Dave H

Citizenship

26 posts in this topic

I have been in America almost a year, I know I cannot take the Citizenship Test for some time yet, but do I really need to become a citizen?

I am 46 years old, a decent job that will take me through to retirement at the age of 55 as I will be taking my company pension from U.K.

I just want to know, if anyone has been here a long time and decided against the Citizenship, what benefits are there.

Thanks for any input you may have.

Dave :)

There are certain benefits to US citizens, while LPR's are not elligible. No one makes you to obtain a US citizenship if you don't want. However you have to consider few things. Renewing your GC every 10 years and pay the hefty fee to the USCIS, and make sure you do not abandon your status by living outside of the US for more then 12 month. Other then that you can remail an LPR forever.

event.png

event.png

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths." (Proverbs 3, 5-6)

Hey dave I am a USC. I guess I want to know why wouldnt you. You have been through all the other processes, wouldnt that be a reward in its own to have completed the whole process?

11/13/2011 POE LAX ( My love is finally HOME!)
11/19/2011 Married (6 days)
11/25/2011 Filed Marriage License (6 days)
12/08/2011 Sent AOS Packet ( I-485, I-130, I-797 (13 days)
12/12/2011 NOA ( Packet received) (4 days)
02/16/2012 RFE (70 days)
02/20/2012 Sent Requested Evidence Back (4 days)
02/24/2012 Notice of Receipt of Evidence (4 days)
02/25/2012 Production of EAD/AP Combo Card (1 day)
03/02/2012 Mailed EAD/AP Combo Card (6 days)
03/05/2012 Received EAD/AP Combo Card In Mail (3 days)
03/14/2012 Received Interview Notice for 4/18/2012 (9 days)
04/18/2012 Interview at 10:50 am APPROVED (4 days)
04/18/2012 Notice of Approval for GC (35 days)
04/23/2012 Card in Production email (5 days)
04/24/2012 Card in Mail (1 day)
04/26/2012 GC in hand YAYAYAYA! (2 days)

Removal Of Conditions

02/03/2014 Collect all paperwork for I-751 and over nighted to Vermont Service Center

02/05/2014 Notice of Acceptance Online (2 days)

03/12/2014 Biometrics Appointment ( Went Smooth) (35 days)

05/09/2014 Waiting!!! (58 days)

08/01/2014 I-751 APPROVED ( 142 days)

08/07/2014 Received the approval letter ( 148 days )

Naturalization

11/22/2016 Over nighted N-400 to Lewisville Texas

11/29/2016 Check Cashed!

12/05/2016 NOA

12/20/2016 Biometrics Appointment

01/30/2017 In Line for Interview

04/03/2017 Interview day! Approved (134 Days)

04/07/2017 Received Oath Ceremony Letter (137 days)

Total of 148 days in the ROC process!

Day 137 of Naturalization after starting this whole process 6 years ago.... here we go again.

Filed: Timeline

I've decided against the citizenship.... for now. The benefit of not taking out citizenship is that you don't ever have to file U.S. taxes if you decide to return to your home country. Other than that, there are more positives to becoming a citizen than negatives. It's all in your comfort level, really.

You have been through all the other processes, wouldnt that be a reward in its own to have completed the whole process?

I don't consider it a "reward".

iagree.gif

Filed: Timeline

It's not really necessary no, some don't because they either don't see the benefit of it or they don't wish to lose citizenship to another country (since some will make you forfeit). We decided against it for my wife because of her Italian Citizenship (she's dual Argentine/Italian) which we don't want to lose for various travel reasons.

Edited by extrarius

I probably will go for it... eventually. lol No rush.

April 2008- Met in person at Friday's Restaurant for dinner

July 2008 - Dating

Nov 2008 - He proposed!

July 25th 2009 - I do! Best day of my life

USCIS

July 26th 2011 - USCIS received I-130 ( I hate that we waited a long time, i guess at least we wont have to remove conditions)

Feb 8th 2012 - APPROVED!!! (197 Days or 6 1/2 months from NOA1)

NVC

Feb 21st 2012- Assign case number (13 days from approval)

March 9th 2012-Packet IV sent to NVC

March 14th 2012-NVC closed my case in 3 DAYS!!! Waiting for interview date = Nerve wrecking

Consulate

March 16th 2012-Biometrics Appointment

May 17th 2012-Interview day!!!

May 18th 2012-Will see my family again after more than 10 years...

I probably will go for it... eventually. lol No rush.

I think I may do it but not for a while. My UK passport still has 7 years, I will get a 10 year GC so really no rush. I just need to know more, mainly about benefits and my pension as I still have a UK bank account and don't know if this will be taxable even though the U.S won't know about it.

i think there is a level of safety to know that you can never get deported for some stupid reason down the road and also i think there is something to be said for the ability to vote and have your political voice heard. you pay taxes into the system yet you have no real voice in the political system as a non-citizen.

01/06/2012 - N400 sent to Lewisville, TX

01/09/2012 - N400 Received

01/12/2012 - Check Cashed

01/17/2012 - NOA Received Priority Date 01/09/2012

01/23/2012 - Biometric Letter Mailed

01/26/2012 - Biometric Letter Received Appointment Date 02/02/2012

01/27/2012 - Early Biometrics Completed

02/06/2012 - Placed in line for Interview Scheduling

02/07/2012 - Interview Letter sent out

02/11/2012 - Interview Letter Received

03/19/2012 - Interview Scheduled and APPROVED!

04/18/2012 - I'm a US CITIZEN!!

i think there is a level of safety to know that you can never get deported for some stupid reason down the road and also i think there is something to be said for the ability to vote and have your political voice heard. you pay taxes into the system yet you have no real voice in the political system as a non-citizen.

Voting doesn't botther me, only voted once in UK lol.

I think I may do it but not for a while. My UK passport still has 7 years, I will get a 10 year GC so really no rush.

You can renew your British passport forever and also have a US passport--a dual nationality so to speak.

I just need to know more, mainly about benefits and my pension as I still have a UK bank account and don't know if this will be taxable even though the U.S won't know about it.

As an LPR you are required to report foreign bank accounts if the total of all accounts exceeds $10,000 (when converted to USD.) Your first report for 2011 is due to the US Treasury Dept (not an IRS tax return item) by June 1, 2012. The form for reporting is TD F 90-22.1 and is commonly called the FBAR and has been around for years. Info http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=210244,00.html

It is not taxable because you have already paid UK income tax at the time you earned the money and put it in the bank. If you earn interest on any UK accounts or pensions, that is reportable as income on your tax return. If you pay UK tax on the interest earned, then a foreign tax credit may apply.

New IRS requirements this year include Form 8938 commonly called FATCA for reporting (as part of your tax return) foreign assets and accounts and the value of your pension seems to fall into that category by most interpretations. Real estate does not unless it is for investment (like renting out the house.) There are threshholds. In general if the value of all accounts together (bank, pensions, shares, etc) exceed $100k if married, then you file Form 8938 as part of your return. FATCA info http://www.irs.gov/businesses/corporations/article/0,,id=255061,00.html

When you start getting monthly pension payouts, that is taxable as income. If UK taxes are taken out, then that may be another story. You can request that no UK tax be levied because you will be paying US tax. It's all to do with tax treaties and we haven't gotten to receiving the UK pension yet so I don't know the details.

Advantage to citizenship: If you get abducted in a foreign country, the US Navy SEALS will blast their way in and load you up in a helicopter, while leaving your captors full of bullet holes...oh nevermind...I watch too much TV. :lol:

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

You can renew your British passport forever and also have a US passport--a dual nationality so to speak.

As an LPR you are required to report foreign bank accounts if the total of all accounts exceeds $10,000 (when converted to USD.) Your first report for 2011 is due to the US Treasury Dept (not an IRS tax return item) by June 1, 2012. The form for reporting is TD F 90-22.1 and is commonly called the FBAR and has been around for years. Info http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=210244,00.html

It is not taxable because you have already paid UK income tax at the time you earned the money and put it in the bank. If you earn interest on any UK accounts or pensions, that is reportable as income on your tax return. If you pay UK tax on the interest earned, then a foreign tax credit may apply.

New IRS requirements this year include Form 8938 commonly called FATCA for reporting (as part of your tax return) foreign assets and accounts and the value of your pension seems to fall into that category by most interpretations. Real estate does not unless it is for investment (like renting out the house.) There are threshholds. In general if the value of all accounts together (bank, pensions, shares, etc) exceed $100k if married, then you file Form 8938 as part of your return. FATCA info http://www.irs.gov/businesses/corporations/article/0,,id=255061,00.html

When you start getting monthly pension payouts, that is taxable as income. If UK taxes are taken out, then that may be another story. You can request that no UK tax be levied because you will be paying US tax. It's all to do with tax treaties and we haven't gotten to receiving the UK pension yet so I don't know the details.

Advantage to citizenship: If you get abducted in a foreign country, the US Navy SEALS will blast their way in and load you up in a helicopter, while leaving your captors full of bullet holes...oh nevermind...I watch too much TV. :lol:

Wow, that's a lot of info, thanks. I will need to ask my pension provider to find about the taxing issues.

I decided to go for US Citizenship for two reasons:

1. The right to vote (taxation without representation!!!)

2. The ability to return to the UK in the future without losing my right of abode in the United States.

I have to admit that the taxation issue is a tough one to get over (the requirement to submit a tax return each year and pay taxes on any earnings over the foreign income exclusion) but I figured it was worth it due to the two reasons above.

I decided to go for US Citizenship for two reasons:

1. The right to vote (taxation without representation!!!)

2. The ability to return to the UK in the future without losing my right of abode in the United States.

I have to admit that the taxation issue is a tough one to get over (the requirement to submit a tax return each year and pay taxes on any earnings over the foreign income exclusion) but I figured it was worth it due to the two reasons above.

My USC wife does all my finances and taxes, but as I can see there are just a couple of reasons why I should become a citizen. I will obviously look deeper into it and ask some UK friends over here to ask their opinion as well. Sorry I couldn't reply fully earlier, I was at work and using my phone and the writing was really small.

Thanks everyone.

Dave :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Your wife won't lose her Italian citizenship if she acquires US citizenship.

From http://www.esteri.it/MAE/EN/Ministero/Servizi/Sportello_Info/DomandeFrequenti/Cittadinanza/#domanda14 :

I am an Italian citizen but am living abroad. If I take another citizenship will I lose my Italian one?

Since 15 August 1992 the voluntary acquisition of foreign citizenship no longer leads to automatic loss of Italian citizenship, with the exception of citizenship in any of the following States: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Luxembourg, Netherlands and Norway. (France allows for some exceptions in the cases of facilitated naturalisation envisaged in the II Amendment Protocol to the Strasbourg Convention of 24.03.1995).

It's not really necessary no, some don't because they either don't see the benefit of it or they don't wish to lose citizenship to another country (since some will make you forfeit). We decided against it for my wife because of her Italian Citizenship (she's dual Argentine/Italian) which we don't want to lose for various travel reasons.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

:dance: :dance: :rofl: :rofl: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

Oct 28,2006 Met online in Yahoo messenger
Dec 2,2007 Traveled to Morocco and decided to stay
Jan 7,2008 Got married in Zaio
Mar 2,2008 Got my Moroccan residency
Oct 23,2008 Direct Consular filed at consulate
Oct 31,2008 Got interview call for Dec 22nd
Nov 11,2008 Medical exam done
Dec 22,2008 Interview and got approved
Dec 23,2008 Visa issued, thanks to God
Jan 20,2009 Flew home to Texas.
Jan 21,2009 Living and working in Los Fresnos, Texas
Oct 30,2010 Filed I-751 Lifting of Conditions
Nov 2, 2010 NOA1
Dec 10,2010 Biometrics
Mar 23,2011 Approved Lifting of Conditions
Oct 28,2011 Filed N-400 Naturalization
Nov 02,2011 NOA 1
Nov 28,2011 Recd text/email placed inline for interview schedule
Dec 01,2011 Recd text/email interview scheduled,pending letter
Jan 10,2012 Interview Date
Jan 10,2012 Interview Cancelled and will be rescheduled per
USCIS as Farid can only interview after Jan 20th
Feb 23,2012 Citizenship Interview Date-Farid passed. Wohoo
July 6,2012 Oath Ceremony-McAllen Texas

March 20,2013 Petitioned for Momma

March 9, 2015 Momma arrives in Texas to live with us.

January 30, 2016 Momma leaves back to Morocco for a visit.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.