Xanax

What do you love about the US?

68 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

What do you love about the states?

My partner and I just started our K1 journey, but already I am nervous about how I will fit in and things I will miss.

I see a thread (and have commented in it) about what people miss about their home country, but what do you LOVE or think is better in the US? What would you miss if you moved home apart from your spouse of course!!

I'm hoping you guys can give me some things to get excited about!

I know all areas are different so, I am moving to Minnesota of anyone has any regional advice as well ;)

We became a couple : 2011-05-29
I visited him : 2011-10-28 - 2011-11-17
He visited me (and my crazy family) : 2012-02-05 - 2012-02-17
I-129F Sent : 2012-02-05
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-14
I entered on VWP to stay 3 months: 2012-04-11 - 2012-07-03
---
Went to get my medical done for interview in Australia (much cheaper in the US and I was already here):2012-05-20
Medical issue diagnosed
K-1 petition cancellation request sent to CSC : 2012-06-01
Married: 2012-06-21
Filed for AOS : 2012-08-08
NOA1 : 2012-08-10
Biometrics : 2012-09-14
EAD approved : 2012-10-16
Applied for SSN : 2012-11-01
Received SSN : 2012-11-13
Received interview notice :2012-12-27
Interview- APPROVED :2013-01-28
Green card received :2013-02-04
Baby girl born :2013-03-09

Filed for ROC :2014-12-05
NOA :2014-12-11
Biometrics : 2015-01-15

ROC Approval : 2015-05-14

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

What do you love about the states?

My partner and I just started our K1 journey, but already I am nervous about how I will fit in and things I will miss.

I see a thread (and have commented in it) about what people miss about their home country, but what do you LOVE or think is better in the US? What would you miss if you moved home apart from your spouse of course!!

I'm hoping you guys can give me some things to get excited about!

I know all areas are different so, I am moving to Minnesota of anyone has any regional advice as well ;)

We became a couple : 2011-05-29
I visited him : 2011-10-28 - 2011-11-17
He visited me (and my crazy family) : 2012-02-05 - 2012-02-17
I-129F Sent : 2012-02-05
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-14
I entered on VWP to stay 3 months: 2012-04-11 - 2012-07-03
---
Went to get my medical done for interview in Australia (much cheaper in the US and I was already here):2012-05-20
Medical issue diagnosed
K-1 petition cancellation request sent to CSC : 2012-06-01
Married: 2012-06-21
Filed for AOS : 2012-08-08
NOA1 : 2012-08-10
Biometrics : 2012-09-14
EAD approved : 2012-10-16
Applied for SSN : 2012-11-01
Received SSN : 2012-11-13
Received interview notice :2012-12-27
Interview- APPROVED :2013-01-28
Green card received :2013-02-04
Baby girl born :2013-03-09

Filed for ROC :2014-12-05
NOA :2014-12-11
Biometrics : 2015-01-15

ROC Approval : 2015-05-14

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I know how your feeling and it will be tough to adjust to, however, as long as you are with your fiance(e) I think you will do just fine.

I will miss my family and friends the most. I'm sure I will make new friends but it still sucks. Also, there are certain restaurants/food that would not be available in the US.

What I enjoyed about the US when I was visiting was the prices of everything lol Canada has extremely high prices for everything (gas, clothing, food, utilities, banking) so I guess I will save some money.

The US generally had more opportunities (not lately) but I am sure the economy will pick up soon.

Even after I move, I will consider myself a Canadian living in the US for a LONG time. But eventually I will want to become a citizen so that I can vote (and elections in the US are so much more interesting :D)

10/25/2011 - Sent I129F to Texas

10/28/2011 - Texas received/Check Cashed

11/01/2011 - NOA1 (6 days after mailing)

03/22/2012 - NOA2 (142 days after NOA1)

04/20/2012 - Received Interview Date (June 4th)

05/22/2012 - Medisys Medical(Done!)

06/04/2012 - Interview in MTL (APPROVED!)

event.png

ticker.png

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

the Mexican food!.. the closest I got to Mexican food in Canada was the Taco kits you can buy at the grocery store or Taco Bell... :P

Also I concur about grocery prices.. the last time we went to Canada we bought a lot of groceries and I couldn't believe the prices compared to here in the US.. I guess I had gotten used to the lower prices here.. like a pack of chicken cost 10 bucks there and here you can get the same size pack for 5 bucks or less...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

From my visits to the US (but OMG I'm almost done my K-1 process!) I liked:

- Mexican food, which is almost non-existent in my area and whatever is here is completely horrible and expensive. I've ate burritos at dives in Los Angeles and they are better than mid-scale I've had in Vancouver.

- Amazon.com. So much cheaper than Amazon.ca

- Fast postal services and much much cheaper plus runs on Saturdays.

- Cheaper Booze! Booze is 2-3 times more money in Canada. $2 wine at the grocery store?! Cheapest I found locally is $8.50.

- Cheese/dairy SO CHEAP... I saw a brick of cheese at Vons in Long Beach that was $7. That brick in Canada at Superstore is $22... Yeah... WTH.

Edited by awkwardsoul

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

At first I though, I wouldn't be able to come up with anything except for my husband.

But actually there are some things that I like...

I like how cheap clothing is here. Anything from discount stores to the most expensive stores sells clothes 2-3 times cheaper than the same type of stores in Russia. The same thing with cameras, laptops, cars...

I love some local food, seafood mostly. I am absolutely addicted to crab cakes :lol:

I also think that once the economy picks up, there will be more career opportunities for everybody than, maybe, anywhere in the world.

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

1. Definitely the shopping (clothes, food etc)... You can get sooooo much with so little here. :yes:

2. Mail is delivered on a Saturday

3. Really great restaurants... Restaurants tend to be more kid-friendly

4. Good opportunities and resources in terms of education and general advancement

5. Stores are open late!!!

Good topic!

Well I haven't moved yet but from my past visits:

- I vote for Mexican food too! Not only Mexican actually, but international food like Chinese, Thaï, Japanese, African... these types of restaurants in France are usually non-existant outside of major cities, and they're very, very far from the original cuisine.

- In N Out burgers. REALLY.

- Diners. I'm totally fascinated by diners, maybe cause I've seen them in movies since I was a kid, and I'm happy as a clam to eat cheap food there (even at Denny's!!).

- ICE-CREAM!! Man, American ice-cream is THE best in the world. If you're more into fruit sorbets I guess you'd prefer Italian, but if you go for thick ice-cream with a lot of bonus stuff in it, American is what you need!! My favorite place so far is Baskin Robbins. I stay away from healthy frozen yogurt...

- EVERYTHING (except for freshly baked bread and... stuff that comes from France) is cheaper than in France: food, clothing, utilities (except for internet connection), cars, gas, electronics, furniture.... Thank you €!!

- VAT is low.

- I love drugstores. We don't have that here, pharmacies are really meant to sell medication and that's about it. I can spend hours in a CVS Pharmacy, and I get all excited everytime I see one (it makes my husband laugh...). I just find it extremely cool to be able to buy a new lipstick, shampoo, Tylenol, potato chips and Easter decoration in the same place PLUS get a flu shot in the end. Awesome.

- in general, people are a lot more positive, supporting, friendly and open than in France. People actually talk to you and smile when they bump into you in the supermarket. I had to train my mother in law not to smile at men she didn't know here cause she was giving them false hopes. Then they would follow her.

- freedom. Live the way you want as long as you don't disturb me.

- the job market might be bad right now but it's still a land of opportunities. People don't keep telling you what you wanna do is impossible. They think you can be successful.

- you can spend money you don't have thanks to your credit cards. We don't do that in France, we only really get debit cards.

- the wilderness, national parks, nature.

- outdoor activities being very popular, like hiking, camping...

- the place I'm gonna move to is a very nice area on the Pacific coast with year round mild temperatures and mostly nice weather.

There's more but that's what came to my mind first.

EDIT: I forgot something important: public services are not on strike every other day. I'm SICK of it.

Very comprehensive! Love it! :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Not sure if I 'LOVE' these, but definitely like them....

- (most) Costumer service

- Post Office, slow Mexican mail sucks!

- Shopping!

- Amazon

- I like how (most) people care A LOT about their pets too.

- Colorado weather and the outdoors! where I live in Mexico is darn hot.

- friendly people

Wish I could say I like mexican food better here but can't beat the real real mexican :P Although I like that I am able to find some mexican ingredients/spices here.

K1 visa
Filed I-129: Dec 3rd 2010
Interview: July 6th 2011 APPROVED!

AOS
Filed: Oct 4th 2011
AOS Interview: Feb 7th 2012 - RFE sad.png
AOS Approved: Feb 9th - without sending RFE
Green Card received: Feb 17th smile.png

ROC

Filed: Nov 13th 2013

Approved: March 13th 2014

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Good topic!

Well I haven't moved yet but from my past visits:

- I vote for Mexican food too! Not only Mexican actually, but international food like Chinese, Thaï, Japanese, African... these types of restaurants in France are usually non-existant outside of major cities, and they're very, very far from the original cuisine.

- In N Out burgers. REALLY.

- Diners. I'm totally fascinated by diners, maybe cause I've seen them in movies since I was a kid, and I'm happy as a clam to eat cheap food there (even at Denny's!!).

- ICE-CREAM!! Man, American ice-cream is THE best in the world. If you're more into fruit sorbets I guess you'd prefer Italian, but if you go for thick ice-cream with a lot of bonus stuff in it, American is what you need!! My favorite place so far is Baskin Robbins. I stay away from healthy frozen yogurt...

- EVERYTHING (except for freshly baked bread and... stuff that comes from France) is cheaper than in France: food, clothing, utilities (except for internet connection), cars, gas, electronics, furniture.... Thank you €!!

- VAT is low.

- I love drugstores. We don't have that here, pharmacies are really meant to sell medication and that's about it. I can spend hours in a CVS Pharmacy, and I get all excited everytime I see one (it makes my husband laugh...). I just find it extremely cool to be able to buy a new lipstick, shampoo, Tylenol, potato chips and Easter decoration in the same place PLUS get a flu shot in the end. Awesome.

- in general, people are a lot more positive, supporting, friendly and open than in France. People actually talk to you and smile when they bump into you in the supermarket. I had to train my mother in law not to smile at men she didn't know here cause she was giving them false hopes. Then they would follow her.

- freedom. Live the way you want as long as you don't disturb me.

- the job market might be bad right now but it's still a land of opportunities. People don't keep telling you what you wanna do is impossible. They think you can be successful.

- you can spend money you don't have thanks to your credit cards. We don't do that in France, we only really get debit cards.

- the wilderness, national parks, nature.

- outdoor activities being very popular, like hiking, camping...

- the place I'm gonna move to is a very nice area on the Pacific coast with year round mild temperatures and mostly nice weather.

There's more but that's what came to my mind first.

EDIT: I forgot something important: public services are not on strike every other day. I'm SICK of it.

haha, this sounds EXACTLY like what my fiance would say. Especially IN N OUT and diners. He also loves the drugstores lol. Thats awesome what a positive attitude you have :) Oh, and i saw you love the national parks and things, have you been to yosemite or big sur yet? Those are must sees for sure :)

K1 Visa

K1 Visa

Service Center : California Service Center

I-129F Sent : 2011-08-15

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-08-22

I-129F RFE(s) : 2012-01-26

RFE Reply(s) : 2012-02-06

I-129F NOA2 : 2012-02-13

Packet received: 2012-02-27

Interview Date :2012-05-01

Interview Result :Approved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Haven't been in US, but have been dealing with my alot of clients in US and alot of other countries for over 5+ years.

I would love in US:

#1 - Very friendly people. Always say Hello and acknowledge to everyone. I always have good time to deal with them.

#2 - Customer Support. Good thing about buy any product, and can return it within 30 days. Without hassle. Really love this thing. Since I dont find this feature in India and really hard time to return any crappy stuff.

#3 - Amazon ( to buy the electronic stuff ). of course, electronic stuff are cheaper in US compare to India.

#4 - Neat & Clean Beach in Florida. Where in India, beaches are not clean, always some plastic, alot of garbage everywhere.

#5 - Good Traffic Control, less pollution, but where in India, traffic control is not that good. Driving is indeed crazy and pollution is a big problem.

#6 - USA Bank services, allow phone transfer, alot of features to do it online and thru phone. Of course, bank interest rate is very bad.

#7 - Credit cards, discount, alot of reward points and alot of options to redeem. Love it! :-) I am going to use Global transfer for my Indian Amex card, so I can get the Amex card in US once I get there.

#8 - Nice road, nice garden, nice houses! :-) Where we got the house, it has very peaceful location. That is what I love!

There are alot of things that I love, and that is what I can remember for now.

XrVRp5.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

haha, this sounds EXACTLY like what my fiance would say. Especially IN N OUT and diners. He also loves the drugstores lol. Thats awesome what a positive attitude you have :) Oh, and i saw you love the national parks and things, have you been to yosemite or big sur yet? Those are must sees for sure :)

I did go to Yosemite in 2010 and I really loved it, it was the very first time I camped in the wild and we had a fire (hubby forgot the marshmallows!!!), we also saw chipmunks and a whole family of deers, very exciting!

Big Sur is definitely on our list of places to go asap, as well as the Grand Canyon.

Too bad we'll only have 2 weeks vacation a year and not 5 plus over a dozen extra days like here, that's not enought to explore!! :P

CR1 Visa

USCIS STAGE: 16 days No expedite request but USC residing abroad
NVC STAGE: 19 days from case # to case complete
EMBASSY STAGE
03/27/12: interview - APPROVED
04/12/12: POE San Diego

ROC
12/19/14: received reminder letter from USCIS to file for ROC
01/15/14: sent I-751 application

05/14/14: received card production notification by e-mail, approval date 05/13

Naturalization

02/01/24: N-400 submitted online; Biometrics reuse notice received immediately online; "case being actively reviewed" after a couple hours

02/09/24: received NOA1 by mail

02/10/24: received biometrics reuse notice by mail

04/08/24: interview scheduled for 05/14. Received "We have taken an action in your case" email.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.