ovahimba

Timeline between meeting and I-129F

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I have known my fiance now for three months. We have emailed and talked often, almost daily on the internet. A couple weeks ago we spent a week together in her home city in China doing various tourist things. We love each other very much.

My questions is, would reviewers see 3 months as too short of time to have known each other before marriage. Would it have an effect on the application approval? Has anyone heard of this being a problem?

Normally 3 months is short time, but a US citizen I could marry anytime. But as it is, I have to deal with a 6 month+ process, so I opted to start now. Thanks for any input.

14 July 06... Met online

19 Sept 06... Traveled to Shenzhen, China

10 Oct 06... Filed I-129F

17 Oct 06... NOA1

19 Dec 06... Traveled to Thailand together

20 Jan 07.... NOA2

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

It states that you must have met within a 2 year timeframe. I'm not sure the USCIS cares when that meeting took place as long as it is within 2 years.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

I think USCIS doesn't judge, as long as you've met in the two year period. The embassy will want you to demonstrate you've got a real relationship. Save pictures and letters and such for that.

signature here

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

they didnt care, me we just met online and then after 3 months we met personally and then as he came home in the USA he filed my I129 already. so i am here with him now and married .

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

See http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;hl=red+flags

http://www.ilw.com/articles/2006,0323-ellis.shtm

I don't think this would be an issue as far as USCIS goes - they only check for the basic requirements: petitioner must be a USC; petitioner and beneficiary must have met within the last 2 years and they must be free to marry, and of course intend to do so. So you must be prepared for the interview - having lots of evidence of ongoing relationship.

Also, it's advisable to get input from others going through the same embassy as you. Try the regional forum.

I only offer advice - not even legal. Just the plain and simple kind.

Timeline (incompleta)

A quick plunge into marriage is a red flag for the consulates, but that's not going to be issue for you. A 3 month courtship may seem short, but this process will add months to your engagement. Send in that petition and start waiting like the rest of us :P

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
I have known my fiance now for three months. We have emailed and talked often, almost daily on the internet. A couple weeks ago we spent a week together in her home city in China doing various tourist things. We love each other very much.

My questions is, would reviewers see 3 months as too short of time to have known each other before marriage. Would it have an effect on the application approval? Has anyone heard of this being a problem?

Normally 3 months is short time, but a US citizen I could marry anytime. But as it is, I have to deal with a 6 month+ process, so I opted to start now. Thanks for any input.

It will not cost you anytime problem. In fact I know someone who applied after they met three months. And she is in US for a year now. :P

Expect 6-11 months for the entire process tho... good luck!

Steve (WA,US) & Anne (SH,CN)

P1..............2004/10/04

P2..............2005/01/10

P3..............2005/04/07

P4..............2005/08/02

Interview.....2005/09/19

Married.......2005/10/29

Filed I-485...2005/12/17

RFE submit...2006/02/27

Interview......2006/08/31

Fingerprint....2006/09/07

wel letter......2006/09/19

I-551...........2006/10/02

Share my experiences with you, China-->U.S.

Check out my website : Click here

I am not an attorny, but someone did what you are doing or going to do.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

It shouldn't affect your case with USCIS, but it might be brought up at the interview.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
It shouldn't affect your case with USCIS, but it might be brought up at the interview.

I agree, be prepared for questions like that at the interview. My officer seemed surprised that we got engaged after the second time we had met in person, and asked a number of follow up questions (have you met his family, did he meet yours, etc etc).

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Timeline
You need to have met within 2 years of sending the petition? I have been with my GF for 3 1/2 so I guess a K1 is out of the question?

You need to have met within *at least* the past 2 years. If you send the petition, you'd include evidence of having met according to such timeframe.

See: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1guide - for more info.

Timeline (incompleta)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

You need to have met within 2 years of sending the petition? I have been with my GF for 3 1/2 so I guess a K1 is out of the question?

You need to have met within *at least* the past 2 years. If you send the petition, you'd include evidence of having met according to such timeframe.

See: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1guide - for more info.

Oh I fel like an idiot

I confused met (as in first getting to know someone) for met (actually being with someone). i understand now. :oops:

Timeline

Oh I fel like an idiot

I confused met (as in first getting to know someone) for met (actually being with someone). i understand now. :oops:

It'd be "met" as in "seeing someone in person" :) You also have to answer IMBRA questions and explain how you "met" as in "getting to know someone" if you used a marriage broker as per the legal definition.

Timeline (incompleta)

Filed: Timeline

It wont matter, all that matters is that you love each other ! good luck !

K-1 Filling:

12/9/2005 - I129F submitted

02/11/2005 NOA2 APPROVED Wohooooo!!!!

07/11/2005 Received by NVC - on way to Consulate!! yeah!!

07/11/2005 Applied for Police Certificate

15/11/2005 Police Clearance Cert Arrived

17/11/2005 Received at Consulate

30/11/2005 Medical at Edinburgh Nuffield Screening Center

01/12/2005 Telephoned for Medical Results, everything fine

03/12/2005 Packet 3 Received from Consulate!! Yipee!!

08/12/2005 X-Ray and Medical Results delivered by Courier

09/12/2005 Packet 3 Sent back to Consulate

20/12/2005 National Police Certificate Arrives! *(TIP: it takes FULL 40 days to arrive, so apply early!)*

09/01/2006 Visa Interview date - (cant make it, asked for another date)

30/01/2006 Visa Interview - VISA APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

02/02/2006 FLY TO NEW YORK TO BE WITH MY BABY!!! WOHOOOOOO!!! so happy!

27/03/2006 Wedding !!!!!!!!!!!!

AOS & EAD Filling:[/color]

03/03/2006 Social Security Card Arrives weeeee!!

29/03/2006 AOS Journey begins - gathering paperwork to send off next week!

24/04/2006 Vaccinations: Diptheria and Vaccination Supplement form obtained

AOS is a bit of a pain here !!!

04/27/2006 AOS & EAD sent off to Chicago finally!!! weee!!!

05/03/2006 NOA for AOS & EAD recieved!

05/22/2006 Biometrics Completed :) - for AOS & EAD

18/01/2007 EAD Approved YaY!!

02/06/2007 AOS Interview - Pending once we submit tax form 05 & prior emails/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.