NYC-KK

Evidence Question

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

We sent our I751 package out on Monday and it was receive in Vermont. I am a bit concerned because I pay all of our major bills and expenses out of my individual checking account, and my wife uses our joint account, as well as several joint credit card accounts, only for discretionary spending. We did submit a lot of other important financial documents, including joint Wills and Beneficiary Statements, Power of Attorney Forms, as well as evidence that I am paying down my wife's student loans, etc. Nevertheless, I should have converted the primary checking account to a joint account long ago. I was just not thinking. I plan to do it on Monday, so that if we are asked about it we can at least show them a current statement from a joint account that is used to pay all of our major bills and expenses. Does anyone have any additional information or advice about this topic? I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Ron

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

It doesn't matter whether the joint account is the primary account. Simply HAVING a joint account is what matters. Some people submitted joint account info with close to 0 balances.

If you want to keep the bills account separate that's fine and not a problem. A lot of people do it that way to make sure people don't accidentally spend bill money.

Timeline

Thanks for the reply. I feel better. I think our Power of Attorney Forms prove that I trust my wife a lot. Also, she has use of three major credit cards and our joint account. It's just as you said, since I am the one responsible for the finances, I pay the bills from a separate account just to keep things simple and reduce the risk of an overdraft with two people drawing on the same account. I think they should understand that.

Ron

You should be OK so long as you have those other joint accounts to show. And yes, POA and wills sound like solid evidence of trust. Do you also have life, health and/or auto insurance to show?

Timeline

You should be OK so long as you have those other joint accounts to show. And yes, POA and wills sound like solid evidence of trust. Do you also have life, health and/or auto insurance to show?

We have health insurance through my employer, in addition to wills and power of attorney forms, and we filed joint income tax returns in 2010 and 2011. We also have joint apartment insurance. We receive NOA 1 today stating that her permanent resident status is extended for one year and that we will soon receive a biometrics appointment. Is that standard procedure?

Ron

Filed: Other Timeline

NYC-KKK,

you are overthinking this. If you have a genuine marriage, and can provide documents that would indicate this, your RoC will be approved. They are giving us a list of things to provide. They don't need all of those things; if you can give them a few documents that show that you live together, pay taxes together, have one bank account together, and have health insurance together, you pretty much covered it all.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Timeline

NYC-KKK,

you are overthinking this. If you have a genuine marriage, and can provide documents that would indicate this, your RoC will be approved. They are giving us a list of things to provide. They don't need all of those things; if you can give them a few documents that show that you live together, pay taxes together, have one bank account together, and have health insurance together, you pretty much covered it all.

The OP's name is NYC-KK.

We have health insurance through my employer, in addition to wills and power of attorney forms, and we filed joint income tax returns in 2010 and 2011. We also have joint apartment insurance. We receive NOA 1 today stating that her permanent resident status is extended for one year and that we will soon receive a biometrics appointment. Is that standard procedure?

That is awesome! You'll be fine! And yes, that's what we got too: your letter of extension, and later your biometrics appointment.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

It doesn't matter whether the joint account is the primary account. Simply HAVING a joint account is what matters. Some people submitted joint account info with close to 0 balances.

If you want to keep the bills account separate that's fine and not a problem. A lot of people do it that way to make sure people don't accidentally spend bill money.

Good thing I read this. Although I still have months to go for my ROC, I am already checking out the requirements and the joint account is the thing that somehow worries me. My husband and I have a joint account that we use just for groceries and weekend expenses. Everything else come out of our individual accounts.

A little sigh of relief there... Thanks.

12-16-2010 (Day 1) I-485, I-130, I-131 and I-I-765 applications sent to USCIS received
12-27-2010 (Day 11) NOAs received thru USPS plus Biometrics schedule for 1/12/2011 @ Michigan City IN and Rejection Notice for I-131.
01-05-2011 (Day 20) I-131 Refiled
01-12-2011 (Day 27) Biometrics completed in 10 minutes (whereas the drive is 1.5 hrs one-way, thanks to snowstorm in IN)
01-31-2011 (Day 46) RFE received (received via email alert)
02-22-2011 (Day 68) Response to RFE received by USCIS (received via email alert)
03-03-2011 (Day 77) EAD Card in Production (received via email alert)
03-14-2011 (Day 88) EAD/AP Combo Card Received
04-14-2011 (Day 121) Interview, Approved!
04-18-2011 (Day 125) E-mail alert received for Card/Document Production
04-23-2011 (Day 130) Green card in the mail
Removing Conditions
01/14/2013 (Day 1) Mailed out I-751 documents to CA Service Center
01/22/2013 (Day 8) Received Receipt Notice
02/13/2013 (Day 30) Biometrics Schedule @ Michigan City, IN

06/19/2013 (Day 156) E-mail alert received for Card Production

06/29/2013 (Day 166) Received card in the mail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.