiency notice for this case I485 APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS was mailed to you advising you that we have not received the finger print fee, the correct amount, or a signed check or money order. The notice provided you with instructions to follow to submit the necessary payment. Please submit the required payment as soon as possible or we will not be able to resume processing of this case.

During the acceptance step USCIS reviews newly received applications and petitions to ensure that they are properly filed (i.e. signed by the applicant, appropriate fees, etc.) USCIS issues a receipt number for the application or petition, and sends a receipt notice to the applicant or petitioner.

Applications and petitions that are not properly filed are rejected with an explanation of why the application is rejected and the corrective action needed. Rejected applications or petitions do not retain their filing date.

The acceptance step is typically completed within 2 business days of when the application is received. With mail time it may take several weeks for you to get the receipt or rejection notice in the mail. If you do not receive your notice within 30 days of mailing your application, please contact our national customer service center at 1-800-375-5283.

Given that they mailed you that notice along with instructions to send it back I would wait for the notice and make sure to mail it back with delivery confirmation. If, when you get the notice, something is unclear then I would make a new appointment at that time.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Timeline

Given that they mailed you that notice along with instructions to send it back I would wait for the notice and make sure to mail it back with delivery confirmation. If, when you get the notice, something is unclear then I would make a new appointment at that time.

Well haven't canceled appointment yet. but have written check in the right amount :bonk: copied paper work and will overnight it back to them Monday.

checked our case status online and this is what it said

do you think i should still go to appointment or mail check ASAP over night express ????

hate to miss a day of work. But have to do whats necessary

Acceptance

On April 2, 2012, a fingerprint fee deficiency notice for this case I485 APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS was mailed to you advising you that we have not received the finger print fee, the correct amount, or a signed check or money order. The notice provided you with instructions to follow to submit the necessary payment. Please submit the required payment as soon as possible or we will not be able to resume processing of this case.

During the acceptance step USCIS reviews newly received applications and petitions to ensure that they are properly filed (i.e. signed by the applicant, appropriate fees, etc.) USCIS issues a receipt number for the application or petition, and sends a receipt notice to the applicant or petitioner.

Applications and petitions that are not properly filed are rejected with an explanation of why the application is rejected and the corrective action needed. Rejected applications or petitions do not retain their filing date.

The acceptance step is typically completed within 2 business days of when the application is received. With mail time it may take several weeks for you to get the receipt or rejection notice in the mail. If you do not receive your notice within 30 days of mailing your application, please contact our national customer service center at 1-800-375-5283.

When you get the paper notice, send the check again with the correct amount and the original notice. Keep a copy of the original notice.

03/05/12 (Day 01) Sent package

03/08/12 (Day 03) Package received

03/16/12 (Day 11) Bio Appt recieved

03/17/12 (Day 12) NOA received

03/19/12 (Day 14) Early Bio walk in

03/26/12 (Day 21) RFE notification

03/28/12 (Day 23) RFE returned

04/09/12 (Day 36) Original Bio date

04/20/12 (Day 47) Interview Appt recieved

05/03/12 (Day 60) EAD Approved

05/08/12 (Day 65) 2nd Approval

05/09/12 (Day 66) EAD Mailed

05/10/12 (Day 67) USPS picked up card

05/11/12 (Day 68) EAD in hand

05/23/12 (Day 79) Interview

ticker.png

ticker.png

Filed: Timeline

I had the same problem as you, pretty much.

I sent 2 checks one for I-485 and one for EAD. They sent me that EAD check with a rejection notice, together with the NOA1 for both of them. That rejection letter is very confusing. It says that there is no further action to take, then at the last paragraph it says to send again all the package...??? Makes no sense. You know what I did? Called them, and they sounded so confusing! They didnt know what was wrong...I wanted to make sure if I had to send everything all over again, but I ended up not doing anything, and then I got the letter for biometrics....So, I was asupposed to "take no further action".....

They should redo that rejection letter, it is supposed to clear english...so confusing and frustrating..

I had the same problem as you, pretty much.

I sent 2 checks one for I-485 and one for EAD. They sent me that EAD check with a rejection notice, together with the NOA1 for both of them. That rejection letter is very confusing. It says that there is no further action to take, then at the last paragraph it says to send again all the package...??? Makes no sense. You know what I did? Called them, and they sounded so confusing! They didnt know what was wrong...I wanted to make sure if I had to send everything all over again, but I ended up not doing anything, and then I got the letter for biometrics....So, I was asupposed to "take no further action".....

They should redo that rejection letter, it is supposed to clear english...so confusing and frustrating..

There is no fee for EAD when it is sent with the I-485. That is probably why they rejected it. Unless you meant the biometrics fee?

Edited by Lainie B

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.