Nuna1234

Filling out name on I-485

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country:
Timeline

Hello All,

I have a quick question. I'm filling out the I-485 for my soon to be wife and am wondering if on the form I should be filling in her married name(she will be adding my last name and dropping hers) or should the form be completed as her single name(which is how all the K1 visa forms were completed). Any assistance on this question is much appreciated. I want to avoid the application being rejected due to error or trouble down the road with a green card with an unmarried name.

Thank you,

Franklin Henriquez

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If she is going to use her married name then all forms should be filled out in the married name.

The green card will arrive in the name that you use on the forms.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I agree with Inky, we filed with maiden name and then switched the name at the AOS interview. PS don't think they like hyphenated names.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I agree with Inky, we filed with maiden name and then switched the name at the AOS interview. PS don't think they like hyphenated names.

Just to add to this - not all AOS from K1's get interviews so if Bigdog hadn't got an interview they would have got the card in maiden name and either waited 2 years for ROC to change it OR paid $450 to change the GC... so make sure you REALLY think about what name you want and put that name on the form :D

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: El Salvador
Timeline

A good rule to follow is use the names shown on the marriage certificate.

Background Information

12/20/2001***MOVED TO THE US ON A B-2 VISA

06/19/2002***I-94 EXPIRED

02/14/2011***GOT ENGAGED

08/12/2011***WEDDING DAY <3

08/18/2011***B-2 VISA EXPIRED

AOS Progress

Day 00: 02/14/2012***FILED PAPERWORK I-130,I-485,I-785

Day 07: 02/21/2012***Notice of Action 1 for all three applications =)

Day 17: 03/02/2012***ASC BIOMETRICS APPOINTMENT LETTER FOR 3/20/2012

Day 22: 03/07/2012***WALK IN BIOMETRIC APPOINTMENT DONE! =)

Day 66: 04/20/2012***EAD APPROVAL/ CARD IN PRODUCTION.

Day 73: 04/28/2012***RECEIVED EAD

Day 75: 04/30/2012***APPLIED FOR SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.