^_^

Santorum fishing for Democratic votes: Nothing wrong with that?

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Monday night the Santorum campaign admitted it was sending out robocalls in Michigan trying to get Democrats to vote for its candidate over Mitt Romney. Romney’s spokesman, Ryan Williams, pounced, sending out a release that read: “It is outrageous that Rick Santorum is inviting Democrats into the Republican primary to vote against Mitt Romney. Rick Santorum has moved beyond just ‘taking one for the team,’ he is now willing to wear the other team’s jersey if he thinks it will get him more votes. We believe that Republicans will decide who wins Michigan — and we are confident that will be Mitt Romney.”

This morning Romney personally unloaded on Santorum on an appearance on Fox and Friends, telling voters: “It’s a dirty trick. It’s outrageous to see Rick Santorum team up with the Obama people and go out after union labor in Detroit and try and get them to vote against me. Look, we don’t want Democrats deciding who our nominee is going to be. We want Republicans deciding who our nominee is going to be. I know why Obama doesn’t want me to face him, but I just think it’s outrageous and disgusting, a terrible dirty trick. At the last hour, by the way, late in the afternoon on the day before the election, maybe hoping no one would notice, they start sending out calls to Democrats, union members, telling them to go into the Republican primary and vote against Mitt Romney. This is reminiscent of the dirty tricks in the past and it’s got to end and I think Rick Santorum has a lot of explaining to do.”

Well, let’s unpack this whole thing. For starters, the ad could easily have been construed as coming from a legitimate Democratic organization. The Fix reports:

“Michigan Democrats can vote in the Republican primary on Tuesday,” the narrator says in a copy of the call initially obtained by Talking Points Memo. “Why is it so important? Romney supported the bailout for his Wall Street billionaire buddies, but opposed the auto bailout. That was a slap in the face to every Michigan worker. And we’re not going to let Romney get away with it.”

Then the ad closes with: “This call is supported by hard-working Democratic men and women and paid for by Rick Santorum for President.

Despite the disclaimer, the source of the ad was initially unclear when TPM first posted it, and some even thought it was a dirty trick played by Democrats seeking to get supporters to vote for Santorum over Romney. Democrats have toed the line of actively encouraging Democrats to vote against Romney.

It’s also an odd message considering that Santorum also opposed the auto bailout.

Aside from some strategic ambiguity as to the origin of the ad, there is nothing legally or even politically wrong with going after Democratic votes. The primary is not limited to registered Republicans. Just as GOP candidates in New Hampshire appealed to independent voters who were allowed to vote in that contest, it is perfectly acceptable to try to maximize a candidate’s votes by corralling Democrats. If the GOP wants a closed primary, it can have one.

That said, it’s rather embarrassing to be caught snuggling up to pro-union Democrats since Santorum characterizes himself to Romney’s right. The robocalls are either trying to confuse voters that Santorum supported the auto bailout (which he did not), or an admission that Santorum is perceived as the weaker candidate (Democrats, come vote for me to help you in November!). It sure does muddy his message, which is that he’s the one with the bolder contrasts to go up against Obama.

This is an inside-baseball story that is not likely to influence actual voters today (other than to inform some Democrats that the ad is from Santorum and not actual Democrats). Moreover, the number of mischief-making voters who are really going to bother to vote, I imagine, is quite small.

The impact of the story, if any, is to give Romney an excuse if he loses in Michigan and to muddle Santorum’s message. In his anxiousness to try to pull in a few Democratic voters, Santorum has undercut his own self-description as the most Republican of the Republican candidates and conveyed a certain desperation.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/post/santorum-fishing-for-democratic-votes-nothing-wrong-with-that/2012/02/27/gIQATuZreR_blog.html

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I fish for Democrats too. It's easy to lure in sheep.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Timeline

Democrats should turn out for Rick in the GOP primary. If Romney can't carry Michigan today, he's all but done.

No way. Santorum kicks azz on super Tuesday then Romney is in trouble. Michigan is small potatoes and meaningless.

Filed: Timeline

No way. Santorum kicks azz on super Tuesday then Romney is in trouble. Michigan is small potatoes and meaningless.

In terms of delegates, yes. But the Romney campaign was (prior to the recent Santorum ascendancy) talking up Michigan as Mitt's "home state" and an easy win. A Santorum win in MI would be symbolic and would create a narrative in the media.

Timeline

In terms of delegates, yes. But the Romney campaign was (prior to the recent Santorum ascendancy) talking up Michigan as Mitt's "home state" and an easy win. A Santorum win in MI would be symbolic and would create a narrative in the media.

It may be worth a chat is all. Super Tuesday will take a lot of money to do well. I have seen Santorum so far bring in enough to compete except in the lwo value states. Romney has the money.

What about Ron Paul?

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

What about Ron Paul?

RP is looking more and more like he is part of Mitt's operation! He is helping to siphon off conservative GOP voters who don't like Mitt, preventing a conservative that might otherwise have a chance at the nomination from getting delegates.

Why would he do this? What about VP RAND Paul?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Nothing wrong with that on two counts.

1. Romney did the same. Telling union members he owns 5 American made cars including his wife's 2 Cadillacs is doing the same thing, but not as efficiently. Too bad for him

2. The entire primary process is nothing but chickensh*t party members afraid to make a decision and giving it off as a popularity contest, so why not rig the results? They want to let Dems vote in their primary, you get what you deserve. Don't like it? Then go back to man-ing up and nominating a candiadate at your convention and spare us this primary Bullsh*t.

And if Romney cannot carry his home state because of a few robo-calls he has bigger problems.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla