Jacob707

Need help with document translation for interview

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi i need help with translating documents (birth certificate, police records) for the interview at the embassy..... Is this something i can do myself since i speak spanish?( simply create a document that has the exact info but in english? Or is there a place in colombia that does that?)

For anyone whos wondering my noa1 is dated sep3, noa2 is jan19, interview is mar 14..... i was processed by the california service center , Dealing with the colombian embassy

also found out my fiancee is pregnant!

i got a ton of help from this site....

Thanks to everyone who contributes

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Doesn't your embassy accept documents in English and Spanish? I know my embassy (Paris) accepts documents in English and French.

K-1 Visa Timeline AOS Timeline

- Aug 31st, 2011 - Mailed I-129F package - May 29th, 2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP package

- Apr 13th, 2012 - Visa received - Aug 24th, 2012 - Green Card received

ROC Timeline

- May 19th, 2014 - Mailed ROC package to CSC

- Aug 8th, 2014 - Green Card received

N-400 Timeline

- Dec 29th, 2021 - Filed online. Got notice that biometrics will be reused.

- Now waiting...

Hi i need help with translating documents (birth certificate, police records) for the interview at the embassy..... Is this something i can do myself since i speak spanish?( simply create a document that has the exact info but in english? Or is there a place in colombia that does that?)

For anyone whos wondering my noa1 is dated sep3, noa2 is jan19, interview is mar 14..... i was processed by the california service center , Dealing with the colombian embassy

also found out my fiancee is pregnant!

i got a ton of help from this site....

Thanks to everyone who contributes

Correct me if I am wrong but I read in the Bogota K1-K2 Packet DEC 7, page 2 of 7.... "We can return most original documents if you also bring notarized photocopies to your interview. If you already included an English translation in the documents you submitted to USCIS as part of the petition process, you do not need to provide additional English translations or duplicate copies."

http://bogota.usembassy.gov/appt-package.html / http://photos.state.gov/libraries/colombia/231771/PDFs/English_K1K2Packetdec7.pdf

When you do the AOS, if a Birth Certificate needs to be sent, this should be translated. Also any additional paper work to send while in the US and is in a language other than English, would have to be translated and notorized.

K1 VISA PROCESS
2011-10-24: I-129F Sent from Doral, FL to lock box, Dallas, TX
2011-10-31: Received USCIS NOA1 Letter
2012-04-02 (8:30AM): I-129F Approved. NO RFE!
2012-04-06: Received USCIS NOA2 Letter
2012-06-06: Interview / Approved!!!
2012-06-15: (2:20PM) POE Miami International Airport
2012-06-26: Married

AOS PROCESS
2012-08-31: Sent I-485 and I-765 applications from Doral, FL to lock box, Chicago, IL
2012-09-06: Case accepted and routed to USCIS National Benefits Center for processing
2012-09-13: Received both I-485 and I-765 NOA's (9/6/12) and the Biometrics appointment letter
2012-10-03: Biometrics taken
2012-11-05: I-765 - Approved - Employment Authorization Card production ordered
2012-11-09: I-765 - Employment Authorization Card mailed
2012-11-13: I-765 - Employment Authorization Card received

2013-07-05 (11:45AM): AOS Approved. NO RFE. NO Interview.

2013-07-11: Green Card mailed.

2013-07-12: Received I-797, NOA, Welcome to the USA

2013-07-15: Green Card received.

2016-04-06: Earliest Accepted ROC Filing Date

AOS Approved 7/5/2013:
308 days (10 months & 8 days) since AOS package was sent
302 days (10 months & 2 days) since NOA1
275 days (9 months & 5 days) since Biometrics taken

1PVym5.png

Filed: Timeline

Yes foreign documents must be translated. You (the petitioner) can translate the document word for word and it should say at the end:

I (translator's name), certify that I am fluent in the English and Spanish languages, that I am competent to perform the translation and that the above translation is the complete and accurate translation of the document entitled (document title).

Your signature_____________

type your name ____________

Address and telephone number______

I translated all my Spanish documents. Good luck! :star:

Timeline

Yes foreign documents must be translated. You (the petitioner) can translate the document word for word and it should say at the end:

I (translator's name), certify that I am fluent in the English and Spanish languages, that I am competent to perform the translation and that the above translation is the complete and accurate translation of the document entitled (document title).

Your signature_____________

type your name ____________

Address and telephone number______

I translated all my Spanish documents. Good luck! :star:

Not at the interview stage. The embassy should be able to accept documents in English AND in the language of where the embassy is, Spanish for Columbia.

But I agree with OZ62 that the OP will need translations of his spanish documents at the AOS stage.

- Aug 31st, 2011 - Mailed I-129F package - May 29th, 2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP package

ROC Timeline

N-400 Timeline

- Now waiting...

Timeline

Not at the interview stage. The embassy should be able to accept documents in English AND in the language of where the embassy is, Spanish for Columbia.

But I agree with OZ62 that the OP will need translations of his spanish documents at the AOS stage.

Well the info packet the embassy sent me says clearly what we need to bring to the interview and it says we HAVE to bring translations of any documents that are in spanish ( it says if i have already given them the translations i dont have to again but i didnt ), since the birth certificate and police report are in spanish im going to trust that the Colombian Embassy is correct, we have to bring these things along with the aos ( i-134), among other things... Thanks everyone for your help

Well the info packet the embassy sent me says clearly what we need to bring to the interview and it says we HAVE to bring translations of any documents that are in spanish ( it says if i have already given them the translations i dont have to again but i didnt ), since the birth certificate and police report are in spanish im going to trust that the Colombian Embassy is correct, we have to bring these things along with the aos ( i-134), among other things... Thanks everyone for your help

Any way you can scan and attach a copy of your packet for us?

K1 VISA PROCESS

AOS PROCESS
2012-08-31: Sent I-485 and I-765 applications from Doral, FL to lock box, Chicago, IL
2012-09-06: Case accepted and routed to USCIS National Benefits Center for processing
2012-09-13: Received both I-485 and I-765 NOA's (9/6/12) and the Biometrics appointment letter

AOS Approved 7/5/2013:

1PVym5.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

sure its an email attachment .... i got this about three weeks after i got the noa2/petition approval

I just read your document and it says

We can return most original documents if you also bring notarized photocopies to your interview. If you already included an English translation in the documents you submitted to USCIS as part of the petition process, you do not need to provide additional English translations or duplicate copies.
BIRTH CERTIFICATES: Each applicant must present an original or a notarized copy of his/her birth certificate. The date and place of birth, parents‟ names, and date the birth was registered must be included. We do not accept „short form‟ birth certificates, as they are not official extracts from government records. Applicants who present birth certificates issued more than two years after their birth (including corrected birth certificates) should be prepared to provide additional documentation of their birth, including baptismal certificates and/or the original birth certificate

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't say that your BC has to be translated. That usually applies if your language is neither English or Spanish

Here in Argentina, we present our documents in Spanish, unless you are, for example: Japanese, living in Argentina, and your birth certificate is in Japanese (hence neither Spanish nor English) THEN it would need translation. I'm sure someone from Colombia can corroborate this information, but I believe it's like this at every Embassy because the COs speak English and the language of the Country in which the Embassy is located.

Timeline

I looked at the packet you attached and it doesn't specify "in spanish". Now, I did a quick search and found this Packet 4 at the Bogota embassy (dated March 2007 but this kind of infos doesn't change much) http://bogota.usembassy.gov/root/pdfs/wwwfcivappointment_temp.pdf and you can read this:

"All the documents that are not written in Spanish or in English must be translated to English and must be duly authenticated. If you bring a photocopy accompanied by the original, we shall return the original of some of the documents."

There's also this link, still from the Bogota Embassy: http://bogota.usembassy.gov/root/pdfs/consular/ivinstructionsfeb09.pdf

"Translations are NOT required for documents written in Spanish or English."

I don't say I'm right, I would be you, I would contact the Embassy to be sure, but it appears strongly documents in Spanish are accepted. And again, I agree that you would need translations at the AOS stage because you would be dealing with the USCIS, and not a spanish-Columbia linked establishment.

Edited by didopage

ROC Timeline

N-400 Timeline

- Now waiting...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

So i just got off the phone with the embassy and they confirmed yes i need the spanish documents translated in english ( answered "yes" like i was the stupid call of the day) lol

Jacob, I think some of us have learned that the people who answer the phone at the embassy work in the cafeteria. I never saw anything about translating documents for the interview to English either, however, for the birth certificate, it's my understanding that it should be translated to English as it will be required once the beneficiary gets to the US to get a drivers license as an example, so I would say, get it translated prior to your interview, but submit the Spanish version and if they ask for it in English, you already have it to give them.

Jon & Clau

Timeline

Jacob, I think some of us have learned that the people who answer the phone at the embassy work in the cafeteria. I never saw anything about translating documents for the interview to English either, however, for the birth certificate, it's my understanding that it should be translated to English as it will be required once the beneficiary gets to the US to get a drivers license as an example, so I would say, get it translated prior to your interview, but submit the Spanish version and if they ask for it in English, you already have it to give them.

Jon & Clau

wow just wow , up until now ive always seen good , straight forward advice (to others), here people seem to be trying to spread the wrong info..... why would you suggest not submitting it anyway...... the idea that the embassy deleted the ability to submit the spanish document in the instructions, yet it would still accept in the interview is just insane , read the instructions people, its very clear,

Podemos devolver la mayoría de los documentos originales si usted trae también fotocopias autenticadas a su entrevista. Si usted incluyó traducciones al inglés de los documentos que usted envió a USCIS como parte del proceso de la petición, no necesita traer traducciones adicionales o copias.

We can return most original documents if you also bring notarized photocopies to your interview. If you already included an English translation in the documents you submitted to USCIS as part of the petition process, you do not need to provide additional English translations or duplicate copies.

how on earth someone could read this statement and say "no you dont need that " is mind-boggling

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

wow just wow , up until now ive always seen good , straight forward advice (to others), here people seem to be trying to spread the wrong info..... why would you suggest not submitting it anyway...... the idea that the embassy deleted the ability to submit the spanish document in the instructions, yet it would still accept in the interview is just insane , read the instructions people, its very clear,

Podemos devolver la mayoría de los documentos originales si usted trae también fotocopias autenticadas a su entrevista. Si usted incluyó traducciones al inglés de los documentos que usted envió a USCIS como parte del proceso de la petición, no necesita traer traducciones adicionales o copias.

how on earth someone could read this statement and say "no you dont need that " is mind-boggling

Jacob,I think you mis-understood what I said, I never said NOT to submit it, I said submit the Spanish version of the Birth Certificate, and IF, they want an English version, then you have it as you need to at some point anyway. The bad info has been coming from the embassy staff as I have experienced first had!!!

Jon & Clau

Jacob,I think you mis-understood what I said, I never said NOT to submit it, I said submit the Spanish version of the Birth Certificate, and IF, they want an English version, then you have it as you need to at some point anyway. The bad info has been coming from the embassy staff as I have experienced first had!!!

Jon & Clau

http://antecedentes.policia.gov.co:7003/WebJudicial/index.xhtml

For POLICE report use the above link, all you need is the CEDULA number. If you use Google Chrome web browser, it will ask if you want to translate the page to English. I first did a screen capture of the spanish and then the english. I then cropped both pictures and printed both English and Spanish copies.

I played with her Spanish birth certificate, translating it into English, looks good, used Google translate among other things. Did some Googling and looks like I have a nice finish product. The only thing, I cannot tell by signature who signed it at the bottom. Says First Notario, but cannot tell who? I am going to have my future esposa go and find out who this person is. She already has the long form birth certificate. She had the short form, it did not say who the parents were, witness, etc... Had her go and get the long form and it has everything. Mother, Father, Grand Parents, Great Grand Parents, and Witnesses.

[url=http://antecedentes.policia.gov.co:7003/WebJudicial/index.xhtml][/url]

K1 VISA PROCESS

AOS PROCESS

AOS Approved 7/5/2013:

1PVym5.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.