CarolinaGirl

IR1/CR1 How long from NVC completion to finding out interview time

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

1. I was looking at the timelines as far as when others had NCV completion until their interview and comparing the times and most seem to be between 1.5 to 2.5 months apart. My question is how long from NVC completion until you were notified of your interview date? We received NVC completion March 22, and we will need to book airfare and such for our interview so I'm a little anxious to find out when?

2. Also my in-law's (who live in Ontario) have offered to cover my airfare cost(I'm the USC) so that myself and our 8 month old daughter can come out as well and they can see us... well really the baby is who they want to see. They have offered to watch her for a couple of days while we go to the interview, but I'm wondering if it doesn't help our case a little to have her with us? Anyone have any insight into this? Is it better for my husband to go by himself to the interview, or for myself and or our wee babe to accompany? I kind of thought we would get the sympathy vote if we have a baby with us, but maybe they are heartless :)

1. I was looking at the timelines as far as when others had NCV completion until their interview and comparing the times and most seem to be between 1.5 to 2.5 months apart. My question is how long from NVC completion until you were notified of your interview date? We received NVC completion March 22, and we will need to book airfare and such for our interview so I'm a little anxious to find out when?

2. Also my in-law's (who live in Ontario) have offered to cover my airfare cost(I'm the USC) so that myself and our 8 month old daughter can come out as well and they can see us... well really the baby is who they want to see. They have offered to watch her for a couple of days while we go to the interview, but I'm wondering if it doesn't help our case a little to have her with us? Anyone have any insight into this? Is it better for my husband to go by himself to the interview, or for myself and or our wee babe to accompany? I kind of thought we would get the sympathy vote if we have a baby with us, but maybe they are heartless :)

First off, grats on your recent CC!

1. For Canadians, in most cases the interview date is scheduled within 2-3 weeks, with an interview date around 2 months from the case completion date. You can look at my timeline below for my timeticks.

2. It doesn't really matter if the petitioner goes to the interview or not in Montreal. I went to my interview alone and it went great! And by the way, Montreal is definitely not heartless. Since Canada is a low-fraud country, there's rarely any bad reviews from members here saying they had a tough time due to heartless COs. So, it's ultimately up to you if you want to go, but it's definitely not needed.

I think this depends on the embassy. Saylin is from Canada so go by what she says. I've been waiting for 2 weeks and still nothing while other applicants from my country have gotten their date within a week of CC.

So who knows. :unsure:

01/01/2008 - Met
04/27/2010 - Engaged
08/23/2011 - Married
USCIS
10/03/2011 - I-130 Sent (USPS priority w/ delivery confirmation)
10/05/2011 - Package arrived at chicago lockbox
10/06/2011 - NOA1
11/09/2011 - NOA2 (no RFE's)
NVC
11/14/2011 - Petition received by NVC/ Received NOA2 by mail
11/21/2011 - NVC case # received by email/ Got AOS fee by email/ Called NVC to provide beneficiary email
11/27/2011 - Choice of agent (DS-3023) sent to NVC by email
.....took a break from process to delay interview....
01/26/2012 - Payed IV fee
01/27/2012 - IV fee status shown as PAID
02/07/2012 - Payed AOS fee
02/08/2012 - AOS fee status shown as PAID
02/09/ 2012 - DS-230 package sent to NVC (priority mail)
03/06/2012 - AOS package sent to NVC (priority mail)
03/12/2012 - Called NVC and found out about checklist. Sent revision to NVC that same day.
03/16/2012 - CASE COMPLETE!
04/11/2012 - Informed of interview via phone by DOS/ Got P4 email from NVC a few hours later that same day (May 4th)
SANTO DOMINGO CONSULATE
04/19/2012 - Medical
05/04/2012 - Interview (APPROVED)
05/10/2012 - Visa ready and picked up at domex
05/15/2012 - POE in Boston (together)
U. S. A
05/29/2012 - Went to SS office to apply for SS card
06/01/2012 - Welcome letter arrived (Received about 3 of these)
06/05/2012 - Green card arrived
06/15/2012- Back to SS office with green card to reapply and inquire about delay
06/18/2012 - Picked up SSN at SSA office
06/22/2012 - SS card arrived by mail

04/24/14 - Sent I-751 to remove conditions

06/09/14 - Biometrics

11/2014 - RFE from USCIS requesting more evidence before approval

Late Jan - Sent further evidence of marriage

03/05/2015 - Got letter of approval for removal of conditions

03/15/2015 - Permanent 10 yr green card received via mail

Timeline

It took NVC nearly 3 weeks to notify me of interview date and interview date was 5 weeks from notification. Although when you factor in time for medical it was really 4 weeks notice.

The downside of taking the baby to the interview is that you don't know how much waiting around there will be and I don't know how strict they will be in what you can take in to the consulate. Here's the link to the interview guidelines for Montreal. Reviews have said that people with large bags have been turned away and people with babied tend to have large bags. :)

1 Dec 2011 Mailed I-130
8 Dec 2011 NOA 1
20 Dec 2011 NOA 2

NVC

17 Jan 2012 Phoned NVC. Case Number allocated
18 Jan 2012 Emails received re AOS fee and Agent
20 Jan 2012 Electronic opt in email sent & response received
20 Jan 2012 AOS fee paid
20 Jan 2012 Form DS-261 Choice of agent filed
27 Jan 2012 Email received re choice of agent received. Can now pay IV bill
29 Jan 2012 IV bill paid
31 Jan 2012 Received written notification case at NVC (dated 18 Jan)
8 Feb 2012 Emailed AOS
9 Feb 2012 DS-260 submitted online & docs emailed
14 Feb 2012 Case Complete
5 Mar 2012 received email - interview date 10 April
10 Apr 2012 Visa Approved
10 Apr 2012 Email from Loomis - passport picked up from Consulate

June 2012 Moved back to US

Timeline

Thanks for the responses, hopefully that means we will hear something soon then. Fingers crossed!

As far as the embassy, I think I would like to be there, but we'll see I guess. I'm a worry wart so I will want to know what's happening and I won't know if I'm not in there! Our little one doesn't need much to stay entertained and I'm breastfeeding so I shouldn't need a big bag, although I would agree that babies = big bags. Thanks for the tips!

Timeline

Thanks for the responses, hopefully that means we will hear something soon then. Fingers crossed!

As far as the embassy, I think I would like to be there, but we'll see I guess. I'm a worry wart so I will want to know what's happening and I won't know if I'm not in there! Our little one doesn't need much to stay entertained and I'm breastfeeding so I shouldn't need a big bag, although I would agree that babies = big bags. Thanks for the tips!

The USA citizen does NOT have to attend the interview--its a personal choice! The interview itself is the EASIEST part of the whole process! Your lucky if it lasts 10 minutes. They ask very basic questions--how u met, what one plans to do for work in the USA, very basic. 99% of ur time at the embassy is spent waited for ur # to be called. They rarely even ask to see any evidence! Have a few pics of you together, ur child and ur golden and a very good chance they will not even ask to see that! Always recommend you bring evidence, just don't bring a lot, just make it quality stuff. Not much to do in the waiting area. Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Well I know I don't HAVE to be there, but I kind of thought that if I was there then it would make things go smoother and be more likely to be approved. I'm not so worried about proving our relationship is legitimate since we've been married for 4 years and have a child, I'm more concerned with the domicile. Perhaps I should just send him and stay home with the baby.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

eh - you might as well go to Montreal with yer husband. Be a great vacation.

Don't forget the walking poutine tour after the interview is finished . Not to be missed - prolly not get another chance for a few years.

your husband WILL have to show YOUR USA Domicile Stuff, so get that sorted, asap.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.