ChristinaandVarun

Big age difference

80 posts in this topic

Do I need to be concerned with the possibility of denial due to the big age difference between my husband and I? >15 years...

We are very much in love and don't believe age is a reason to keep us apart...

Anyone have first hand knowledge on this topic?

Filed: Timeline

Do I need to be concerned with the possibility of denial due to the big age difference between my husband and I? >15 years...We are very much in love and don't believe age is a reason to keep us apart...Anyone have first hand knowledge on this topic?

Big age gaps are generally a big red flag to the consulates, especially in certain countries. I don't know how "tough" various consulates in India are, but be prepared to be asked about age. If you have a real marriage and can document this, age gap won't prevent you from getting a visa :)

That being said, I've seen bigger age gaps than 15 years..

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

It is very likely it may play a role in your case...I'd recommend heading over to the India subforum. There is currently a thread on inter-racial couples that also speaks to age difference, religion differences, etc. If you happen to be going through New Delhi, you are going to need to be very prepared.

I haven't been concerned about the age difference merely due to the fact that we are in love and have a very real marriage......I saw a post today, a member said their age difference played a role in husbands denial....I'm starting to triple stress out

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Question.....is it the same difficulty when the lady is WAY younger and the man is the petitioner???? I dont see this much as a consulate issue in certain countries that tend to be the norm with this age ratio.... :whistle:

OP Sorry about the situation. In Morocco it is also looked at with a magnifying glass and we feel the ramifications. Sometimes justly and sometime the honest relationships are caught in the drainage too

Good Luck :star:

Edited by inluvnwaiting

event.png

event.png

Timeline

Well - he may still need to interview in India as he is still an Indian citizen - other posters may have more/better information on how it works when someone is in a 3rd country [not the US and not the beneficiary's home country] is up for interviewing. I vaguely recall people needing to "return home" for their visa interview.

The "big" red flags for India:

-large age difference [woman being older - this can be mitigated if both parties are "older" and child-bearing age is no longer a factor]

-prior marriages

-children from previous relationships

-different religions

-differing socio-economic and education levels [one is a manual worker and the other has a PhD] etc

-marrying on the first trip

Do not super stress - numerous trips, family approval, time face-to-face, etc can all help overcome the initial red flags.

Filed: Timeline

Question.....is it the same difficulty when the lady is WAY younger and the man is the petitioner????

My guess is it probably sends a bigger red flag if the wife is much older than the husband - just simply for the fact that it's less common. Is it fair? Probably not, but the consulates do have the right to raise eyebrows at "uncommon" relationships.

Question.....is it the same difficulty when the lady is WAY younger and the man is the petitioner????

Good Luck :star:

Yes, it can be.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

It wasn't even an issue with the embassy in Egypt for us. I had read that ppl were denied due to a huge age difference. As I see it if you have all your evidence and have earned enough money to sponsor OR have a co sponsor that earns enough you will be fine. Make sure you have eveything in order and be well prepared for the interview. The 18 year difference wasn't even mentioned, but I have to say I worried a lot about things I read on VJ. Good Luck to you:)

event.png

event.png

I'm a BIG red flag....I'm much older than my husband, one previous marriage 18 years ago and one child from previous marriage......stressing...

How did you meet?

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

It wasn't even an issue with the embassy in Egypt for us. I had read that ppl were denied due to a huge age difference. As I see it if you have all your evidence and have earned enough money to sponsor OR have a co sponsor that earns enough you will be fine. Make sure you have eveything in order and be well prepared for the interview. The 18 year difference wasn't even mentioned, but I have to say I worried a lot about things I read on VJ. Good Luck to you:)

I think you were the exception to the rule of age red flag.

Maybe you sent in alot of proof? Maybe you front loaded.

There is a reason that he got approved.

And usually it is because you showeed enough proof of a real relationship

people with red flags just need to be prepared for any questions and show proof of bona-fide relationships

CONGRATS on your marriage!!!

May 24, 2011 NOA1

Sept 11, 2011 NOA2-took 19 days to get case number

Sept 30, 2011 NVC number and IIN received Friday-gotta wait till Monday

Oct 13, 2011 Case Completed- 13 days from receiving case number Took 32 days from NOA2

Nov 30, 2011 Notified of Interview date

January 19, 2012 Interview- 240 days from NOA1

INTERVIEW RESULTS-APPROVED WITH 14 WEEKS AP--but he got his visa in 56 days!!!!!!

PLEASE EDIT YOUR TIMELINE IN YOUR PROFILE SO OTHERS CAN LEARN HOW LONG EACH STEP TAKES IN THIS PROCESS

Timeline

Red flags are just that, things that peak the attention of the CO. It does NOT mean you won't get the visa.

Which consulate would your hubby be interviewing through if he interviews in India - Delhi, Mumbai???

Have you met his family? Did he meet any of your family? Did you do anything traditional in your relationship? [Engagement party with his desi friends/family in Sydney?] Is his family all over the world with their work/schooling? Have they inter-married with other cultures? Him being from a "progressive" family may contribute favorably to your case.

Did you file on your own or did you use an attorney? Did you front load your petition with a lot of relationship proof?

I know this is a lot to think about but you need to look at your relationship as a legal case, not a romantic story. It sucks to think of it that way, but it is what it is - immigration can be a tough nut for some [been there, done that].

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.