Nymphadora

K-1 visa or I-130 form?

7 posts in this topic

Hi!

I'm a Swedish citizen, and my fiancé is an american citizen.

We are planning to get married, but we don't know which way's the quickest way. If there is any "quick" way.

I'm planning to go to America to live with him there.

One alternative is to get married in Sweden, but then my fiancé will have to file for a I-130 form (relative alien petition),

but how long would it take to get that approved? I've read that it can take YEARS, but it can also take 6 months.

The other alternative is to apply for a K-1 Fiancé visa, which takes about 8 months to get approved.

We just want to get married and be together, but it all seems so hard.

I would really appreciate advices about this matter!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Hi!

I'm a Swedish citizen, and my fiancé is an american citizen.

We are planning to get married, but we don't know which way's the quickest way. If there is any "quick" way.

I'm planning to go to America to live with him there.

One alternative is to get married in Sweden, but then my fiancé will have to file for a I-130 form (relative alien petition),

but how long would it take to get that approved? I've read that it can take YEARS, but it can also take 6 months.

The other alternative is to apply for a K-1 Fiancé visa, which takes about 8 months to get approved.

We just want to get married and be together, but it all seems so hard.

I would really appreciate advices about this matter!

Welcome to the forum.

Check out the site for great information, including the visa comparisons in the Guides .

It is a long and protracted process, but the results are worth the effort!

Good luck.

Edited by A&B

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

The K1 is a few weeks quicker, plus, assuming you have met in person in the last 2 years you can file right now, whereas for the CR-1 spousal visa you'd need to meet again and get married first, so that delays things an additional few weeks/ months. Thus, if fast is your only criteria, go for the K1 fiance visa. But that visa is more expensive in the long run, and means the foreigner cannot travel or work for several months after arrival in the USA- a major negative.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

There really is no quick way.

You will need to decide on some certain things.

1, do you want to work right away or would you be happy to wait a few months?

If you want to work right away you need to marry and file CR-1. That gets you a green card on entry.

If you want to wait and there is no rush to work, wait and file a fiance(e) visa.

2, do you want to marry and then be separated for possibly a year or would you want to wait, marry and then not have to be separated after marriage?

If you want to marry right now and be separated after that would be a CR-1 petition.

If you want to wait to get married and not be separated after your marriage - you would file for the I-129F fiance petition ( marriage after entry to the US on the visa. )

http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

Disregard the K-3 information K-3 is no longer available.

http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=Sweden&cty=Stockholm

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Serbia
Timeline

If you get married and he files an I-130 it shouldn't take longer than 12 months if everything goes smoothly. I applied for my husband on December 30th, 2010 and he had his interview on Sept. 23rd,2011 visa in hand 2 or 3 days later. Mind you we had gotten an RFE at the NVC stage and that set us back a month but it was all fine.

[font="Century Gothic"]Married March 27, 2010
Sent out I-130 December 29, 2010
Recieved NOA 1 January 4, 2011
Touched January 6, 2011
Recieved NOA 2 May 9, 2011
Interview September 27, 2011
Visa in hand Septmeber 30, 2011 (it would of been the same day as the interview but they requested some more info)
POE - JFK, NYC October 12, 2011 [/font]

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;0;23/st/20100327/e/Since+our+wedding/k/ccbb/event.png[/img]
[/url]

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

I applied for K1 in Jan 2011, I got interview in June. I got visa in hand in Jurly. I came over here, US and got married in Sep. (cuz I was needed to give one month notice to resign from my job). We filed AOS in end of Sep. I got my AOS approval in Dec 2011. This is my one year journey. FYI.

If you get married and he files an I-130, there's no AOS journey. But, it takes longer than K1 to be together with your sweetheart.

heart.gif My AOS journey

Sep 15 2011 - married

Sep 26 2011 - applied for AOS

Sep 28 2011 - my pkt delivered in Chicago

Sep 30 2011 - Received email of NOA for AOS,EAD,and AP

Oct 03 2011 - applied for SSN

Oct 04 2011 - received hard copy of NOA for AOS,EAD, & AP

Oct 08 2011 - received biometrics appt. letter in the mail

Oct 21 2011 - biometrics appt. @1pm at Sacramento USCIS

Nov 18 2011 - got email notification of interview date

Nov 21 2011 - got hard copy NOA for my interview

Nov 23 2011 - got email notification of EAD and AP approval

Dec 22 2011 - interview (approved on the spot!!!)dancin5hr.gif

Dec 27 2011 - received welcome letter in the mail

Dec 31 2011 - GC in hand

heart.gif ROC Journey

Sep 24 2013 - mailed my package

Sep 26 2013 - package deliverd

Oct 02 2013 - received NOA1 (Received dated 9/26/2013)

Oct 07 2013 - received biometrics appt. letter in the mail (for 10/23/2013)

Oct 23 2013 - Biometrics at Sacremento USCIS

Jan 14 2014 - received email notification of approval dancin5hr.gif(without interview)

Jan 21 2014 - card recevied

heart.gif My Naturalization Journey

Sep 24 2014 - mailed my package

Oct 01 2014 - NOA1

Oct 04 2014 - received bio apt letter

Oct 21 2014 - biometrics

Nov 03 2014 - received yellow letter

Nov 24 2014 - received notification of in-line for interview

Dec 06 2014 - received interview letter in mail

Jan 05 2014 - Interview "PASSED", received letter for the oath ceremony

Jan 21 2014 - Oath Ceremony :dancing:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.