AnitaMenkes

What type of visa necessary for a colombian domestic employee?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

domestica employee?? like a housekeeper??

You can't bring people to the US just because. She would have to be an immediate relative of your husband (as the USC) otherwise there's no way she can immigrate to the US as there's no visas for domestic employees and a work visa will be impossible for her to get, You can easily find someone else here.

Edited by paojack

K1 visa
Filed I-129: Dec 3rd 2010
Interview: July 6th 2011 APPROVED!

AOS
Filed: Oct 4th 2011
AOS Interview: Feb 7th 2012 - RFE sad.png
AOS Approved: Feb 9th - without sending RFE
Green Card received: Feb 17th smile.png

ROC

Filed: Nov 13th 2013

Approved: March 13th 2014

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I would say your chances are very similar as getting a K3.

Fortunately lots of unemployed in the US.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

what 'duties' is this person going to be doing??? Why do you need a third party to come to the US to scrub toilets and do laundry??? Neither of you have children, correct? If this person has been the family domestic servant for some period of time, the VOs will wonder why YOU need someone to perform basic housekeeping chores.....makes no sense....and domestic employees are NOT allowed for American citizens, except under very narrow and specific situations (and I doubt you fall into that category)....

what 'duties' is this person going to be doing??? Why do you need a third party to come to the US to scrub toilets and do laundry??? Neither of you have children, correct? If this person has been the family domestic servant for some period of time, the VOs will wonder why YOU need someone to perform basic housekeeping chores.....makes no sense....and domestic employees are NOT allowed for American citizens, except under very narrow and specific situations (and I doubt you fall into that category)....

a response with invectives and personal biases was not necessary. I am a full time student. My husband had severe spinal injury.

He needs constant attention. Our "servant" is like a family member and we wish to keep her. She is NOT just one who scrubs the toilets.

domestica employee?? like a housekeeper??

You can't bring people to the US just because. She would have to be an immediate relative of your husband (as the USC) otherwise there's no way she can immigrate to the US as there's no visas for domestic employees and a work visa will be impossible for her to get, You can easily find someone else here.

thank you so much for your response, i guess we will have to contact our emigration lawyer for this.

194mj475sllr1.png

Timeline

Sounds like you best bet would not be to move to the US.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

a response with invectives and personal biases was not necessary. I am a full time student. My husband had severe spinal injury.He needs constant attention. Our "servant" is like a family member and we wish to keep her. She is NOT just one who scrubs the toilets.thank you so much for your response, i guess we will have to contact our emigration lawyer for this.

I apologize if some of the answers seemed harsh. I guess some people just thought you were trying to bring your maid with you (which would be absolutely impossible).

However, even if she's his caretaker, there is unfortunately absolutely no way for her to move to the US with you, and virtually no way for her to move to the US at all. Her best bet would be applying for a Diversity Visa, otherwise known as the "green card lottery." Chances are very slim - Around 1% each year, but it's something. She can apply once a year.

No lawyer is able to change the rules, or somehow make the USCIS disregard the rules. A lawyer can only try his best to make the law work in your favor. You can find someone to do the same job here, and the USCIS won't give a green card to someone based on employment that could easily be done be done by an American or a green card holder.

If she was an actual relative of the US Citizen, meaning parent, child or sibling, it would be a different matter.

Edited by jaejayC

I will make this simple....a Green card holder cannot bring a domestic employee to the US under ANY circumstances...and your husband, even though a USC, cannot do the same except under very strict circumstances...which is this: he must be assigned to frequent overseas postings as part of his job and cannot spend more than roughly 4 years or so in the US....which means, no matter what other story you dream up, it won't comply with our laws.....period. sometimes the truth is something that no one wants to hear, but that does not make it any less factual.

Timeline

The emigration lawyer, the one getting the K3, is going to sort it out.

The emigration lawyer, the one getting the K3, is going to sort it out.

If this lawyer has any ethics (a long shot,to be sure) he/she will explain what I already posted...LPRs cannot bring their domestic employees to the US to work and neither can most USCs unless they are assigned overseas frequently (like State dept employees)...there are NO exceptions. Probaly we will read about how much this domestic employee wants to see Disneyland instead....

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

If the employee is a caregiver then she could be petitioned for an EW visa (unskilled health care worker). Once petitioned, it will take a few years for the priority date to become current. So, it is not impossible to get a visa for her but it will be expensive and it will take years.

Sounds like it would just be easier to hire someone once you get to the US. You'll have to do that in the mean time while the petition is pending anyway.

Good luck. Maybe your attorney will have a better option, but I doubt it.

If the employee is a caregiver then she could be petitioned for an EW visa (unskilled health care worker). Once petitioned, it will take a few years for the priority date to become current. So, it is not impossible to get a visa for her but it will be expensive and it will take years.

Sounds like it would just be easier to hire someone once you get to the US. You'll have to do that in the mean time while the petition is pending anyway.

Good luck. Maybe your attorney will have a better option, but I doubt it.

It would also require that NO qualified American citizen was available either.....

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

So we can assume your husband who has spinal cord injury and is in constant need to help.

Who is already in US, how has he managed to go so far without this help?

Co would want to know why none of the nursing home in US would be able to cater to his needs?

Why you would want to bring just this particular person to help you.

There is not any visa category that I am aware of on which you can bring a domestic help on a permanent basis to US.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.