SaroryH

Closed North AFrican Country problem...

31 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

If you read between the lines..her SO is a memeber of the military of Libya. He would have to defect in order to leave. Guess they dont allow their military out of the country. I think the background investigation of hime, if he did decide to leave would take years!!

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you read between the lines..her SO is a memeber of the military of Libya. He would have to defect in order to leave. Guess they dont allow their military out of the country. I think the background investigation of hime, if he did decide to leave would take years!!

Yes that's my thinking also...hard to keep track of this debate as it is going on in two different forums!

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I wonder how long military service is required in Libya. In Egypt, it's 2 years, but many people can get out of it. However, once you're in, you're stuck for those 2 years. During that time, you're not allowed to marry a foreigner either.

If it's only a few years, then I guess they'd have to wait until he's done.

As I stated on the other thread, I think (and mybackpages confirmed) that Libyan visas are processed through Cairo, so he'd have to leave at some point to go for the interview, and then go back to Libya while waiting for AP. I can't imagine they would hand him the visa right after the Cairo interview.

Maybe best to find a lawyer who has experience dealing with visas for libyans.

Edited by rahma

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline
I'll tell you this tho, valid us visa or not, if he doesn't have permission to exit, his passport aint leaving libya.

This is what has me perplexed. Why would he be permitted to leave Libya, but not permitted to re-enter ? Is he a foreign national living "under the radar" ? If he is a "persona non grata" to the Libyan government, it seems they would arrest him at the first opportunity -- even when trying to exit the country. And even if he managed to obtain a K-1 visa (which is nigh impossible without meeting the requirements already mentioned,) he would still be detected by Libyan officials at his point of departure from Libya.

Also, if there are issues that prevent him from being allowed to return to Libya, it's possible that the same issues might also exclude him from eligibility for a U.S. visa.

Is there a possibility of him seeking political asylum ? Might be worth investigating.

Without getting a waiver (which is unlikely at best) his best option may be to leave Libya permanently, and then wait out the visa process (which could take upwards of a year or more, and is in no way guaranteed to be successful) in a third country.

Wishing you the best.

(F)

-MK

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

One more thing...

He can't request a visitor visa for me because he will be investigated by his government. I can't request it alone because I will get a gov't guide and he will be investigated if we meet.

The Libyan government keeps very close tabs on its general population as far as communication with the "outside" -- they know who is calling who, and who emails who. If they are interested enough, they will make it their business to know every word that is exchanged.

If the OP's fiance is indeed a member of the Libyan military (as has been speculated) then the goverment already knows about his relationship with an American. He would already be under "investigation."

There must be more to this story than is being said.

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: Timeline

SaroryH,

My husband is from Libya and he took a bus to Cairo to meet, marry and spend a three week honeymoon with me. They don't even have to get a visa or anything to travel to Egypt, he just had to have his passport from Libya.

I believe there may be some underlying problem that would prevent him from crossing the border to Egypt, Tunisia or Algeria (all of which should be perfectly safe for you to travel to). I got from your posts that he has a problem with the military... I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if he has avoided his military obligations then he's not going to get a visa much less a waiver.... one reason being that he has to get a paper from the military later on in the game to take to the embassy and if they won't give him something saying he's cool with the military then he's not getting a visa.... the second problem will be when it's time for his interview... if he can't leave the country to meet you in one of the coutries mentioned previously then how's he going to go to Tunis for his interview and go back home to wait for the one-three month standard wait from Tunis (up to a year for any ME/NA country I believe)??

If you really wanted to, and have the money for it, you can go to Libya now... you have to book your entire trip through an approved travel agent but I think it's possible. I would not recommend that since there is no US embassy there and I wouldn't want to get myself stranded in a foreign country alone in the event that he's not what/who you expected. I'm not questioning your relationship I'm just keeping it real and I think most of us were a little nervous the first time meeting our SOs in foreign lands... I believe there is a thread about registering with the embassies and such once you arrive open now.

See if he can go to Egypt or one of the other bordering countries... Egypt is my recommendation because Tunisia can tend to be a little on the expensive side for the average Libyan, and because I've been there and had a great time!!!! The shopping is awesome!!!!! :D Although I'm sure a few of the ladies here will disagree and recommend Algiers instead :P

Maybe he just needs to go to the military and arrange to make up time he's missed (or whatever problem he has with them) and they'll clear up whatever problem he has with them?

Filed: Timeline

Every Libyan male is a "member of the military"

I wonder how long military service is required in Libya. In Egypt, it's 2 years, but many people can get out of it. However, once you're in, you're stuck for those 2 years. During that time, you're not allowed to marry a foreigner either.

If it's only a few years, then I guess they'd have to wait until he's done.

As I stated on the other thread, I think (and mybackpages confirmed) that Libyan visas are processed through Cairo, so he'd have to leave at some point to go for the interview, and then go back to Libya while waiting for AP. I can't imagine they would hand him the visa right after the Cairo interview.

Maybe best to find a lawyer who has experience dealing with visas for libyans.

Yousuf has mandatory military service every year.... it does not prevent him from coming and going as he pleases as long as it's not while he's preforming said services.

Libyan visas are processed through Tunis. :yes:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I was just asking my husband about this situation with Libya last night because his cousin is married to a Libyan (man) and is living in Libya. He had no problems leaving Libya to come to Morocco to visit several times. There also is a man from our mosque who is from Libya. I'm not sure the auspices of how he came to the US but I do know that he can never return to Libya or he will be imprisioned, maybe it was asylum or some other reason that he left. So then my question is - is your fiance ready to never return to Libya - ever? As a few have said if he is having problems traveling even to other ME or NA countries how is he going to A) get out for the interview B) if he does get the visa, leave the country? So maybe if these circumstances are as severe as has been implied you would be better offer to petition for an asylum visa vs. a fiance visa? I think I would contact an attorney.

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
I agree with VP about it being easy to get into Egypt..that is if he doesn't have military problems.

My husband worked in Sallum which is on the border of Libya and Egypt. Libyans and Egyptians entered and exited both countries pretty easily from my understanding.

to the OP's credit, I know for real that you don't have to be a bad guy or have a suspicious situation for your travel to be restricted out of libya, and for many, its just not an open border.

if he wants out, he needs to get permision, and you cant help him with that. he has to do it and if he feels he has reason to avoid getting permission...end of story because they are not going to interview him discretly by phone. he will need to get into tunisia if the process got that far...and don't forget his police report or good conduct report, he'll need that too. My only point is that no one can help him do this, and if he thinks he can just get a visa and leave....at least the op is doing homework before filing anything.

Edited by dawnnhatem

3dflags_jor0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Hatem & Dawn

Dec 09, 2004 I130 sent to USCIS

Mar 02, 2006 Arrives in US

15 months start to finish for cr-1 from Amman with no RFEs, ARs or other bonus hang-ups

complete timeline in profile

Nov 27, 2007 Three year Annivrsary. Two more and I can apply for a Jordanian Passport, and then we're going to Cuba (Just because I can). can't wait...

Filed: Other Country: Libya
Timeline
Had this thought about the possibility of a wavier-

With the current status of diplomatic relations between teh US and Libya, it does create a unique situation. My understanding is that the USC citizen needs to obtain a visa for travel to Libya but can only obtain it through a third country. There are other difficulties as the OP expressed- usually someone in Libya has to issue the invitation. If your fiance truely has extenuating circumstances that cause hardship to you that might not be easily explained here, you might be able to prove a waiver is appropriate.

I think the trick with such a wavier is that it has to be written out so precisely that facts are presented to support the USCIS guidelines. This is when a well qualified lawyer might be a great benefit to your case. If I were you, I would be hesitant to write the wavier myself. I would want a stronglegal agrument to adress it in terms USCIS would acknowledge.

Worse case scenario is the waiver asking for the exempting from having met is rejected. You would then have to find a different avenue to move forward. Given the difficulty being in Libya creates for the two of you, I imagine it is going to difficult the whole way through- especially when it comes to security checks after the interview level. You fiance might find himself on a list which could prohibit him from entering due to the problems the US had had with Libya in the past. I don't want to frighten you. I just want you both to understand the difficulties you MIGHT face.

Also I was just wondering is your fiance Libyan? a Libyan citizen?

Good luck!

Yes, he is a Libyan citizen and we hired an attorney today. Well the restrictions to Libya were removed but the US have not opened an embassy as it was announced in 45 days.We are scared but everyone here has been very nice and supportive. I will appreciate if you continue to post and help us and also if someone that has gone through something similar with a Libyan citizen can post. I guess our journey will be somewhat harder than others. Will try to plan for Cairo then, although it poses a great risk.

I was just asking my husband about this situation with Libya last night because his cousin is married to a Libyan (man) and is living in Libya. He had no problems leaving Libya to come to Morocco to visit several times. There also is a man from our mosque who is from Libya. I'm not sure the auspices of how he came to the US but I do know that he can never return to Libya or he will be imprisioned, maybe it was asylum or some other reason that he left. So then my question is - is your fiance ready to never return to Libya - ever? As a few have said if he is having problems traveling even to other ME or NA countries how is he going to A) get out for the interview B) if he does get the visa, leave the country? So maybe if these circumstances are as severe as has been implied you would be better offer to petition for an asylum visa vs. a fiance visa? I think I would contact an attorney.

Yes, we did hire an attorney today. An yes he is prepared to not return ever.

Good luck and let us know how things progress. I think the lawyer is the best route, but they can make mistakes too. Learn as much as you can and stay in contact with him. He works for you after all :yes:

I can't imagine taking this difficult journey you are about to begin. You are in my prayers! (F)

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Hello everyone! Wow i have been reading this thread and all i can say is... WOW. Sounds like to me that this girl needs to step back for a minute and think, is this man telling me everything? Samir and i are looking at this thread and have no idea why he is saying he cant leave and re-enter. Something sounds fishy here and the only advice i have for this woman is be careful and dont pursue this any further. Also how can you be engaged to someone you havent met yet? I just dont get it. Please for your own safety do not go to Libya.

glitter_maker_12_28_2006_10_08_52_29516.gif

us3.jpg

Copy_of_Algeriaflagsamir.gif

usaflagshannon.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.