DonneyBespaliuk

Joint sponsor on form I-134 (Affidavit of Support)

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My mother meets the requirements of 125% or more above the poverty line and has agreed to be the joint sponsor for my fiancé, since I don't meet the poverty line.

Our issue is how is it filled out? I'm afraid I'll put my information instead of hers, or vice versa (as in who signs it ect.) Any help will be appreciated :) especially any examples of this for me to follow, because thus far, I haven't found any.

Timeline

My mother meets the requirements of 125% or more above the poverty line and has agreed to be the joint sponsor for my fiancé, since I don't meet the poverty line.

Our issue is how is it filled out? I'm afraid I'll put my information instead of hers, or vice versa (as in who signs it ect.) Any help will be appreciated :) especially any examples of this for me to follow, because thus far, I haven't found any.

You each fill out seperate i-134.

Timeline

You each fill out seperate i-134.

thank you :)

so, on both of them, do I fill out the first page, stating how I (my name) am the one who filed the I-129 F and state my unemployment and lack of income on Affidavit of support #1 and let mom put her financial info on Affidavit of Support #2? if that makes sense.

Edited by DonneyBespaliuk

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

so, on both of them, do I fill out the first page, stating how I (my name) am the one who filed the I-129 F and state my unemployment and lack of income on Affidavit of support #1 and let mom put her financial info on Affidavit of Support #2? if that makes sense.

No. She fills out her own separate I-134. She is not the petitioner, you are. Her info on the form won't be the same as yours.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

You each fill out a separate I-134 and each of you attach your own documentation to the form. Your mother will also need to attach evidence she is a US citizen or Permanent Resident (birth certificate or copy of her passport) and supporting documentation for each claim she makes. Her family size will be herself, your fiancee and any other dependents she has. YOUR family size will be two, you and your fiancee. Your mother DOES NOT claim you as a dependent.

There will be two complete, separate I-134s and supporting documents.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

You each fill out a separate I-134 and each of you attach your own documentation to the form. Your mother will also need to attach evidence she is a US citizen or Permanent Resident (birth certificate or copy of her passport) and supporting documentation for each claim she makes. Her family size will be herself, your fiancee and any other dependents she has. YOUR family size will be two, you and your fiancee. Your mother DOES NOT claim you as a dependent.

thank you, that's super helpful :)

• 6 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Thanks for this information, it has helped me a lot. I have a similar situation in that I might be just under the poverty level income and I am concerned I wouldn't be able to qualify as a sponsor by myself, and I have a few doubts about how my parent should fill out the I-134.

1. On section 3 of the I-134 under "Relationship to Sponsor", what should my parent fill in?

2. On section 8, for dependents, should the parent include myself and my fiancee if we will have the same address, or only the dependents they claim in their tax return?

3. On section 9, if my parent has previously submitted I-864's for two of my family members, should he list them here, or does this refer only to I-134 affidavits?

4. On section 11, as I mentioned if we will be under teh same address, should my parent check the "I Intend" or "do not" box refering to specific contributions?

Thanks for any help!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thanks for this information, it has helped me a lot. I have a similar situation in that I might be just under the poverty level income and I am concerned I wouldn't be able to qualify as a sponsor by myself, and I have a few doubts about how my parent should fill out the I-134.

1. On section 3 of the I-134 under "Relationship to Sponsor", what should my parent fill in?

They can put 'future father/mother-in-law'.

2. On section 8, for dependents, should the parent include myself and my fiancee if we will have the same address, or only the dependents they claim in their tax return?

They only put their spouse, dependent children or other dependents claimed on their taxes.

3. On section 9, if my parent has previously submitted I-864's for two of my family members, should he list them here, or does this refer only to I-134 affidavits?

Yes, they must be listed and will be counted in the household size.

4. On section 11, as I mentioned if we will be under teh same address, should my parent check the "I Intend" or "do not" box refering to specific contributions?

They can follow the example form and check neither, or put 'intend' and still put what it says on the example form: http://www.visajourney.com/examples/Form-I-134.pdf

Thanks for any help!

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Thank you J-K!

This was quite helpful. I finished my own I-134, but my joint sponsor's (step-parent) continues to puzzle me.

I saw the example on the link you shared,and that helped as well. I am still slightly unsure on what my step-parent should put on Section 9. The reason being that he sponsored my mother and myself with an I-864 several years ago. My mother is being claimed as a dependent on his tax returns, but I became a citizen and no longer need his support and I am not claimed as a dependent.

My question is, would it be necessary to put my mother on both sections 8 and 9 or only on 8, and also myself in section 9 if I no longer require his support?

As a final note, on section 11, I will have my step-parent include the explanation exactly as on the example you shared, but would it be better if I write the following:

"N/A (K1 Visa process for permanent residence) All living expenses and room and board will be provided by me for as long as the beneficiary requires it."

Thanks in advance for your responses.

• 4 years later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.