bcagney

Biometrics reschedule

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi guys,

My wife just received her biometrics appointment date but cannot make it that day. Are we able to reschedule it for a specific day? The instructions on the letter don't seem to allow for that, just a general reschedule whenever another appointment is available. Or is it possible to just walk in? Her preference would be to get it done the week before what is currently scheduled.

thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

An early walk in is always a possibility; we did just that for AOS and ROC without incident. However, your wife may be turned away that day and should be prepared to reschedule if she is unable to complete the bio by the time of the appointment. My concern about her attempting the walk in the week before the currently scheduled appointment is that if in fact she is turned away, she might run into problems attempting to reschedule being so close to the date.

Then again those who have rescheduled might say that as long as you contact USCIS prior to the appointment date, even just a day before, then you shall have no problems rescheduling. Not sure on that one, but if it were me, I would be doing the walk in as soon as possible to be sure it's done in time and just to get it over with.

All the best

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi guys,

My wife just received her biometrics appointment date but cannot make it that day. Are we able to reschedule it for a specific day? The instructions on the letter don't seem to allow for that, just a general reschedule whenever another appointment is available. Or is it possible to just walk in? Her preference would be to get it done the week before what is currently scheduled.

thanks!

I had the same issue. Our USCIS center is 5-6 hours away and usually requires an overnight stay. My wife works and getting time off (burning valuable vacation time) is difficult and requires weeks notice. The letter states to check the "reschedule" box and mail to the service center who will then reschedule the biometric appointment. The problem is you cannot specify a day, you may get another date that may be just as inconvenient.

I called the 800 number to USCIS to inquire about getting a specific date. Needless to say it was a wasted (as all my phone calls to them) 15 minutes. "You simply need to follow the instructions on your form 797....."

I read where some people wrote a letter explaining their situation and needing a specific date for an appointment and sent to the USCIS center with varying results. We did not do this since we were now 1 week from our date so we just

took the vacation time and get it over with.

I am not sure if a walk-in is allowed, the guard always checks the appointment letter, date and ID. If you are scheduled for say Monday and go 1 week early will they let you in? Doubtful. If you live close to the center you can try that. Of course there is that helpful 800 number to call......

Good luck

Edited by gary9891

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

We successfully did a walk-in. We were almost turned away, but my husband showed his school schedule and explained that he has class the day of the originally scheduled appointment. They let him in. I believe that you are correct when you say that requesting a reschedule does not allow you to pick a specific date; it will just be the day that they have another opening. Good luck!

event.png

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi,

Our Biometrics appointment is on Jan 9, 2012 at Baltimore. It seems some ASCs allow walkin's easily and some don't. I checked online and from others experience, Baltimore does not accept walkins. I even called USCIS to check if they will allow us to do walkin in at Baltimore, but they said I have to reschedule. Since, I thought I have nothing to lose, We just went to Balimore ASC on Dec 31st. Initially they were reluctant to accept walkin, but when I told them that my wife is pregnant ( Biometrics is for her) and I will be out of town and cann't drive, they allowed her to do the Biometrics. They also said, next time, if you cannot make it on the scheduled date, you can walkin anytime after that date.

So if you can try to do a walkin early, you have nothing to lose. Also, it seems you can always to do walkins after the scheduled date (atleast that's what the lady at Baltimore ASC implied). BTW, it seems there are certain ASCs for example one in Virignia, which accepts walkins readily.

Good Luck!

- Charles

anybody else with any experience at walk ins ? my appointment is schedule for January 16, 2013but i am going to be moving out of state January 3, 2013! somebody help! :(

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.